Penang Travel Answers

change location

10-Day Trip to Penang - Must-See Spots + Must-Try Dishes

by keilo Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Hi VT'rs,

I'm headed to Penang this July 2013 w/ my family (2 kids aged 7 and 3.75 at that point). Although I'm a seasoned traveler (VN, Cambodia, Turkey, Tanzania, China, Burma, UK, Venice, Thailand, etc.), I've never been to Malaysia.

While I do go to the "tourist" sights when warranted (if it's of cultural/historical/geological/etc. value - in contrast to tourist traps/junk like Pier 39 - BTW, I was born & raised in SF and think P39 is ridiculous in its current state - can't figure out why so many tourists go there!), I generally like to have as much of the local experience as possible (markets/restaurants/etc. frequented by locals).

That being said, any specific recommendations for 10 days in Penang w/ the family? We'll be staying with a local resident there, but wanted to get others' perspectives on what they consider the highlights (top interesting sights & experiences, specific foods we MUST try, etc.). We love great food, nature and I'm very much into travel photography.

thanks, all!

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

Re: 10-Day Trip to Penang - Must-See Spots + Must-Try Dishes

by IreneMcKay Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Te capital is Georgetown which is an interesting place with several sights. There is an old ruined fort, the E and O Hotel designed by the same people responsible for the Raffles, Singapore. There's an Anglican cathedral, a lovely mosque, a Chinese temple and Chinese clanhouse.

You can take a ferry from Georgetown to Butterworth on the mainland.

I enjoyed going up Penang Hill for the views. We went up by funicular.

There was also a lovely butterfly farm near the Batu Ferrenghi Beach area.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • 1jabbar's Profile Photo

by 1jabbar Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Hi;
    I wish I was able to spend more time in Penang..I've been there 2-3 times, with the longest trip there 5 days. There is a great Buddhist temple complex called
    Kek Lok Si Temple..It is worth seeing (near Penang Hill, 20-25 minutes by local transit bus from downtown Georgetown) Penang Hill, whose cable tram has been upgraded since I was there many ago, is worth a short stop-over..maybe at night to take in the city lights, if possible. There is no end to fine foods in Penang (expensive hotels or cheap "local" restaurants)Strolling the streets at night the last time there, we came upon a Chinese opera in a local temple (fantastic)Later that night we walked into little India which was more than I expected. WE made sure to visit the night market at Batu Ferringhi, which was a fun shopping thing to do. ANyway I'm sure there is even lots more to if you do visit; 10 days..How grand!.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Well, if you are a season traveler in the Far East, I think you know the routine of Temples and street vendors. To me, after the historical sights, there was not much else to do except getting into the life and culture of everyday Malay. Night food stalls and a walk about after was the main theme. With family, it is the discovery., but since you have been to many Far East countries, it is like the same-same, but different approach. I can see what you are saying about P39 in SF....I feel the same way and I don't even live there. I will still visit Fisherman Wharf though because its' part of SF.

good luck in your travels with kids in tow
    cheers tommy x

• limkahwan's Profile Photo

Re: 10-Day Trip to Penang - Must-See Spotbs + Must-Try Dishes

by limkahwan Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 4:21 AM

Hi, before we can advise we need to have more info of yourself...like yr family members......what are suitable foods.....what are your interest.....what mote of transport.....and so...then only you shall good recommendation from us vtiers.

• Re: 10-Day Trip to Penang - Must-See Spots + Must-Try Dishes

by wentbytrain Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 12:35 AM

10 days in PNG seem excessive long to me for what you describe-as said the nr of real ''sites'' like tourists usually do them, can be done in 2-3 days. The age-old answer: open that guidebook, it has all in it. I think the food is a bit overrated (having seen even a 20 min VDO on my last planeride about it) as its mostly same-same and just a little different-yes, I know I will get the flack of the malay/Chinese now. You can choose between Sino//Malay//Indian//Western and eat 24 hrs/day. I know of no pier39 anywhere in Malaysia.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

by SLLiew Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I am from Penang island. There is much food to try - I suggest you must go to Gurney Drive Hawker Center, take a trishaw around UNESCO Heritage zone and take the tram up Penang Hill. When I was SF, I always go and take others to visit Chinatown, Lombard Ave, Golden Gate Bridge, sunset at Pacific Coast and Fisherman Wharf - why travel if you do not want to visit famous sights.

Here is a great Facebook "Penang Has It All" site for great current photos, local activities of Penang
    facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/Penang...

Welcome to Penang.

• limkahwan's Profile Photo

by limkahwan Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 4:16 AM

If you wish to know more of Penang, then visit my page I have a few write-up. Welcome you in advance for a happy holiday in Penang

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines