Pensacola Travel Answers

change location
ttownrobin729's Profile Photo

Pensacola: Oyster Bar Restaurant or Smaller Crab House type near NAS bridge AND Dolphins By the Bay

by ttownrobin729 Online Now Jan 25, 2006 at 9:13 PM

Does anyone know if the Oyster Bar Restaurant is still open? It was on the way to the Naval Base NAS Pensacola, and further down still, after the road narrows, there was another seafood restaurant that was much more casual.
The restaurant I'm hoping someone remembers was in existence back around 1981 through 1986 and it was located near Barrancas or on the main road to the Naval Station.

I can't remember the name for the life of me, but it was always one of my favorites (when I lived there 20 years ago).

I would suspect it suffered hurricane damage, as the water was high there near the little wooden bridge on a good day.

If anyone knows of it, please let me know, would you? How do you remember it? Even if it no longer exists...

You could go in and sit at a little wooden table with a red checkered tablecloth, order a pound of crab legs at a reasonable price, and crack eat and drink cold beer for hours. It was more of an event than a restaurant. I loved their oysters on the half shell too - the prices were unbelievable compared to what I've had to pay for "imported" raw oysters at the Seafood restaurant at the Docks...(but they were tasty too!).

The other one, I'm almost sure is gone due to Hurricane Ivan..It was on the north side of Gulf Breeze, on the water, east of the bridge I believe...You had to take a small dirt-type road to get back to it if I recall correctly. The atmosphere, the wonderful service, and the taste of the Rainbow Trout there will stay with me till my memory goes. I hope that memory of the taste comes back to me every now and then - I haven't had Rainbow Trout (Pecan Crusted at that!!) since I left there in 1986. The last time I searched for it or called the visitor's bureau (which I was the administrative assistant at for a year or so, at that time) I was told that they had suffered severe damage and that it was closed.

AHHHH, thanks for the memories..any and all "refreshers" appreciated!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Pensacola: Oyster Bar Restaurant near NAS bridge

by jcoop36 Online Now Aug 26, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Just ran across your question - the Oyster Bar did indeed close just this last spring - the original owners (50 years in business) sold to new owners, and these new folks apparently ran the place into the ground in very short order. Closed in April/May t2008 timeframe. SO sad - great seafood place. Now we have the Marina Oyster Bar out on Bayou Texar, a worthy successor for the mantle of Best little local seafood place in Pensacola.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines