Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• alycat's Profile Photo

Beachside weekend getaway

Philadelphia Apr 2, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Hello all,

Please suggest ideas for a beachside weekend getaway from DC for a couple...small condo/resort/cottage for accommodation and good seafood restaurants near the beach!

Thanks
      Ali

more
    • picnic near hershey

Hershey Apr 19, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Is there any place to picnic near hershey spa?

more
    • Time spent at longwood

Longwood Apr 17, 2014 at 4:47 PM

We will be visiting Longwood Gardens on a Monday this June with our 2 year old in a stroller. How many hours should we anticipate spending there assuming the weather is decent? We would like to take our time as it is very unlikely we will ever have the opportunity to go back.
      Also, are there any areas for children to run around and play?

more
    • marca's Profile Photo

Hotel Near to Riverview Park

Pittsburgh Apr 15, 2014 at 9:25 AM

We are doing a charity bike ride beginning and ending at Riverview Park. Is there a clean hotel (it does not have to be a chain) within 5 miles from the Park?

more
    • vvanawhitee's Profile Photo

walking tours

Pittsburgh Mar 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM

i was wondering if there were any walking tours or other tours in pittsburgh?

more
    • Gettysburg picnic

Gettysburg Apr 17, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Will we be allowed to stop for a picnic while doing a self guided tour of the gettysburg battlefield? Are there covered pavilions with picnic tables? Are there any playgrounds for toddlers along the route?

more
    • Hotel near Carnegie Mellon

Pittsburgh Mar 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Hi all. I'm planning a stay in Pittsburgh to visit my nephew at Carnegie Mellon. I've narrowed the hotels down to the Hilton Garden Inn in Oakland and the Marriott Courtyard in Shadyside (don't ask me about my winnowing criteria). Anyone familiar with these neighborhoods or hotels to help me tip the balance one way or another? Thanks much.

more
    • Check in time

Worlds End State Park Sep 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM

We have a cabin rented at World's End State Park starting TOMORROW!! (Nothing like last minute planning.) Does anyone know if check in time, which begins at 3pm can be extended as Late as 6pm?

1 Answer Sep 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM
    • bus availability or advise

Lancaster Sep 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM

How do I find the various times a bus might go to Lebanon? I will be arriving at Amtrak station. I have looked into a car rental and even that seems as though it might not be the easiest.. Thank you

2 Answers Sep 5, 2013 at 4:51 AM
    • HarmoniousBotch's Profile Photo

Cross-Penn trip

Philadelphia Sep 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Wife and I are planning a trip to Pennsylvania. I'd like some advice on how to schedule it.

For us, the must sees are:

• Lib bell, constitution hall, etc in downtown Phily
      • Museums: Franklin, Rodin, etc in Phily
      • Some Amish communities - wife currently prefers Lancaster
      • The helicopter museum near West Chester
      • Falling Water by Wright
      • The National Aviary and Carnegie museum in Pittsburg

We fly into Philly on Friday the 18th of October. I have to be in Chicago for a convention on the afternoon of the 27th. We are assuming that the most practical way to get around is public transportation in downtown Philadelphia, and then rent a car for the rest.

The proposed schedule looks like this:

18: Fly into Phily; night - Stay in Phily

19: Day - Phily; night - Stay in Phily

20: Day - Phily; night - Stay in Phily

21: Day - Phily; Afternoon - rent car, drive to Lancaster; Night - Stay in Lancaster

22: Day - Lancaster; Night - Stay in Lancaster

23: Day - see heli museum ( 44 mi ) { Open Wed-Sun }; Afternoon - drive to Somerset ( 111 mi ) { Scenic: Exton bypass aka 30 }; Night - Stay in Somerset ( The Georgian Inn? )

24: Day - Drive to Pittsburg, see Falling Water on the way; Afternoon - see museums in Pittsburg; Night - Stay in Pittsburg

26: Day - See Aviary, more museums in Pittsburg; Evening - Drive Pitts to Toledo ( 233 mi );  Night - Stay in Toledo

27: Day - Drive Toledo to Chicago ( 246 mi ); Afternoon - arrive Chicago; Night - Stay in Chicago

Particular questions are: 

• Is Lancaster a good place to get the flavor of the Amish communities?
      • Where is a good place to stay in/near downtown Philly at $250 or less per night?
      • Is the Georgian in Somerset as nice as it pretends to be?
      • How long should we need to see Falling Water?

Any general advice would also be appreciated, particularly as to scenic byways, good hotels, and good restaurants. ( BTW, for me both a good view and good food are necessary for a good restaurant. )

Thanks

3 Answers Sep 4, 2013 at 5:04 AM
    • rockland tunnel

Rockland Aug 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM

We want to bike through the rockland tunnel. Are the freedom falls before we get to the entrance of the tunnel come from Brandon?

• How to get to Willow Hill from Pittsburgh without a car?

Willow Hill Aug 29, 2013 at 7:52 AM

I am going to a conference in Pittsburgh and I was thinking about visiting some relatives in Willow Hill.
      Is there any way to get there by public transportation, or at least to somewhere near and then ask someone to pick me up. Or you reckon the best way would be to rent a car?
      Thanks!!

1 Answer Aug 29, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    • susannee1979's Profile Photo

Vacation suggestions

Philadelphia Aug 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Hi everyone. My family will be visiting Philadelphia for the first time, in Oct. None of us have been in that part of the country (my husband is from Chicago and I am from Houston. Now we live in Indy). Can anyone offer suggestions as far as transportation, must see sites, and awesome places to eat? We will have our 4 kids with us, ages 15- 6 months. Also, since we are not familiar, are DC and NYC close enough to go visit each for a day? Thanks in advance for the advice!

5 Answers Aug 18, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    • other things to do

Bushkill Aug 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM

what's there to do beside hiking with children

1 Answer Aug 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    • Steelers vs Ravens Game

Pittsburgh Aug 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I will be coming to Pittsburg for the steelers and ravens game in October. I have never been to Pittsburgh before, the hotel I will be staying at has a shuttle from the airport. I am trying to decide if I should rent a car or not, but I dont want to be in a long traffic wait for the game. Should I rent a car or just use public transportation? Also what would be a good time to leave my hotel to get to the game in a timely and traffic avoiding manner? Thanks for any advice.

2 Answers Sep 25, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    • BlindFish's Profile Photo

Where to Stay from Bloomsburg, PA to Front Royal, VA

Bloomsburg Aug 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I am looking for a nice and interesting spot hwere we could have a break and stay for the night on our route coming from Bloomsburg, PA heading towards Front Royal for visiting the NP. This area is not covered in any of our travel guides and while studying maps there were no places with a catchy or well known name (for a guy from Europe). Any suggestions are welcome.

4 Answers Aug 14, 2013 at 4:43 AM
    • BlindFish's Profile Photo

Must Do's in Philly in 1 day

Philadelphia Aug 7, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Yes, i know these questions suck, although in my case it is a bit different.

It's not that there wouldn't be a lot of things to discover in just one day, but from studying my travel guides i suppose many of these things not to be that thrilling for a (nearly) blind guy like i am. So at this time i am not sure if it's worth standing in line for the Independence Hall to finally see some documents i can't really see, indead. But - as said - it's just the impression i got from reading about it, so maybe you could change my mind on that.

What about the bell? OK, it's just a bell, of course. But it's big and i might be able to get close enough to see it (touch it? ... wasn't there an episode of HIMYM where they were licking at the bell ...).

We are really interested in history and want to get the most out of our first (and maybe only) Philly experience. But museums, wall charts and displays won't make a big deal as i cannot read them and my wife speaks and understands much too little of the language to be helpful in this case (although she never gives up trying :-) ).

So my basic idea was to walk as much of the city as we can and hope to catch something of the spirit and making some shots for the memories. I've thought about a carriage ride for the day of our arrival to give us a rough idea where we want to go for more detailed excursions and i guess we's sign up for a food tour on our second day as a dinner replacement and for getting some information, too.

What do you think? Will we regret not to visit and see all of the common sights? Any other suggestions?

3 Answers Aug 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM
    • Best short itinerary?

Pittsburgh Jul 30, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Hi guys!

I have 4 hours in Downtown Pittsburgh, what are the must-sees that I would have time for? I appreciate your recommendations to make the most of my time there!

Thanks,
      G

4 Answers Jul 30, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    • Taking the Incline?

Pittsburgh Jul 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Hi guys,

I will be in Pittsburgh a few hours, will it be possible for me to go up one of the inclines from a view of the city? How long would it take to get there, go up, admire the view, and go back down?

Also, which is the best incline to go up? Is there a significant difference in the view?

Thanks!
      G

2 Answers Jul 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM
    • do i need a reservation to get a camp site

Ricketts Glen State Park Jul 27, 2013 at 4:34 AM

do i need a reservation to get a camp site R.G.

1 Answer Jul 27, 2013 at 5:26 AM
    • State Memorials

Gettysburg Jul 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I have read that each state that participated has a memorial in Gettysburg. Is this true?
      I particularly am interested in the Missouri monument.

2 Answers Jul 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    • DutchTony333's Profile Photo

Parking for two days

Philadelphia Jul 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Hello everybody,

We, party of two, are to visit the beautiful city of Philadelphia for a few days in september. We're traveling by car and staying in the city center. What would be a safe and affordable place to park our car for two days..?

Thanks in advance,

greetings from the Netherlands, Tony.

3 Answers Jul 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM
    • a B&B to stay

Gettysburg Jun 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Were going to Gettysburg end of July. Where is a cute B&B to stay? We will be going on Segway tour of the Battlefield and also going to Museum. Gettysburg Brewery at night. What do any of you suggest? Thanks.

Dave

• Getting to Johnstown from Pittsburgh Airport

Johnstown Jun 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM

What is the best (least expensive) way to get to downtown Johnstown from Pittsburgh Airport?

1 Answer Jun 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    • AliyaL's Profile Photo

Where to rent a house in Philly

Philadelphia Jun 5, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Hi everybody! What is the more safe and quiet areas in PHILLY? Where it's better to rent a house? I'm going to rent a house for a summer but don't know where it will be better.
      I'm looking forward for an answer.

12 Answers Dec 11, 2013 at 12:58 AM
    • rnj1's Profile Photo

Hotels near Sonesta Hotel

Philadelphia Jun 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM

My wife and daughter are attending conference June 28-30, 2013. What other hotel options are within a block? Is this area of town safe for two ladies traveling alone?

6 Answers Jun 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    • Dymphna1's Profile Photo

Patton, PA - Fishers ATV World Reunion

Pennsylvania Mar 29, 2013 at 8:37 AM

We are considering showing our product at this ATV event. Has anyone ever gone to one of these and how big is it really? I would need to rent an RV to stay at the site during it, so help there would be good. Either renting it there or in Pittsburgh where we land would be better. We would be showing lights to put on helmet so they can ride at night, so staying at the grounds would be best.

• Thomps's Profile Photo

Hotel recommendation

Philadelphia Mar 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Planning to spend a day in early May photographing Eastern Penitentiary near 22nd and Fairmount. Looking for hotels in the vicinity in a "good" area. Want to avoid downtown traffic.

4 Answers Mar 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    • FrankDU's Profile Photo

Romantic getaway in the Poconos

Pennsylvania Mar 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Can anyone recommend a nice quiet getaway spot in the Poconos for May?

1 Answer Mar 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    • Deep1986's Profile Photo

way

Philadelphia Jan 13, 2013 at 7:29 AM

How can i reach Wilkes barre from Philadelphia international airport?

2 Answers Jan 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    • Wilkes-barre to Philedelphia 30th St Train Station

Philadelphia Dec 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM

How can I get frrom Wilkes-Barre Bus Terminal to Philedelphia 30th Street Train Station. I have asked a few people but to no no avail. I am hoping to get this information as soon as possible so that I may make plans accordingly, for I will be departing on January 10, 2013....Thank You

3 Answers May 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM
    • rmdw's Profile Photo

Coal Mining History Around Scranton

Scranton Dec 4, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I'm a big fan of old time radio dramas. On many of them there are advertisements for a product called "Blue Coal". As a former mining engineer and avid student of history, I'm curious to visit the old sites of the "Glen Alden Coal Company".

A little research has revealed that their operations appeared to be in small towns surrounding Scranton such as Nanticoke and Archbald. I'm wondering if any VT members know if there are any tours available of the old mines & mills or at least what's left of them?

Robert W.

2 Answers Dec 4, 2012 at 11:28 PM
    • BetsyM's Profile Photo

day trip to new york

Bushkill Oct 2, 2012 at 8:58 AM

We want to go to New York for a day or two, someone said I could take a train. Will someone please give me details and directions if this is possible.

5 Answers Oct 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    • nightclubs in philadelphia,pa

Philadelphia Sep 18, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I am coming with a group of girls on Friday September 21 2012 and preferably wanted to go to a male strip club but most of the good ones are closed on Friday. So another option is a good nightclub that will play hiphop/ r&b music but a very mixed crowed. Please help as the 21st is only 3 days away.

2 Answers May 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
    • first time visitor

Bushkill Aug 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Besides all the hiking and scenery I know there is mini golf and paddleboats but I am wondering what other kid activities are at Bushkill falls? I hear they are able to go "mining for gemstones" is this a fact?

• yurikv's Profile Photo

I76(Pennsilvania Turnpike) lake for swimming with clear water?

Pennsylvania Aug 2, 2012 at 5:35 PM

We are driving through Appalachians via i76(Pennsilvania Turn Pike). Any lakes with transparent/clear water within 1 hour drive from the exits to have a good swim?

1 Answer Aug 3, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    • Traveling at night after a game

Philadelphia Jul 26, 2012 at 9:02 PM

We are headed to Philly at the end of August to see a Phillies game. 2 adults, 3 kids 9,7,5. I'm trying to decide on a hotel but it will depend on getting around at night in Philly. I'm looking at a hotel in City Center near the Mkt. East Station or the Holiday Inn near the stadium. I prefer the City Center hotel but I'm worried about taking the metro (?) at night after the game. The Holiday Inn is in walking distance and it seems as though it's safe enough but the reviews on the hotel are not great. The third option is to simply stay wherever and driving to and from the game. Can anyone share their thoughts?

5 Answers Jul 27, 2012 at 8:31 AM