Park City Travel Answers

change location

Summering in Park City with the family?

by robertpetry Online Now Mar 13, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Hello all!

I need some advice from those of you who live in or frequent the mountain time zone in general and Park City Utah in particular. I travel quite a bit and work out of my home in the Midwest. It recently dawned on me that I could work out of anywhere from Ohio to Utah and it would make no difference as long as I was w/in 30-40 minutes of a major airport, had Sprint cellphone service and a high speed internet connection.

So I have decided to take my wife and our two elementary school aged children and "relocate" for the month of July. We talked about it and would like to go somewhere that is not too hot, has many activities including hiking, biking, fishing, kayaking, etc. local. We have wanted to take a trip out west and I think a month based in someplace like Park City is the perfect answer. We can take a couple of long weekends and go to Arches and Yellowstone, visit Sundance and downtown Park City. PC seems to have everything I need.

So my questions are:

1. Is Park City a good choice for this? I will need to travel for business to MN, Chicago and Omaha and probably others during the trip so proximity to a major airport is important. We also want to go someplace where there is a lot to do!
2. We want to rent a 2+ or 3 bedroom condo (we need a master bedroom, kids bedroom and a temporary office) for the month of July. It needs to be fairly nice, have a pool, nearby bike trails and a central location or easy bus access. Air conditioning would be very good. I have seen ads online for Town Pointe, Red Pine (Canyons), Prospector Square, All Seasons, Park Meadows and Bear Hollow. Which would be best? Why? Any other suggestions?

Finally, I will be in PC next Friday afternoon and Saturday (March 21 and 22) and would like to look at a couple of places.

While this is obviously not ski related, I know there are a lot of PC regulars who's input will be very valuable to me and my family. We are looking forward to a great trip and a whole month to experience a new part of the country!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Segolily's Profile Photo

Re: Summering in Park City with the family?

by Segolily Online Now Mar 14, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Park City seems to have everything you asked for.
    -Close to the airport? I time it once, from the airport exit to the Kimball Junction was 30 min, add more time to get into Park City and negotiate the airport.
    -I don't know but I can't believe Sprint wouldn't be available up there.
    -Hot? well it does get hot in Park City, but not as bad as in the valley
    -activities? Yes ! Biking, you can take the lifts to the top of the mountains and bike down, there is the rail to trail path just outside of Park City, there are all the resort activities- the alpine slide and coaster. You would be very close to the wonderful Uinta mountains where the fishing and hiking are plentiful. Fishing is available in Jordenelle and Stawberry Res as well, both very close. You are also close to Heber Valley with the Heber Creeper Railroad, hikes up Mt Timpanogoes
    -Jackson and Yellowstone would be a half day drive away, Moab about the same. And they would be great to visit.

Sounds like a great plan to me. But unfortunately I'm not good with accommodations. We've stayed on and just off Main street, in Prospector Square, at the Canyons, and I couldn't say that one was a better area than another. I liked being in town better but there are good reasons I'm sure for the other areas as well. I don't think you can go too wrong with any of them.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Summering in Park City with the family?

by robertpetry Online Now Mar 25, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Hello again everybody! Thank you all for your great advice and info on Park City.

I work for Novell and attended BrainShare in SLC last week. This gave me a day to go up to PC and look at some units. BTW, I love PC. I had never walked up Main St. or really driven around town. It was beautiful! Plus the skiing on Sunday, March 23rd at PC resort was fantastic! 22 new inches of snow in 24 hours! I thought my legs were going to fall off by 2:30!

Anyway, I spent about 6 hours looking around and visited condos in Prospector Square, Park Meadows, Bear Hollow, Red Pine and Towne Point. They all have their pros and cons but I think I like Towne Point the best – followed by Bear Hollow second. Basically, it is a choice between being close to town or staying out where there is room for the kids to run. (That last comment made my mother-in-law nervous. She is afraid a bear will eat one of our kids). After talking about it, I think my wife and I would prefer Towne Point (TP).

So I found one unit at TP on VRBO but wanted to look at others. I googled and found some via mountain reservations.

mtnres.com/details.asp?id=30...

Unfortunately, they want about twice as much as the rental-by-owner guy. I just think3900 is too high for a month in the summer. I thought2,000 was much more reasonable.

So based on this new info I have two more questions for you wise folks!

1) Does anyone know of or have a Towne Point, 3 BR unit they would like to rent out over July?
    2) Does anyone else have any suggestions of a location close to town with a pool and high-speed internet?

Thanks again!!! I am really looking forward to this trip!!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines