Penang Travel Answers

change location

Tips on Georgetown

by lourdes45 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM

We will be there 5 days and 4 nights. Tips on places to see and eat will be greatly appreciated.

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • roostown's Profile Photo

Re: Tips on Georgetown

by roostown Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM

In such a short time ...would suggest on at least one evening that you eat at the Red Garden Hawkers Centre..the food there is fantastic
    Sight seeing ...there are many temples in and around Georgetown also a visit to Penang Hill will provide great views of the city...catch the Rapid Penang 101 bus to Batu Ferringhi for the night markets and many great cheap places to dine ....including Long Beach Hawkers Centre....Boatman...Living Room ...Happy Gardens...the bus trip depending on traffic would be about 30/40 minutes and you can catch the bus from the Komtar terminal..
    Arriving in Batu Ferringhi say round 7pm ...dine...and then stroll the night markets and catch the 101 bus back to Georgetown......Clan Jetty is another place you could visit in Georgetown,,,,for a taste of history Fort Cornwallis also in Georegtown
    Wife and I call penang ..our home away from home ...we visit every year ...for the past 25 years...enjoy the short time you have there

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leon.partsi's Profile Photo

by leon.partsi Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Hello,

That's great, 5 days is a good amount of time to spend in Penang.

Have you taken a look in the travel guides for this area?
    Just type in Penang into the destination search bar on the home page and click "Go!"

Thanks,
    Leon

Be the first to rate this answer!

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Temples, markets and eating street food. Peneng Hill, Penang War Museum, Tropical Spice Garden.Wander around the back streets and you will always come across something interesting. I found a house that made Mahjong Tiles.

The link below should prove very helpful as well as traveler's tips on the Penang page
    penang.ws/penang-attractions...

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Don't miss the Penang food courts.
    They are the best food courts in the world if you ask me.
    I have a few photos and a bit of text about them on this link:

"Probaply the best place in Asia for food." - George Town Favorite Tip by cachaseiro

• Re: Tips on Georgetown

by garanzia86 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I agreed with some of the earlier posts. Don't miss out on the hawker centres and the food courts.

Maybe a stroll through Penang Road and Chowrasta Market.

If need to find hotels,flights please check http://www.thehotelfind.com

• limkahwan's Profile Photo

by limkahwan Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Having 4 days in Penang is great. you can definitely will enjoy trip in Penang. You can visit my page to learn more of Penang and if you need more information please do not hesitate to e.mail me. I will be very glad to share my knowledge with you.

• alanteoh's Profile Photo

by alanteoh Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 5:43 AM

Congratulations to all of you! here're few tips to follow!
    1. Night meal at Gurney Drive & strolling at "Batu Ferringi night market.
    2. Shopping for gifts at ayer itam market area & visiting Kek Lok Si Temple.
    3. Visiting " penang road" & try-out the local ice kacang ,fried koay teaw etc... leasure walk around town.
    4. Take a trip to"Snake Temple" , go for food in and around "Balik Pulau" area. If you 've transportation,then try out the coastal hilly and winding road from "Balik Pulau" to Batu Ferringi Beach .Just relax! you would like it ,enjoy the journey.
    5. Make sure! you visit the "Butterfly Farm" and the water reservoir.
    6. Lastly, the final destination travel early to the "Penang Hill" to catch a train up the hill. Get the whole view of "Penang Island" and the views of mainland "Province Welleysly. BON VOYAGE!!!!

• reublim's Profile Photo

by reublim Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Take a trishaw ride around from Cititel Hotel in the inner city.
    This free bus covers most of the places of interest in the heritage zone. visitpenang.gov.my/portal3/g...
    There are some hiking trails around the hill of the island from Botanic Gardens leading all the way to Telok Bahang if that's your kind of thing. Also the nature reserve, lighthouse and turtle sanctuary are in that area.

• h.khaw11's Profile Photo

by h.khaw11 Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM

For Penang the charms are Hawkers Delights and Heritage Trails .But few give tips on the time available for the opening of the Hawkers Delights. For example New Lane near Sunway Hotel is for dinner while the Tim Sum stuffs are mainly early morning affairs..Afternoon for lunch are available most of the food courts liked Batu Lanchang Market and Cecil street markets. Heritage sites and paths are best visited in the morning.

• Re: Tips on Georgetown

by Shop-n-eat Online Now Feb 21, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Totally agree! Penang is one food heaven! Check out new themed cafes' and awesome restaurant n Penang here http://easycorner.my/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines