Perth Travel Answers

change location

Perth on a Budget

by aemii Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Hi, I'm kinda new here, please be nice.

I am planing to have a small trip to Perth(Australia) with my fiance.
It'll be in late May 2013, 4d3n trip. i think its gonna be autumn, hopefully it is not that bad.

So far below are the itineraries that we planned:
1. Kings Park & Botanic Garden (sightseeing)
2. Western Australian Museum (sightseeing)
3. Kings Street (Shopping)
4. Penguin Island (sightseeing)
5. Cottesloe Beach (swimming)
6. Fremantle

We have trouble figuring out an service apartment that within a budget of Aust$140 or below per night. We thought of Mountway Holiday Apartment or City Waters, what do you guys think?

Also, we both plan to take the public transport since we travel around the city. any idea whether is it a better/safe to travel via public transport?

finally, please give us your suggestions and views on perth since its our first trip there. we need suggestions on better itineraries, public transport and especially service apartment.

thank you!

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • Re: Perth on a Budget

by Borisborough Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM

A trip out to Rottness Island to see the quokkas should probably be on your to-do list although I can't remeber how much it is - http://www.rottnestisland.com/ should give you some idea - even in May you can spend a full day there exploring the island and even having a swim.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • muratkorman's Profile Photo

Re: Perth on a Budget

by muratkorman Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 12:08 AM

You can check my Perth page for some useful tips. About accomodation, the hotel we stayed was very nice. I hope you get some useful info from there.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Another vote for Rottnest Island!!!

Besides what you have already listed: I'd add a visit to the Perth Mint, visit the museum and see the gold pouring. And splurge in jewellery, even if it's just by looking at it.

Perth has an excellent zoo, reachable by ferry from the city centre. Then there is the big aquarium out in Hillary's Boat Harbour.

Welcome to VT! Have you already discovered the travel pages that people wrote? There is a lot about Perth in here. If yyou enter "Perth" in the destination search box in the top right corner of this page, you will be taken to the "Perth Travel Guide" which is an overview of what members wrote.
    Or click, for example, on my (or muratkomrman's or or someone else's) username on the right, which takes you to the member's profile page, then "travel map", and in the "Oceania" part you have the thumbnails of my Australia pages, where you'll find pages about Perth, Freo, and Rottnest among others.

Enjoy Perth! I liked the city a lot.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Freemantle was very good. It had an excellent museum and a good market. I believe we went there by train and stopped off at Cottesloe Beach on the way back. Easy by public transport.

I would agree with the others that Rottnest is well worth seeing. It's a lovely boat ride there and it has lots of stuff relating to the second world war and is covered in quokkas. They are marsupials which look like cute rats.

Perth itself is very pleasant. It had a bell tower down by the river, cute kangaroo statues, the mint, a Tudor style street and a lovely botanical garden. We took a picnic there on Christmas day.

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

by sirgaw Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Another vote for Rottnest - and I'm thinking your list shows Penguin Island and you really mean Rotto as Rottnest Island is called by the locals.

Also Kings Street - I think you mean Hay Street Mall - if so include London Court and close by one of the very few 'upside down' statues in the world - Percy Button.

As mentioned by others, Freemantle is worth a day trip and the Freemantle Jail is worth visiting.

Accomodation - try wotif.com and you may be able to find better prices in there. Nots that May may not be shown as yet - so wait a month or so. Perth can be expensive.

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 6:19 AM

i have used public transport in perth and found it to be very good - quite safe and not too crowded even in rush hour and very clean

i will be going to perth myself in a few weeks and staying with a friend and she will be lending me her visitors smartrider card -

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 6:25 AM

transperth.wa.gov.au/Tickets...

you might want to consider buying smartrider cards -10 each - though you can buy cash tickets

i am almost certain you get cheaper fares via smartrider - it depends how much you will be travelling as to whether it would be worth it

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

by sirgaw Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Following on from Craic, much of the inner area of Perth and certainly the CBD has free buses that criss-cross. Called CAT I think there are 5 different CAT routes - transperth.wa.gov.au/Timetab...

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 2:57 AM

The free CAT buses can save you a lot of walking. There are, if I remember correctly, three lines in central Perth (red, blue and green) and one in Fremantle (orange).

The orange CAT does a circular route all around Freo centre, so it can be used for a little tour of the city.

by aemii Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Thanks for all of your replies.

Sound Rottness Island is a must-go destination. Will definitely add that to my itineraries.

Thanks Muratkorman! Ive checked your Perth page. Lots of useful tips there.

Also, Sirgaw... Im gonna check out London Court and Hay Street Mall.
    Yup Craic , I'm planing to purchase smartrider card for travelling.

Any idea where can I buy genuine UGG boots in perth with discounted prices?

• lucy321's Profile Photo

by lucy321 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 4:10 AM

I got my last pair of ugg boots at Fremantle Markets (FM are open Friday, Saturday and Sunday). I'm not sure what constitutes genuine ugg boots but on the label it says 'Uggs Bindoon Boots Australia" and they are lovely. They weren't discounted, though! I'm not sure what sort of shopping you are interested in so I'm assuming it is clothes.

There is definitely shopping in King Street. It is generally fairly expensive and 'brand name'. It has a good shoe shop, Zomp, which has a lot of stock. It's quite easy to walk to Kings Park from there (say 20-25 minutes). You just walk west along St George's Terrace for a couple of blocks, turn left at Mount Street, walk over the footbridge which crosses the Mitchell Freeway, up a very steep hill, keep going straight ahead across the roundabout, along Bellevue Terrace (very expensive houses and apartments) and you are in Kings Park. Keep the river to your left and eventually you will come to the treetop bridge which is quite beautiful. If you had turned left at the roundabout, you would find yourself at the top of Jacob's Ladder, which has an amazing view.

A few kilometres from there is Subiaco, which also has some good shopping, mainly Rokeby Road (between Bagot Road and Roberts Road) and the adjacent eastern section of Hay Street. However, Perth isn't particularly good for shopping (Melbourne is the place for that).

I would definitely visit Fremantle, and it is easy to get there by train. There is a good shoe shop called Bodkins Bootery in High Street. That's if you like good quality leather shoes and boots, and there is a good men's selection as well as women's.

Finally, if you want to see kangaroos, the best place is Pinnaroo Valley Memorial Park (yes, a cemetery!) in suburban Whitfords. There are heaps of them there, lounging around on the graves, eating the bunches of flowers left on the graves, and you will often see joeys in their mother's pouches.

by aemii Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM

lucy321 wrote: I got my last pair of ugg boots at Fremantle Markets (FM are open Friday, Saturday and Sunday). I'm not sure what constitutes genuine ugg boots but on the label it says 'Uggs Bindoon Boots Australia" and they are lovely. They weren't discounted, though! I'm not sure what sort of shopping you are interested in so I'm assuming it is clothes.

There is definitely shopping in King Street. It is generally fairly expensive and 'brand name'. It has a good shoe shop, Zomp, which has a lot of stock. It's quite easy to walk to Kings Park from there (say 20-25 minutes). You just walk west along St George's Terrace for a couple of blocks, turn left at Mount Street, walk over the footbridge which crosses the Mitchell Freeway, up a very steep hill, keep going straight ahead across the roundabout, along Bellevue Terrace (very expensive houses and apartments) and you are in Kings Park. Keep the river to your left and eventually you will come to the treetop bridge which is quite beautiful. If you had turned left at the roundabout, you would find yourself at the top of Jacob's Ladder, which has an amazing view.

A few kilometres from there is Subiaco, which also has some good shopping, mainly Rokeby Road (between Bagot Road and Roberts Road) and the adjacent eastern section of Hay Street. However, Perth isn't particularly good for shopping (Melbourne is the place for that).

I would definitely visit Fremantle, and it is easy to get there by train. There is a good shoe shop called Bodkins Bootery in High Street. That's if you like good quality leather shoes and boots, and there is a good men's selection as well as women's.

Finally, if you want to see kangaroos, the best place is Pinnaroo Valley Memorial Park (yes, a cemetery!) in suburban Whitfords. There are heaps of them there, lounging around on the graves, eating the bunches of flowers left on the graves, and you will often see joeys in their mother's pouches.

Thanks lucy321, 

The main focus of this trip is more into sightseeing, seafood  and maybe shopping. Also, you mention above that perth is not a shopping haven compare to Melbourne. Yikes! I'm kinda curious bout UGG boots, since it a cause quite a fashion buzz. Nevertheless, I will look for some wellies or rainboots since the weather in May is mostly rainy if i not wrong.

Also, i heard bout habourtown outlet shopping centre. Is it worth the hype? Wonder where can I get some affordable wellies?

A trip to Pinnaroo Valley Memorial Park, the cemetery  Errr.. I take note of that. Haha.

Seems trip around Perth is quite accessible with the good transportation. I'm becoming more confident to travel there.

All thanks to those who helped out. 

Cheers!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines