Paros Travel Answers

change location
Webgab's Profile Photo

General question regarding budgeting for meals

by Webgab Online Now Aug 25, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Hi, I have been reading the reviews for restaurants in Paros and now my mouth is watering! But I need to get an idea of how much money (USD) to budget for food. I will be in Athens 2 days, Paros 4 days and Santorini 4 days in October. My breakfast is included at the hotels I am staying at so I will be eating lunch and dinner out. I am not a big eater, quantity-wise, but do appreciate fine food. Other times I am also perfectly happy with a good burger and beer. Prefer to stay away from the crowded touristy spots so perhaps I will pay more or less for doing this? Any suggestions?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • DvaSrca's Profile Photo

Re: General question regarding budgeting for meals

by DvaSrca Online Now Aug 26, 2010 at 5:27 AM

The prices can vary a lot from restaurant to restaurant and from fast food restaurant to tavern. So here are estimates per person for different types of places to eat (in Euros, do the conversion in USD to see how much to take with you):

Fast food restaurants: Souvlaki is a very common option found everywhere in Greece, there is no chance you are not gonna try it. It's about 2 euros/piece so let's say with about 5-6 euros per person you are going to be completely full.

Tavern (taverna in Greek): Expect to pay around 20-25 euros per person for a very good meal including salad, a main dish, fries and something to drink. If you skip one of the courses, it can be even cheaper.

Restaurant: A good restaurant in Greece can cost from as low as 30 to as high as 60 euros per person. It depends on how "gourmet" the menu is going to be.

Keep in mind that tavernas are the most usual eating spots for both Greeks and tourists. High-class restaurants are the least common option, since tavernas themselves have a lot of traditional dishes that are usually more delicious and well-priced. Fast food in the form of souvlaki is extremely common all year round for Greeks. Try all of these options, I would aim for around 20-25 euros per day per person for food, considering you will try all the options mentioned. If you are not into high class restaurants, 15 euros per day will suffice. Try to eat lunch at taverns and a souvlaki on the go for dinner. This is how people usually do it here :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Webgab's Profile Photo

by Webgab Online Now Aug 27, 2010 at 3:26 AM

Thanks very much for the tips!

• Paroshep's Profile Photo

by Paroshep Online Now Jul 27, 2011 at 7:11 AM

I just saw this and thought I would up-date it a bit. Food and especially restaurant/taverna food has been going up noticeably every year. So figure at least 10% more for 2011.
    Also Athens tends to run about 20% more than Paros and Santorini 10-15% more.

Cheers,

• ApostolosV's Profile Photo

by ApostolosV Online Now Jan 8, 2014 at 1:23 PM

For a good meal is about 20 euros per person. A good are to stay is Ambelas Paros. It's not crowded , it has a lot of room and good places to eat. you can check the official cultural association of ambelas paros at http://www.ambelasparos.gr

• sakratif's Profile Photo

by sakratif Online Now Jan 27, 2014 at 7:05 AM

also you can have a good meal at the same price about in other places as well in Paros

paroseasybooking.gr/going-ou...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines