Perth Travel Answers

change location

first time in Perth. please help!

by SandraLim Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Me and my husband bringing my 15 months girl to perth end of july13. We will stay there for 5 days.
Our flight will reach perth at night time around 23.00. We planning stay at YHA (wellington street).any suggestionwhat is the best way I can reach YHA from airport at this late night time?
Please help to give some idea how could I spend my time in perth? I planning not go far way, just sightseeing in city area and go to rottnest island.
Thanks.

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: first time in Perth. please help!

by davidjo Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM

www3.yha.com.au/hostels/wa/p...

If you study the YHA site you will notice that they can arrange for the airport shuttle to take you directly from the airport to the YHA in Wellington St. Whether this service is 24hrs i do not know but suggest you contact the YHA. It looks like a beautiful building and there is a travel desk where you will be able to inquire about the area of Perth and things to so.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM

http://www.perthairportconnect.com.au/

INFO regarding the shuttle

• Re: first time in Perth. please help!

by SandraLim Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Davidjo, thanks for prompt reply. Very useful links. :)

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I guess taxi is your only option at that time to reach your hotel from the airport. King's Park could be nice to walk around. You can use the free shuttles (Cats) which can drop you off in different parts of the city. I strongly suggest you visit Fremantle and Cottsloe beach. It's easy to access by train. You can check my Perth page for some useful tips.
    "A relaxing city" - Perth by muratkorman

• Ozziegiraffe's Profile Photo

by Ozziegiraffe Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Hillary's Boat Harbour is worth a visit. A cross between a beach a shopping mall and a theme park.
    You might find it difficult to get to Rottnest in July, as it is mid-winter, and boats do not go when it is rough.
    If you like food and wine, the Swan Valley is worth a visit.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Perth has a lovely botanical gardens, a cathedral, a bell tower where at certain times they ring the bells, a Tudor style shopping street, a mint where they pour gold at certain times, a river - the Swan River and kangaroo statues.

I loved Freemantle which had a great museum which housed the Batavia a ship that sank during a mutiny while taking Dutch settlers to Java. It also had a great market. I loved Rottnest Island but i was there in summer. It has strange marsupials called quokkas, war installations, beaches, lovely walks.

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

by sirgaw Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 5:37 AM

My 2 daughters stayed at the Wellington St YHA and quite happy with it - not sure if it is child friendly and suggest asking (email) to see if they have cots available.

Be aware that Perth is quite expensive as they are going through boom times.

by SandraLim Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Dear all , thanks for all suggestion. I will try to add on those places to my itinenary. :)
    Sirgaw, if no cot provided, our baby can sleep with us. Anyway, i have emailed to YHA to check already. Thanks for remind. :)
    By the way, may i know how is weather during that period? Checked internet, it is about 9-18 C. Do we need to let my baby wear winter clothes? or just a normal sweater and jacket will do?
    At last, can i bring baby food like cereals or purees in bottle go in australia? Remember last time when i been Melbourne, all foods are prohibited to bring in.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 4:01 PM

July is winter in Perth, there is a chill factor as Perth can be very windy. I would bring some winter clothing, and rain protection. However some winter days can be superb, sunny and calm. Nights and early morning will be cold.

YHA is central to city, a good location.

Day trip, take the train to Mandurah, only 1 hour , buy a family pass. check hours it is valid for before purchase. Check out Mandurah VT page, and take the Ferry trip around the waterway.

• Ozziegiraffe's Profile Photo

by Ozziegiraffe Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 3:58 AM

You will need to declare any food,including baby food on your customs declaration. Some may be allowed, others are never allowed, but if you don't declare food,they wil fine you, even if it was OK to bring in.

by SandraLim Online Now Apr 10, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Thanks for feedback. :)

In this case, any idea would i easy to get baby food from local hypermarket? As in milk powder?

by SandraLim Online Now Jul 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Hi all, i have a question. Is it better if make advance booking for ferry service to Rottnest Islands? Thanks.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Jul 24, 2013 at 12:41 AM

No, there will be plenty of seats on the Rottnest Ferry in July, better still without booking in advance you can watch the weather and go on a fine day.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines