Patras Travel Answers

change location
maltese24's Profile Photo

Highway Athen-Lefkada

by maltese24 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 4:29 AM

I am going to drive from Athens to Lefkada and i read on tripadvisor that part of the road between Korinthos and Patras is dangerous....some 150km or so single-carriage crazy drivers making it dangerous. I'm not really believing all this but i just would like to know the opinion of you tourists as well as locals who drove through there. thank you

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • mindcrime's Profile Photo

Re: Highway Athen-Lefkada

by mindcrime Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 4:38 AM

yes, the truth is that the route Patras-Athens isnt the best highway we have, actually it is under renovation and never ending constructions the last 3000 years.

But big parts of it are already done with several lines per direction, in the other parts (away from Athens) the drivers have to slow down, you will see lot of cars using the safety line just to give priority for the stupid crazy drivers you've read about.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • maltese24's Profile Photo

by maltese24 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 4:41 AM

thank you for your answer. i am very excited to come to Greece and to Lefkada since the pictures i've seen on internet are just amazing. also to spend 1 week eating Greek food :)

the single-carriage part of the highway -> do you know how long does this stretch? and are there some poles or barriers to separate the other side?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

by mindcrime Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 4:48 AM

that's the problem, that there are not always barriers between the lines...
    that's why we use the safety line to minimize the risk of those who want to go fast and pass the others (or coming from the other side).

keep the speed limit and you'll be fine,

enjoy your trip!
    Lefkada is beautiful!

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 7:41 AM

All roads are dangerous where ever you go and I have driven that route without a problem. If you want to be on the safe side, just don't pass anyone. It has gotten better in Greece so just enjoy yourself and keep your eyes open.

cheers tommy x

• starstudio's Profile Photo

by starstudio Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Don't mind, just give some attention on the road.
    Don;t break the line even you feel loosing a little time. Crazy drivers make this mistake, that is all !
    Have nice time to Lefkada !!!

• quicktoys2's Profile Photo

by quicktoys2 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 6:02 AM

Hello,
    The highway from Korinthos to Patra is (was) under construction and many parts have only one lane each way with thin plastic cones seperating the traffic flow. My best advice is to drive during the day time if possible. When ever there is a shoulder, it is advisable to stick as far right as possible because the people that want to pass are going to pass anyway, so make it easier for them and safer for you.

Don't forget to stop in Patra and look around. There is a nice castle, an archaeological museum and other cool sites. Have a great trip.

Soto

• maltese24's Profile Photo

by maltese24 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Thank you very much for the great info! Yes i am driving during the day. leaving athens around 10am. Stop in Patra? interesting, i was not going to and i'm going to take your advice. Could you also suggest a good restaurant for lunch on our way to Lefkada? Maybe in Patra? I want Greek Food.

• quicktoys2's Profile Photo

by quicktoys2 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 6:10 AM

If you would like to eat some good tasty Greek souvlakia (kebabs) then at Square St George in the city center has a nice little shop, clean with a basic menu .... it is called Kalamaki and is on the lower end of the square (closer to the sea side)

Enjoy

• konstas's Profile Photo

by konstas Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I came from Lefkada 3 weeks ago and i didn't like it at all. Don't be afraid but be very very carefull. Never try to block someone who wants to make a pass on you and pay attention with big trucks.As for food keep your hunger till you reach the city of Lefkada.Don't forget to be ready to take fotos as you reach the bridge Rio-Antirio. Lefkada has great beaches but be prerared to feel cold water on your skin.

• starstudio's Profile Photo

by starstudio Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM

on your way .. spend one hour or more, stopping by to Mesolonghi, and visit the Heroes Yard (or Heroes Garden).
    Is one of the most historical points or Greece, Mesolonghi is known as the site of a dramatic siege during the Greek War of Independence, and of the death of poet Lord Byron.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Patras