Pensacola Travel Answers

change location

Mystery of a Unique Restaurant

by ETJAJ Online Now Aug 19, 2003 at 6:33 PM

I was told about a restaurant in Pensacola, FL that is unique in that you sit down at the dinner table and the meal is brought to you in serving bowls just as if you were having Thanksgiving Dinner. I want to go to this restaurant on this Saturday can someone help me?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: Mystery of a Unique Restaurant

by grandmaR Online Now Aug 19, 2003 at 7:49 PM

Hopkins House: themanfromhunger.com/Episode... This is called "Family Style". Florida House in Fernandina Beach does the same thing, and so do restaurants in the Amish area of Pennsylvania. From the web page above: There is a wonderful old boarding house in Pensacola, Florida called the Hopkins House that has been in business for almost 50 years. Because it was "grand-fathered in," it’s the only place in the general vicinity that is allowed to serve food "family style," that is, bowls of food placed on the table and passed around. You eat with whoever happens to be at the table with you. It’s a truly unique place to eat and is legendary around Pensacola, but hardly anyone from outside the area has any idea of its existence. For lunch and dinner on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sunday (lunch only), fried chicken is the featured meat, along with a dazzling array of vegetables and side dishes.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Mystery of a Unique Restaurant

by grandmaR Online Now Aug 19, 2003 at 7:53 PM

900 North Spring Street in Pensacola's North Hill Preservation District. Breakfast (6:30am-9:30am) Lunch (11am-2pm) Dinner (5:30pm-8pm.) Tuesday through Saturday, Sunday lunch (11am -2pm), Closed Mondays. Call 850-438-3979 for information Most meals include at least two entrees and at least eight side dishes. The kitchen staff still employs two ladies from the early years. Chief Cook Cora has been with the restaurant for 40 years. Depending on what day or evening you dine at the Hopkins' House you may feast on their famous fried chicken, baked ham, or roast beef.

• donato1899's Profile Photo

Re: Mystery of a Unique Restaurant

by donato1899 Online Now Aug 20, 2003 at 4:23 AM

I ate and and was served by Ma Hopkins in 1969 when I was a young Marine 2nd Lt. in flight school in Pensacola. You could eat all you wanted, but you had to eat all you took. Ma Hopkins sat by the desserts, you only got one of them. I was a yankee then,that was where I learned the difference between chicken gizzards and chicken livers. Livers we ate in the north, gizzards were a little harder to get down, but with Ma Hopkins you ate all you took. Even Marines were afraid of her, it was the best and cheapest place to eat in Pensacola and you did not want to get on her bad side. I heard she is gone now.

• Re: Re: Mystery of a Unique Restaurant

by Ginasmom Online Now Aug 29, 2004 at 9:53 AM

"Mz Hopkins" as my mother called her died a number of years ago. She'd been sick for a long time and her niece, Judy, handled the restaurant until Mrs. Hopkins death. Mrs. Hopkins son and his wife now own it. I recently read in the paper that he is in the process of selling it. I hope that it keeps the old traditions...one of a kind place to eat. The foods still great, although I don't think it's as good as it was when Mrs. Hopkins and Judy ran it. Still the best friend chicken in the world!

• Re: Re: Mystery of a Unique Restaurant

by Ginasmom Online Now Aug 29, 2004 at 9:59 AM

Funny that I found this post. I've been thinking about going to Hopkins all morning. I'd forgotten that they were trying to sell so called their number and its disconnected, then checked their website and its closed. Sorry! You missed a great place to eat!

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

RE: Mystery of a Unique Restaurant

by ForestqueenNYC Online Now Mar 31, 2005 at 10:56 AM

As far as I know Hopkins House is now closed.
    http://www.hopkinsboardinghouse.com/

• soxxlewis's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Mystery of a Unique Restaurant

by soxxlewis Online Now Jul 26, 2005 at 10:09 AM

Yes, Hopkins House has closed but its famous fried chicken lives on at McGuires Irish Pub on Gregory Street, Downtown Pensacola.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines