change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• mggm59's Profile Photo

Car rentals to go to Chile

Argentina Sep 20, 2015 at 2:17 PM

I am planning to go to Central/South Argentina moving by car, crossing into Chile in different points. I am not afraid to drive long hours, and I prefer to be able to stop when and where I like for taking pictures or just because I am tired, or to take the less beaten roads. I have been already twice to Argentina and took the rental car out to Chile a few years ago.

However, now I see this in Europcars conditions:

Cross border is only available into Uruguay at 82,64 USD and should be requested 72 working hours before the pick up day to with a copy of the drivers passport and licence. This is only available to Uruguay. If the permit is not requested before this time the driver can request it at time of rental; however they will need to wait 72 working hours and will need to collect the permit from one of the Europcar offices (it is not possible for delivery of permit). CROSS BORDER INTO CHILE IS NO MORE AVAILABLE DUE TO NEW LAWS IN ARGENTINA

Is this true? Other rental companies seem still to offer this option, or are the web sites not up to date? Thanks for any recent info and experience.

Also, any cheap rentals you might advice? Fiat Palio or similar, or if not too costly, Idea or small SUV/pickup, five weeks (is it possible to bargain on a long rental?)

• Need help planning a budget trip with lots of bang

by sharirlwillis Online Now Jul 15, 2004 at 10:49 PM

Tierra del Fuego: Need help planning a budget trip with lots of bang Fri July 16 00:44:54 2004 CDT Q: I am planning a trip to Argentina in late Sept, early Oct 2004 and will be doing so on a budget. I likely will fly in from Kansas to Miami, and then from Miami to BA. I love adventure and exploration and want to spend most of my time seeing all of the things we don't have in Kansas! (Which leaves things wide open, I suppose). I would really like to see the wildlife at Peninsula Valdes, the glaciers at Los Glaciares and also want to visit Tierra del Fuego. Snowboarding in the Andes would also be a real plus. I can probably take off 11 to 12 days for the entire trip. I will be on a tight budget (I can't spend any more that1500 per person, or3000 for the two of us) and certainly don't require fancy accomodations or anything. In fact, I thought it might be fun to stay at a bed and breakfast or two. So, here are my questions: 1. Timewise, is this at all possible? 2. Moneywise, is this at all possible? 3. How much time should I allot for each location? 4. How, considering my budget and time, should I travel from one location to the next? Plane? Car? Bus? And, can you specify any particular companies I should use? 5. Should I be using a travel agent, and if so do you have any suggestions? 6. Am I forgetting anything super important? Thanks in advance for you input. If you want to email me directly, you can do so at Shari

2 Answers Jul 31, 2004 at 10:14 AM
    • How is Tierra del Fuego off-season?

by JillianH Online Now Jun 10, 2004 at 6:16 PM

A friend and I will be traveling to Argentina this Fall and we would really like to go to Tierra del Fuego--but it may have to be mid-September. Is it worth taking a trip there at that time of year and what could I expect for the weather? Thanks for your response!!

2 Answers Jun 12, 2004 at 8:35 AM