Parque Nacional Tikal Travel Answers

change location
278ranje278's Profile Photo

Guided Tour VS. Self Tour

by 278ranje278 Online Now Apr 26, 2009 at 4:52 PM

My Boyfriend and I are planning on visiting Tikal in July. So I am wondering, is it safer to take a guide to the ruins or is it ok to hoof it on your own? Are there a lot of trails, do they provide a map? Also, we may take my 7 yr old daughter.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • onebadcat's Profile Photo

Re: Guided Tour VS. Self Tour

by onebadcat Online Now Apr 28, 2009 at 8:16 AM

The ruins are very easy to walk on your own. If you are traveling with a Lonely Planet or similar guide book you will already have a map (you can also buy an overpriced one at the gate). Also, there is a large map just inside the entry which you can photograph with your digital and reference later if needed. The area is quite large but getting lost is fairly difficult even without a map. Where safety is concerned – are you worried about getting lost, getting mugged, animals? I wouldn't worry too much. Hundreds of people roam the ruins every day without issue. If you do take a tour I would make sure you allow yourself some time away from your group to enjoy the place on your own. Tours are great for information but wandering place to place with 20 or 30 people tends to take the magic out of a spot – for me anyway.

Scott

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Foundryman1's Profile Photo

by Foundryman1 Online Now Apr 29, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I had four people in my tour group so I didn't feel too crowded-The guides are very knowledgable and can tell you alot.Not all of them speak english though.I've heard stories of people getting mugged in the more remote places but you hear that about everywhere in central america. If you.ve got the time to wander around on your own and I say go for it, If you are only gonna be there one day get a guide.

• Chenbaaxal's Profile Photo

by Chenbaaxal Online Now Apr 30, 2009 at 4:59 AM

Tikal guides are very knowledgeable about the names (in Spanish) of local flora and fauna. which you will never rembember. They will also entertain you and keep you from getting lost at Tikal, but their real knowledge about the Maya generally sucks.

Most travel book guides will have more accurate information about Tikal than the local guides will. If you have one of them, a compass and a map, and you stay on the main trails, you should be fine.

See latinamericanstudies.org/tik...
    for printing a map.

Start as early in the day as possible and have plenty of DEET.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Parque Nacional Tikal