Parnaíba Travel Answers

change location
Saltora's Profile Photo

from Jeri to parnaiba and lencoes

by Saltora Online Now Jun 23, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I am travelling the 15th august from Jeri to Parnaiba and then the day after from there to Barrerinhas. I am alone so I will use public transport, if any. If anyone is travelling there these days, we can share a car...
ciao thanks

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: from Jeri to parnaiba and lencoes

by cassiovieggore Online Now Jun 23, 2009 at 3:26 PM

I believe the name Jeri you had mentioned is Jericoacoara/Ceará state.
    The place is superb but reach the Park (Jericoacoara is a park) is not so easy.
    I will send a e-mail attached to map to your VT-mail. Since Jericoacoara became a ecological Park
    building roads on it is forbidden. That's why it's hard to brazilians like me who lives in Minas Gerais state to drive into Jericoacoara. I believe the people who lives around knows how to reach Jericoacoara.
    As far as I read there are many dunes around it and if the driver don't know the right way to head the car it will be stuck in the sand. Further on I don't know if brazilians officers call for requirements to be in Jericoacoara with your own car. Is there a permission to go by car to Jericoacoara?
    I hope you will be succeed since Jericoacoara really is a amazing place.
    Cassiovieggore

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: from Jeri to parnaiba and lencoes

by cassiovieggore Online Now Jun 23, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I believe the name Jeri you had mentioned is Jericoacoara/Ceará state.
    The place is superb but reach the Park (Jericoacoara is a park) is not so easy.
    I will send a e-mail attached to map to your VT-mail. Since Jericoacoara became a ecological Park
    building roads on it is forbidden. That's why it's hard to brazilians like me who lives in Minas Gerais state to drive into Jericoacoara. I believe the people who lives around knows how to reach Jericoacoara.
    As far as I read there are many dunes around it and if the driver don't know the right way to head the car it will be stuck in the sand. Further on I don't know if brazilians officers call for requirements to be in Jericoacoara with your own car. Is there a permission to go by car to Jericoacoara?
    I hope you will be succeed since Jericoacoara really is a amazing place.
    Cassiovieggore

• bahiana77's Profile Photo

Re: from Jeri to parnaiba and lencoes

by bahiana77 Online Now Jun 23, 2009 at 4:17 PM

I really wish people wouldn't post about things they know nothing about. In this case, bad advice could even be dangerous.
    Having travelled in that area, I can say that, as long as you use public transportation, you will be fine. The bus goes to Barreirinhas on paved roads. (From there, you might take a tour in a 4 wheel drive vehicle on the sand roads and dunes.). However if, by "share a car", you mean you intend to drive, do not even think about it in this deserted area or you might be stuck for hours watching the pigs cross the (yes, asphalt) road and the jegues wandering up and down it, but .... no one to rescue you in case of a breakdown.

by bahiana77 Online Now Jun 23, 2009 at 4:25 PM

And as far as Jeri is concerned, yes, the bus most tourists take from Fortaleza only goes most of the way, on the paved road. Included in the fare is the 4x4 that goes the rest of the way into Jeri on the sand.
    If you intend to go from Jeri up the coast along the beach by private jeep/4x4, then yes it can be a bit expensive to do it without dividing the cost. But there is, as I said, public bus transport along the paved roads.
    Also, be aware that, up there, things sometimes do not run to schedule, so allow lots of time to get where you're going.

by bahiana77 Online Now Jun 23, 2009 at 4:25 PM

And as far as Jeri is concerned, yes, the bus most tourists take from Fortaleza only goes most of the way, on the paved road. Included in the fare is the 4x4 that goes the rest of the way into Jeri on the sand.
    If you intend to go from Jeri up the coast along the beach by private jeep/4x4, then yes it can be a bit expensive to do it without dividing the cost. But there is, as I said, public bus transport along the paved roads.
    Also, be aware that, up there, things sometimes do not run to schedule, so allow lots of time to get where you're going.

• Saltora's Profile Photo

by Saltora Online Now Jun 25, 2009 at 3:13 AM

thanks for your mail. I need to go from Jerico to Parnaiba and then to Lencoes (and then to sao louis). To complicate things I would need to go from Parnaiba to Barrerihas in a sunday... do you know which bus company does that to see if they work on sundays...?

many thanks

by bahiana77 Online Now Jun 25, 2009 at 8:12 AM

There's only one bus company, I believe, since this is a very 'empty' part of the country. For example, the bus from Barreirinhas to Sao Luis runs only 3 times a day. I don't think Sunday schedules are any different. The schedules should be on the ANTT site (backpackingbrazil.com/?q=nod.... Allow lots of time when travelling in this area, because things do not always go as you think they will.
    Note that you can also enter the Parque Lencois from Santo Amaro, which is a fishing village just on the edge of the dunes, a less touristy option. You have to get to Sangue, at mile 101 on the highway from Barreirinhas to Sao Luis, and get a 4x4 (2X a day) another hour into the Parque.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Parnaíba