Penzance Travel Answers

change location
pepemorris11's Profile Photo

From Heathrow to Penzance

by pepemorris11 Online Now Dec 30, 2007 at 4:58 AM

Hi there! We are 2 couples in our 50s and 60s and we shall be visiting England for at least a month. We would like to take a train/bus whichever is cheaper to Penzance where we intend to book a car just to travel the Cornwall area. From there, we intend to take a train to the Cotswolds and to pick up another car. We may want to go to Pembrook too. How do I book a train or coach from Heathrow. is it better to prebook it or to buy a british rail pass? Any help is valuable. thank you

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Re: From Heathrow to Penzance

by edalerichard Online Now Dec 30, 2007 at 7:18 AM

Prebook train or bus to get cheapest fares. Natioanl Express buses were doing fun fares of £1 on that route in summer. Also check megatrain, don't say when youre travelling , but London-Exeter for 4 people is £29 at the mo.
    Most likely to be cheaper to travell into central London , before setting off.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: From Heathrow to Penzance

by leics Online Now Dec 30, 2007 at 9:22 AM

www.nationalexpress.com for coach times and fares
    www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times and fares

Coaches are cheaper, but journey times are longer than trains (usually).

Booking online beforehand makes sense, because fares in advance are usually cheaper: for the train you can collect your ticket using 'fast ticket'machines at the station but you must make sure you bring the same credit card with you as you used to book. You can easily buy walk-up tickets for trains (although you may have to stand, and it won't be the cheapest fare), but with coaches you run the risk of there being no seats left so pre-booking is always sensible.

I doubt it will be worthwhile getting a railpass, but if you use the site above you can work out the fares for your potential journeys and then see if a pass is going to work out cheaper (or not, which is probable).

• Re: From Heathrow to Penzance

by K_V_B Online Now Dec 30, 2007 at 1:46 PM

At Heathrow take the bus to Reading, where there are trains to Penzance about every hour or so.

• pepemorris11's Profile Photo

Re: From Heathrow to Penzance

by pepemorris11 Online Now Dec 31, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Thank you all for your advice. Yes, i will check the map with the others again. at the moment, we r just brainstorming places which we would like to visit and then I will be able as suggested to ask more specific questions. btw we shall be visiting from April 8 to May 8. thanks again for the tips adn be happy wherever u r.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines