Penzance Travel Answers

change location
LouiseTopp's Profile Photo

Advice for first time visitors

by LouiseTopp Online Now Jan 7, 2006 at 11:50 AM

Hi I would like to visit Cornwall at the end of August, but I'm not sure whether to visit Newquay or Penzance, can anyone give me any advice please? I would like a place where the retail is good,and the beaches but also the scenery.

Can someone also recommend a hostel place which is good. We are two girls and this would be our first visit. Many thanks.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo

RE: Advice for first time visitors

by Geoff_Wright Online Now Jan 7, 2006 at 3:04 PM

Hi Jane,

Well you couldn't have picked two so different places, like chalk and cheese! whilst Newquay has the wonderful sandy beaches, it also has the tourist crowds, mostly young and rowdy in the summer, and end of August will be the Bank Holiday too.

Penzance, on the other coast, is more relaxed, but can still be a 'fun' town, but hasn't the beaches or surfing like Newquay. Both have great scenery, but I would suggest Penzance and west Cornwall/Land's End/The Lizard are more spectacular than Newquay.

Can't help you with hostels, but you could look on some websites, which should give some links. Have a great time.

Geoff on Bodmin Moor.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Advice for first time visitors

by brazzi Online Now Jan 8, 2006 at 8:08 AM

sennen cove, and porthcurno, are my favourite
    areas of cornwall,try website cornwallfarwest.com for accomodation.
    sennen cove is well situated for walking,coast path to lands end, beach etc.
    and is very quiet.
    also worth going to in the area minack theatre (open air)
    st michaels mount near penzance.
    but this might be too peaceful if you are younger,noise and lots of people (also good beaches)can be foundat newquay

• psychocy's Profile Photo

RE: Advice for first time visitors

by psychocy Online Now Jan 9, 2006 at 8:43 AM

Hello,

If you go to Penzance, please check out my Penzance pages for fun stuff to do. Also look at my Marazion, Newlyn, Mousehole, and Sancreed pages - they're all walking distance from Penzance.

If you do choose Penzance (an awesome place, btw) try the lodgings recommended in either my Marazion or Sancreed pages. Sancreed House will require you to take the bus (I think it's 85 pence) or walk to town (around an hour's hike) but you couldn't pick a cheaper and more relaxing spot - a chalet in the midst of a beautiful garden behind an ancient stone church in a village with no shops and an ancient holy well. Don't quote me, but I think the first time I went this was about as cheap as the hostel in Penzance, except you have your own lovely chalet and woodstove, etc.

If you want to be more centralized, and have nice views of St. Michael's Mount, that castle on a part-time island, try the campground in Marazion. It's called Wheal Rodney, has a free indoor pool, is walking distance (twenty minutes) to Penzance town center, and if you don't want to camp there are beautiful little chalets for rent weekly. Rates are good,owners are super friendly, and showers are hot and un-metered.

For scenery the area is fantastic. Besides Saint Michael's Mount and the coastal scenery, go to Land's End, Sennen Cove, and Carn Euny - all within about 10 miles and cheap to see by bus. If you have more questions I can help with, feel free to email me. This is my favorite place in the world and I can't get there often enough - just spent a couple months there last year and have learned a lot about it.

Ken

• LouiseTopp's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Advice for first time visitors

by LouiseTopp Online Now Jan 9, 2006 at 8:53 AM

Thanks for your in-put. Whats the website for that place you mentioned?

by marixxx Online Now Jan 9, 2006 at 3:02 PM

depends what sort of person you are and what you want to do. Newquay is good for surfing, chips and drugs (forgive me, all those who live there!) and parties on the beach, but I would go for Penzance every time. Beautiful town, some shopping, St Micheals Mount, rock pools, Marazion, take the bus or drive to the countryside and villages, the rocky coastline and otherwordly feel towards Lands End.
    However, Newquay has stunning beaches and if youre young and lively you might get bored at Penzance.
    wherever you go its going to be busy during late August.

by roycruse Online Now Jan 12, 2006 at 5:59 AM

First thing to remember is you can travel the whole length of cornwall in under 2 hours - and the width of it in about 30 minutes. So where ever you choose i recomend traveling around and seeing as much of it as you can.

Both areas have their merrits.

Newquay is going to have a much more thriving night life. Penzance is quieter and more like the "true" Cornwall.

Retail wise Newquay is probably your best bet for surfing clothes and kit.

But Truro is where you will find most of the chain stores (but why would you want them - you can get them anywhere)

Other places i suggest seeing are lands end, padstow, st ives, falmouth and many more.

Roy Cruse
    http://www.cornwall247.co.uk

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines