Peak District National Park Travel Answers

change location

3 to 4 day Peak District cycling trip

by benzuli Online Now Apr 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM

For the above, what would you suggest, starting out point and finishing etc ( Rail accessible points ) leaving from Rochdale. With average to good cycling proficiency, would like to follow an interesting, scenic route, with overnight stays at budget/B & B accomodation suitable for cyclists.
Thank you,
Steve,
Houston, Texas,

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: 3 to 4 day Peak District cycling trip

by leics Online Now Apr 10, 2011 at 12:02 AM

It's a lovely area but I'm afraid I've got no specific routes to recommend (I'm a walker rather than a cyclist).

Whilst you are waiting for other VT-ers to suggest ideas have a look at:

peakdistrictinformation.com/...

and the leaflet here:

peakdistrict.gov.uk/trailsle...

I'd suggest you start off in Buxton or Glossop, about 2 hours by train from Rochdale (with changes) and perhaps try for a circular route. Other Peak district stations, like Matlock, are a long journey back to Rochdale. But wherever you start/leave from it would be a good idea to buy your ticket in advance, not necessarily online but at the station. Not for you (no problem whatsoever there) but for the bike, assuming you are taking it with you. Bike spaces on trains are limited. www.nationalrail.co.uk for info on train times, details and fares.

I don't think you'll have problems at any b&b if you are cycling. You can find a list of them on the official tourist info site here:

visitpeakdistrict.com/accomm...

The same site has cycle routes but (insanely, imo) they are only GPS downloads. If you do have a GPS then you can download the routes, some of which run from surrounding cities which might be easier to access by train:

visitpeakdistrict.com/downlo...?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Apr 10, 2011 at 4:28 AM

My sister and her friend use the Youth Hostel Association (you can be any age and not just a youth) to cycle through the Peak District. You pay a standard fee and all your accommodation along the routes is booked in advance for you. The YHA provide the routes so this may not be suitable if you wanted to plan your own route. However the dedicated website may be worth a look at - thepeakdistrict.info/fast/ht...
    If you did decide to take this option Rochdale would not be a good starting point but we could advise here on that. Not sure why you would want to start at Rochdale which is not in the Peak District - perhaps you have friends there?

• raquelitalarga's Profile Photo

by raquelitalarga Online Now Apr 11, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I can recommend the village of Youlgreave. It has a YHA in a fab building(an old co-op convenience store overlooking the river Lathkill), 3 or 4 pubs and a lot more going on.

• PhilTheBus's Profile Photo

by PhilTheBus Online Now Apr 23, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Bear in mind that parts of the Peak District are VERY hilly and unless you are a very experienced and enthusiastic cyclist, you might want to miss out some of the steeper parts - like the roads immediately south or east of Glossop !

The Tissington Trail south east of Buxton would be quite good for cycling, as would the Hope Valley - all of which are served by train from Manchester.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Peak District National Park