Parque Nacional Tikal Travel Answers

change location
mikarov99's Profile Photo

Going to Tika for one day from Guatemla city and back.

by mikarov99 Online Now Aug 26, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Im not quite sure but its possible to take overnight bus to Flores day before visit Tikal and after my visit to tikal take another overnight bus back to guatemala city.

Safety of the buses how safe are overnight bus from Guatemala City to Flores is one things i most concerned.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Chenbaaxal's Profile Photo

Re: Going to Tikal for one day from Guatemla city and back.

by Chenbaaxal Online Now Aug 28, 2009 at 12:18 PM

You can likely do it quite safely. It has been years since I read about any robberies of them. Someone I have confidence in also told me that anyone trying such a stunt would likely end up dead. To have your locked bag completely safe while you sleep, you could also use a light chain lock to attach it to something solid overhead.

If you take a first class or better bus, at least someone will meet it with an offer to take you to Tikal. If it one of the San Juan Agency monopoly drivers, the round trip ticket you buy will be good with any other driver. If he is a free-lancer, you will be coming back with him, but he will do his best to find you at whatever appointed time is involved. He could then take you back to the bus station, but you would do better to spend the extra time exploring Flores and taking a cheap tuk tuk to the station.

My impression is that your current best bet for a good night's sleep is in one of the deluxe seats in one of the first class Fuente del Norte ones. I plan to check it out in January myself.

Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gfinesilver's Profile Photo

Re: Going to Tika for one day from Guatemla city and back.

by gfinesilver Online Now Sep 30, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Maya de Oro buses by Fuente del Norte are nice and safe and they play great horror movies for the local children to watch before they try and sleep. it will be a long drive to do it all in one day, but it's possible. if you want to be more relaxed about it, there are flights.

remember, your bus will take you to Santa Elena (Flores) so you have to catch a van or another service from there to Tikal, about an hour away.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Parque Nacional Tikal