Pau Travel Answers

change location

Going to live in Pau

by avgurlu2 Online Now Sep 28, 2010 at 7:38 PM

I'm from san diego,CA and my husband is french. We have 2 children under 4, and I have never been to Pau, but we will be there for 3 years because he is in the french military, I wanted to know if anyone had some information on what I should expect there, and if it's kid friendly? Also does anyone live there?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Going to live in Pau

by Beausoleil Online Now Sep 28, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Yes, about 84 thousand other people will live there with you. It is in a gorgeous area of France with excellent public transportation to nearly anyplace you want to go. According to Wikipedia, "Alphonse de Lamartine said: 'Pau has the world's most beautiful view of the earth just as Naples has the most beautiful view of the sea.'" For good basic facts, you might look it up on Wikipedia. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pau,_P...

Everyplace we've been in France has been kid friendly. The French love children and go out of their way to help people with them. In restaurants and stores your kids will get special attention. They also have a fabulous school system starting with preschool that you might want to check out.

annuaire-mairie.fr/ville-pau...
    http://www.pau.fr
    and in English pau-pyrenees.com/index.php?l...

To meet other VT members who live in Pau or the area, type Pau into the VT Search Window. This will take you to the Pau Travel Pages and beside the first photo you will see a link saying "13 Members live in Pau" that you can click to get the names of these VT members. Check and see if any of them have logged on within the last month or so and if they have, click on the e-mail me link directly under their VT photo to contact them.

You will also want to read through the VT Travel Pages on Pau. That won't give you living information, but it sure will make your spare time more fun. I'm betting you will love it there because it is so incredibly beautiful. Enjoy your 3 years. If you friends are smart, they'll all come and visit you. ;^)

Congratulations on your husband's posting!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Going to live in Pau

by nessee Online Now Sep 28, 2010 at 9:38 PM

I lived there for 6 months while I was at uni so it was an entirely different experience to what you will have. However, I loved the place - whether that was just due to the experience or simply because of the town I am not sure but I did consider returning there to live..... Unfortunately I can't comment on how child friendly it is but.... there were plenty of shops, markets, restaurants etc and the access to the coast and the mountains were an added bonus. It had quite a strong history both in the town and surrounding areas. In my time there i managed to visit a fair amount of the surrounding areas (by public transport), explore Pau itself quite a lot, went skiing, to the beach, wine tasting, watched lots of live sports and generally had a fantastic time. It was still hot in sept / oct time and even in Winter (Jan) it was sometimes possible to wear short sleeves. The view from the promenade over the Pyrenees is pretty spectacular. Friends and family who visited me while I was there were extremely jealous and thought I had landed on my feet in a fantastic location. Sorry I can't comment more specifically on what it will be like for you in your situation, but just from my experience....I loved it.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Sep 28, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Ah yes, I forgot Pau is a university town. That is a plus to most people.

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Sep 29, 2010 at 1:33 AM

I agree with all that has been said above about the town.

There are a number of very good VT pages on it but perhaps the most comprehensive is that of member Kokoryko-

"The Pyrénées, Henri IV, the city: all this is Pau!" - Pau by kokoryko

This gives lots of background, history, and insights into the town as it is today. I hope it helps.
    Enjoy living in France ! (writing now from Pays d'Auge in Normandie.)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines