Parque Nacional Tikal Travel Answers

change location
garcom01's Profile Photo

traveling in March

by garcom01 Online Now Jan 2, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Hi I'm going to Guatemala in March, during Holy Week. What should I see? Also, I want to go to Tikal, is flying from the capital the best way? Thanks, Garrett

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Re: traveling in March

by easterntrekker Online Now Jan 2, 2008 at 7:08 PM

I would definely head to Antigua . Its a beautiful ancient city with an amazing Cathedral. We flew to Flores ( it saves a lot of time)and the lodge we stayed in in El Remate sent a driver for us. Here's a link to my travel page on Tikal if you want to have a look. Parque Nacional Tikal Hotel Tips by easterntrekker

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: traveling in March

by JJDelmonte Online Now Jan 4, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Hi there, flying out of GC is the only way to get to Flores, unless you're flying from Cancun. YOur other option is to take the overnight deluxe bus which should save you a ton of money and it's safe. You save yourself one hotel night and put you in Flores first thing in the morning to take a shuttle van to Tikal. It takes about 8 hours to get there. You can do the same thing on the way back and stop in the rio dulce area and chill out at the any of the resorts along the river/lake . Check out www.fincatatin.centroamerica.com or www.mayaparadise.com Good luck.

• Chenbaaxal's Profile Photo

Re: traveling in March

by Chenbaaxal Online Now Jan 10, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Be sure to get your room in Antigua rented several months to a year ago. Prices really go up for those wanting to gawk at the locals there too.

Don't expect much of the "deluxe" buses and you won't be disappointed.

• Re: traveling in March

by renjinmei Online Now Jan 21, 2008 at 4:28 PM

The best way now is by bus. Linea Dorado is a safer bus than Fuentes del Norte. (their drivers are sane!) It takes 8 hours to get to Flores and then you can get a shuttle to tikal. They have overnight buses or day buses. We just took the day bus and stopped in Poptun so we could spend a couple of days at the Finca Ixobel which has some great food, cave excursions and lots of interesting travelers.
    flying costs250 round trip.
    Bus cost about60 round trip.
    Good luck. Tammy
    I forgot about Holy week. Depends on when you are here. Antigua/Xela Before, during and after and Santiago Atitlan for the actual weds - Sat. when they re-dress Maximon and have him on the cross close to Jesus. Wonderful colored sawdust, flowers and pine carpets in all three places.
    PS> if you need any help fell free to email me I have lived in Guate for 20 yrs. tlr@mayaexpeditions.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Parque Nacional Tikal