How much does it cost to rent a tube to float down the penticton canal with, and are there time limits to when you CAN float down the canal? LIke, are there cirtain times between say 9 am and 4 pm or something or it it a "when ever you want" kind of thing?
if you have your own vehicles to drop you off an pick you up, i'd guess you could do it whenever you want.
if you want to rent tubes and get an organized pick up, then contact the companies for their hours of operation.
Be the first to rate this answer!
This is posted for the next person who comes across this page, as the original question was two years ago.
1) to http://www.coyotecruises.ca/ for the current info. Since 2004 the native band has been running the operation, which is a great thing, but sadly, the infrastructure on the channel, the bike path, and the garbage cleaning, are both getting bad. This is just a cash cow for some member on the band.
Other option, depending on how many of you there are. Call a cab company ahead of time, ask them how much lead time they need, and then call a cab from the waterproof cellphone you bring down the channel, that is attached to a large floating object.
2) Dont bring glass containers down the channel .. you idiots.
3) Wear some footwear, even sandals, if you walk on the bottom, there is broken glass.
4) Unless you want to sound like a tourist, its called the CHANNEL.
5) Dont bring anything down that you cant afford to lose.
6) Dont leave expensive crap in your vehicle at the top. The thieves know you are gone for at least 2 hours, and may well be drunk when you get back, and not notice whats missing.
7) The channel is often slow, you only want to go half way, and Coyote Cruises will only go half way.
8) Go to Canadian Tire, and buy an airmattress with a built in pump. It beats waiting an hour to pay to get Coyote Cruises to pump yours up.
9) Drop everyone off at the top, I suggest the parking lot near the SS Sicamous / Loco Landing. They can sit in the park 'preparing' for the ride. Then drop the biggest capacity vehicle(s) at the bottom. You may have to use the parking lot on the East side of the airport on busy days. Take your smallest car back to the top with all the drivers.
10) Drinking alcohol in public is illegal. So dont be public with your alcohol. ie, at the top of the channel you are easy pickings. Keep your cooler closed, and dont be an idiot.
11) The RCMP do bike patrols, but generally, the biggest risk from alcohol is drowning at the bottom, or being stupid and jumping of the bridge at the bottom.
12) One of the best things to do is to stop half way and watch the Elvis impersonator at the hot dog stand on the rez. Bring some small coinage for the store for snacks(From the comfort of your raft). Home Hardware is right there too if you need to buy, build, or repair your raft. Has a big parking lot too.
13) Really, really, put your WATERPROOF sunscreen on at least a half an hour before going in the water. The lobsters in the walk in clinic attest to the power of sun, water, booze, and ignorance. This is pain. I suggest a crappy cowboy hat, and crappy Tshirt.
14) Dont wear your wedding ring or any ring. This advice is great advice for letches, but mainly meant for people who dont realize that water is a lubricant, and you stand a high chance of losing the ring if drinking, and if in the water, or if you start handpaddling.
15) Look at the weather forecast. Those few clouds in the sky can turn nasty around 3pm.
The channel is quite comfortable in the sun, you can even tread water the whole distance if the feeling so hits you. But if its cloudy, it gets cold, quick.
Enjoy it, dont expect serenity though.
Be the first to rate this answer!