Pasadena Travel Answers

change location
EPTraveler's Profile Photo

Rose Parade 2008

by EPTraveler Online Now Nov 7, 2006 at 7:58 AM

We would like to attend next year's Parade (New Years Day, 2008). I am looking for tips on how to have the best experience with the least amount of stress. Is it too late to plan for 2008? I appreciate anyone who can help with:

Where to stay;
Who to go to for reserved bleacher seats for the parade;
How to get from hotel to parade;
Information on how to tour the floats before and after the parade. Possibly watch them being made.

We are not looking for a bargin basement experience, but always appreciate a good deal.

Thanks you!

Joel

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

RE: Rose Parade 2008

by lmkluque Online Now Nov 7, 2006 at 8:32 AM

Hi Joel,

I've never even wanted to go to the Rose Parade, let alone planned the trip. However, if I did want to join that chaotic scene and I had a year to plan this is what I'd do.

First I'd search the on-line newspaper for Pasadena

The Pasadena Star News, All About the Rose Parade:

pasadenastarnews.com/search/...

This article gives addresses for parking along the five and a half mile route of the Parade. Finding a hotel near one of these locations might be a convenient idea. A map of the route is on this page as well as numbers to call for various bits of information.

I would also check out this website:

pasadenacal.com/rose_parade_...

Here you'll find out even more info, including where to Pre-view the floats, where you could "camp-out" the night before the Parade and phone numbers to call for more specific facts that you may want.

Hope this helps,
    Linda

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Rose Parade 2008

by southofla Online Now Nov 7, 2006 at 8:51 AM

It is not too late but getting there. I have done this just about every year for the last several(including last years Parade in the rain). I have always done it without a tour, but I do know there are specific tours that do this each year and handle these for you.

If you do want to do it by yourself then all the reserved seating goes through Sharp Seating Company. The Bleachers at the TV End are pretty much sold out, but there will still plenty of places available along the 5 mile route. They are not covered so in the event of rain be prepared!!!!!. The price will vary based on view, but they run from about 30 to 90 dollars each. YOu can purchase Reserved Parking in advance which if you want less stress this is the way to go. Just be aware that is it stacked parking in most places which means that you will be stuck in there until the other cars around you leave. There is street parking but your walking distance could be quite far and you will have to get there early.

Most hotels around Pasadena will already be sold out but you can get one in surrounding areas such as Glendale or Burbank. Since this is New Years Morning your best bet would to already have rented a car to get there. There is public transportation but it would be very crowded and still may drop you off far away from your actual seats.

Sharp Seating can also give you all of the information on Pre and Post parade viewing. You can purchase tickets through them or at each location on the day of the events. The Float Building is in several locations around Pasadena with the main site at the Rose Bowl Parking lot. Depending on the day you go you can see them in various stages of completion. The post parade is at the end of the parade route and they pretty much line them up in the park and you walk by them. The big thing about the post parade is that they will not be animated except for a select few and you really should go there on the 1st they are there for a couple of days afterwards but you can tell the age after a while.

Let me know if you need any more specific information.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Rose Parade 2008

by lmkluque Online Now Nov 7, 2006 at 8:55 AM

>>>Most hotels around Pasadena will already be sold out

He's planning his trip for next year, so would the hotels be sold out for the 2008 Parade already?

• RE: RE: Rose Parade 2008

by southofla Online Now Nov 7, 2006 at 2:14 PM

>He's planning his trip for next year, so would the hotels be sold out for the 2008 Parade already?>

Whoops...didn't register that they were asking about 2008 not 2007, thanks for catching that. I think that most hotels only book up to a year in advance so 2008 should not be a problem.

• sandyn's Profile Photo

by sandyn Online Now Nov 7, 2006 at 9:06 PM

Hi! You have plenty of time for the 2008 Parade for reservations, tix, etc. You even have time for the 2007 Parade--it's just a little harder). You will love the Parade--it is awesome, and the Tournament of Roses has everything down to a science--it is crowded but very easily and enjoyably do-able! We have done it every year for the last 15 years.
    The best place to start is with the Tournament's web site at www.tournamentofroses.com. Most of your questions can be answered there. The Pasadena Chamber of Commerce and other Pasadena civic organizations that you can Google can help too. Also, choose a nice hotel nearby and speak with their concierge--they often have special arrangements (like seats and transportation)for their guests. Are you connected with any corporation or city sending a float to the parade? That could be another resource--the Parade website can help you there. I would also suggest that if finances permit, you consider a tour (take a look at the Tauck Tournament of Roses tour at www.Tauck.com--it's really great) A tour would probably guarantee you the best seats, easiest transportation and the least amount of stress.
    To tour the floats before--the Tournament website can help you, or contact one of the float decorating companies (like Phoenix Decorating-www.phxdeco.com) for information. If you can arrive a few days before, consider helping decorate a float--it's really fun, all done by volunteers and amazing to see the painstaking work that goes in to these masterpieces! You can attend the post-parade float viewing on Sierra Madre Blvd. after the parade and see the floats up close--just be warned that it's very crowded and you may have to walk a good bit after you find a place to park. As for places to stay--the Ritz Carlton Huntington Hotel is the nicest around here; the Embassy Suites in next door Arcadia is less expensive and a good deal with a great free breakfast and great big suites that work well for a family. Once again, contact the Tournamnet of Roses or the Visitor's Bureau (www.pasadenacal.com) or the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce for their help and tips. I hope this helps--please post again with any other questions! We absolutely love the Parade and enjoy helping anyone who wants to attend--Good Luck!

• EPTraveler's Profile Photo

by EPTraveler Online Now Nov 13, 2006 at 6:41 PM

Thank you to everyone who responded! The parade sounds more doable now, than I ever thought it would be. We are definately going to make it happen for 2008! I will be back in the near future with more detailed questions.

Happy Holidays! to all, and thanks again for the great information you have provided.

Happy Travels,

Joel

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines