Peak District National Park Travel Answers

change location
JoeRizal's Profile Photo

Peak or Lake District

by JoeRizal Online Now Apr 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Hi All,

I am going to Manchester in June and plan to go to either Lake or Peak District or both if time permits. The trip to either location is going to be a short trip (3 - 4 hours) and the purpose of this trip is just a sightseeing.

Having said that, can u suggest where is the best location in Lake / Peak District should I go to ?

Another thing - if I just have time for 1 location, which District should I choose ?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • JoeRizal's Profile Photo

Re: Peak or Lake District

by JoeRizal Online Now Apr 4, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Thank you Ranger.

No, it does not include travel time and I am travelling by (hired) car.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 4, 2010 at 12:10 AM

I'd suggest the Peak District too. The Lake District is too far: UK journeys take longer than maps might suggest and the M6 can be very congested.

But, as Ranger says, much does depend on how you intend to travel. You will have very limited options by train: only Buxton or Matlock. There may be bus options but journey times will be greater.

There is an excellent website for all public transport in the Manchester area, which includes maps of bus routes, Metrolink (not underground) and rail:

gmpte.com/journey_planning/m...

Even with a car, 3-4 hours which includes travelling time will substantially limit your options. Just getting out of the Manchester conurbation (depending on where you are based) is likely to take 45+ mins.

by JoeRizal Online Now Apr 4, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Thanks Leics.

Where in Peak District is the best place to get the best view of Peak District ? And by the way, I am going to Scotland too - I have not decided which route to use but I believe I'll be passing by Lake District too.

If u think Peak is better option then I will not stop at Lake District.

Kindly advise and thanking you all in advance for tips given. Appreciate it very much :)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 4, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Will you have a car? Having a car makes a huge difference to what you can do and where you can go. Without one I think you will be limited to Buxton (and/or possibly Matlock).

As for 'view' well...the 'Peaks' aren't really peaks as such, so its difficult to say. There are lovely views from many places in the area, but you won't have time to climb high to see them.

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

by colin_bramso Online Now Apr 4, 2010 at 12:54 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "Where in Peak District is the best place to get the best view of Peak District"

It's about 1,400 sq. km of countryside with some villages and the town of Bakewell. My suggestion would be to drive around and visit a couple of villages. My favourites are Milldale and Eyam and I also like Bakewell very much. Info on all of them on my pages here on VT.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

by Gillybob Online Now Apr 4, 2010 at 4:10 AM

I'd be tempted to do the trip a friend and I did quite recently. Exit Manchester through Glossop via Snake Pass to Derwent - great scenery at the top and then Derwent has great history in the Dam Busters story. Then on to Eyam, the plague village and then on to Bakewell. Return via alternative route, say A623. You'll have to be self disciplined about how much time you spend in each location as we did this as a full day trip.

And don't forget the Bakewell puddings!

by JoeRizal Online Now Apr 4, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Thx all :)

• suvanki's Profile Photo

by suvanki Online Now Apr 4, 2010 at 7:49 AM

What day are you planning to visit? Monday is Market Day in Bakewell - Cattle Market and market stalls etc. Great to visit, but the town can get a bit grid locked with traffic. As Gillybob says you can't visit Bakewell without trying a Bakewell pudding (or more!)

If coming via Glossop on the A57 Snake Pass, past Ladybower Dam, is the village of Castleton, which is worth a visit- Peveril Castle, a Norman church and Caverns to visit, plus shops/tea rooms etc. Castleton is famed for its Blue John Stone which is only found amongst the rocks of Treak Cliff Hill and the Treak Cliff and Blue John Caverns. You can buy Blue John jewellery in the shops here

Near Castleton is Hathersage- This village has links with the Robin Hood legend (Little Johns grave is in the Medieval Church yard) and Charlotte Bronte is alleged to have stayed at the vicarage while writing Jane Eyre. Hathersage also has many shops, tea rooms and historic pubs that serve food.

On this journey you'll see some of the rolling hills and valleys of the Derbyshire Peak District. Hopefully you'll have a clear day with blue skies-but the weather here is quite changeable-so come prepared for rain/wind and sunshine!

An alternative route back to Manchester might be returning via Buxton and taking the A537 Buxton to Macclesfield Road which is known as The Cat and Fiddle (This is the isolated public House at the roads summit 1690 ft asl- The 2nd highest pub in the UK) Food is served here too.

I've not worked out the times, so don't know how feasible this is though.

The Peak District has a network of bus and train routes, if you decide not to drive.

The Manchester Picadilly to Sheffield Midland Station rail service stops at Edale, Hope, Bamford, Hathersage and Grindleford. It is a regular service and the journey from Manchester to Sheffield is about 1 hour.
    This is one of my favourite train journeys - especially on a clear day!

peakdistrict.gov.uk/index/vi...

There are some discounted/Rover tickets
    derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_...

Have A Great trip, and please feel free to contact me for more information.

• ricky52's Profile Photo

by ricky52 Online Now Apr 4, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Rizal, how long are you in Manchester for?
    A couple of the local VT members may be able to meet up with you for a meal or something.

• Re: Peak or Lake District

by FishAndChipsBrighton Online Now Jun 2, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Both are good depends what exactly you are looking for. This time of the year I would suggest Peak District better thouhg. You can check out pics and info here - may help you decide what's best to your liking:))
    discovereastmidlands.fr/html...
    Hope this helps

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Peak District National Park