Perth Travel Answers

change location
funkycarla8's Profile Photo

Perth to Port Hedland?

by funkycarla8 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Hello,
I'm looking at travelling to AUS next Feb. I plan to arrive in Perth and travel to see family in Port Hedland then over to the east coast to visit other family there, then fly back to the UK from Sydney.

Which is the best/cheapest way to travel from Perth to Port Hedland? Flying/car hire/coach?

All help would be gratefully received.

Carla :)

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • ryanteddog's Profile Photo

Re: Perth to Port Hedland?

by ryanteddog Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM

i would just fly up. its a very long and boring road to either drive or catch the coach.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by ryanteddog Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM

i would fly if i were you. it is a very long and boring road to drive or catch the coach.
    i have driven it quite a few times from albany to port hedland for work and it is just so bloody... yawn, what were we talking about?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• hmb10's Profile Photo

by hmb10 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Hi funkycarla! If it's the journey as well as the destination,go by coach, paticularly if you have not experienced the vast open country that the northern part of Western Australia offers...VERY different from a UK or European trip of similar distance.Yes to some it may be boring..but it still has appeal IMO. If time factor is important then definitly fly....also if you don't have a good book, music to listen too and something soft to place between your head and the window...if by coach,you must have window seat! Then Fly.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I would like to sit on the bus and see the countryside and get a feel for the area, but i can understand if people want to fly to get from A to B. I used to visit Scotland every 2 years and always enjoyed sitting on the bus and train observing the countryside from the window.Also you can strike up a conversation with your fellow passengers on the long trip. Now, My wife is different as she has not much interest in looking out of the window, and to my annoyance she will sleep most of the way!!!

by ryanteddog Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 11:24 PM

it is good to take in the countryside. i have done this drive 4 times and the first time was quite interesting in the way the terrain changes from pastures to barren red desert.
    depends on your time frame i guess. once in port hedland i recomend a trip out to karijini national park. this will give you a taste of open desert roads with a spectacular series of rock gorges and natural pools. Python pool amoung others.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Look for a cheap flight , Jetsatar

Your family/ friends in Port Hedland should be able to advise the cheapest and best. It is a long way to travel, often cheapest is not best. Take a flight.

• Re: Perth to Port Hedland?

by mark_eibl Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Flying is the cheapest option but not the best. Trip of a life time to drive the Nullabor, seeing lots of OZ animals and great places along the way

• miki64's Profile Photo

by miki64 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Depend if you want to see something during your trip. I did it in reverse by bus and there are a lot things to see like for example karinjini national park and many more

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines