Pasadena Travel Answers

change location
EPTraveler's Profile Photo

Rose Parade 2008 - Have seats...now where to stay??

by EPTraveler Online Now Feb 1, 2007 at 12:55 PM

I just reserved seats for the parade that are very close to the corner of Orange Grove and Colorado. My next challenge is to figure out where to stay, and how to get through the New Years Day madness to the parade. We are trying to avoid renting a car at this point. A couple questions for anyone who can help:

1. Are there any mid-priced hotels located within walking distance of that intersection?

2. If not, are there hotels that offer transportation to the Parade either free of charge to their guests, or for a minimal fee?

If there is smarter way to do this that anyone can recommend,I am totally open to suggestions at this point.

Thank you.

Joel

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • RE: Rose Parade 2008 - Have seats...now where to stay??

by gereegon Online Now Feb 1, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Try: www.pasadenacitycenter.com or www.tripadvisor.com

I believe the parade goes for 5 miles but I'm not sure what hotels or motels are on Colorado Blvd or within walking distance so hopefully the 2 websites I provided can assist you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Rose Parade 2008 - Have seats...now where to stay??

by joesorce Online Now Feb 1, 2007 at 6:02 PM

There is nothing in the area that is considered "medium priced" for that weekend. ArtistsInns.com is probably your best bet....many places like the Westin and the Marriot Courtyard and already sold out. There is a new shared-bath place called the Raymond Hotel that looks iffy, heard about it on craigslist.org...

• sandyn's Profile Photo

RE: Rose Parade 2008 - Have seats...now where to stay??

by sandyn Online Now Feb 1, 2007 at 9:51 PM

Hi! You have great seats--you'll have a spectacular time! You are smart to reserve now--the closest hotel to that intersection is the Old Pasadena Courtyard by Marriott--they may still have reservations. Artists Inn is not close by so forget that. There are motels like Best Western up and down Colorado--just know that people camp out on the sidewalk and it is outrageously crowded, so making your way along the sidewalks is difficult, and the closer you can stay, the better. Try these websites: www.tournamentofroses.com (or call them), www.PasadenaCityCenter.com, or OldPasadena.org, or try calling the Pasadena Convention and Visitor's Bureau at 1-877-793-9911. I don't know which hotels have shuttles to the parade, but I'm sure if you call around you can find out. It is so crowded and traffic is so horrible that I recommend that you be willing to increase your price range if you find a place that has a shuttle. Another recommendation--stay further away, like Embassy Suites in Arcadia, and take the Gold Line to the Memorial Park station which is near that intersection (maybe 15 minutes walking--with the crowds.) Good luck and keep posting--we go to the Parade every year and sit in the same area so I'm sure I can help with other questions you have. Just wondering--do you know what side of the street you are sitting on? If you are on Orange Grove you should sit on the east side; if you are on Colorado you should sit on the south side--otherwise the moring sun will be in your eyes, and if we have our usual beautiful California weather, it can make viewing the Parade difficult, even with sunglasses!

• EPTraveler's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Rose Parade 2008 - Have seats...now where to stay??

by EPTraveler Online Now Feb 5, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Thank you everyone!

Sandy,

I called the Courtyard by Marriott, and they do have availability, but the rate is319 + per night, and I just can't justify spending that much for that class of hotel. I like your idea about staying out further. The Embassy Suites in Arcadia is sold out, however they have a sister hotel, the Hampton Inn a few blocks away that has availability for189.00 which I think is reasonable for the holiday, however the rate is non-refundable which brings me to my next hurdle. I have to wait a couple weeks for the airlines to list their schedules that far in advance before I can commit to a hotel. They offer a shuttle service (Gold Line as you mentioned) to the parade for something like10.00.

I am going to call the Visitor's Bureau as you suggest, and see what other options are open for the surrounding areas.

Our seats are supposedly in the first bleacher section after the corner of Orange Grove and Colorado. We are on the South side of Colorado. I spent literally 3 hours dialing the phone on the first day tickets became available. It was hell, but I think it paid off.

Thanks again for your help. Looking forward to our stay in Pasedena. Wish I was there now. It's has been below zero here for 3 days in a row. In the minus teens at night. Burrrrrrr!!

Joel

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines