Park City Travel Answers

change location
CindyInItaly's Profile Photo

When does the snow begin?

by CindyInItaly Online Now Jul 31, 2005 at 4:37 AM

We are wanting to take my family (from FL) to see some snow and possibly go tubing, but aren't having luck finding a lift open in mid-end November. Any suggestions? We are staying at Miners at the Canyons. Is there any snow usually in November? What else could we do that they would enjoy regarding snow fun?!? Thanks in advance!

Cindy

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

RE: When does the snow begin?

by karenincalifornia Online Now Aug 4, 2005 at 1:56 PM

I lived in Utah for many years. November is iffy. Sometimes the snow comes early and there will be snow. But sometimes there is not enough snow for the ski resorts to open by Thanksgiving and that really hurts them. Very rarely is any ski resort open in mid-November. Thanksgiving weekend is usually the absolute earliest.

Possibly, there could be a storm even before the ski resorts open. If that happens, look for tubing spots outside the ski resorts. I'm not up on the latest location, but the locals will know.

If there isn't any snow, hang out at Park City. It's a great town and there are many restaurants and cool shops.

Karen

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mittens's Profile Photo

by mittens Online Now Aug 4, 2005 at 3:43 PM

November is sometimes iffy. Sometimes we are skiing by Halloween, but last year started late (December) and lasted much longer (June/July!) It's impossible to predict.

HOWEVER, last season saw Snowbird and Brighton opening by EARLY November. Are you set on staying in the Park City area? The Big and Little Cottonwood canyon resorts always open sooner. I don't know where you can go tubing but that's where several feet of snow will be in mid-November. Snowbird has all kinds of lodging options: http://www.snowbird.com/ It's about a 30 min. drive to SLC - same as Canyons/Park City.

good luck!
    *mittens*

• CindyInItaly's Profile Photo

by CindyInItaly Online Now Aug 5, 2005 at 9:00 AM

We were trying to decide between Snowbird and Park City, but decided on Park City when we found an opening for a 4 bedroom suite at the Miners Club. We'll be there for sure Nov 12-19 so keep you fingers crossed there is snow!! My parents don't travel much, and have NEVER seen snow. We've spoken with a horse riding company in the area so if tubing fails, we'll have horses for sure. Just one more question: How does tubing work? Does everybody just have their own tubes and go on their own or are there a lot of groomed hills where you rent tubes and pay to play? Thanks for your help ladies!

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

RE: RE: When does the snow begin?

by karenincalifornia Online Now Aug 5, 2005 at 9:16 AM

First of all - Park City is a good choice. I love Snowbird, too, but Snowbird doesn't have a real town. It is an upscale ski resort with a number of large concrete hotels. It has the feel of a European ski resort and has great slopes, but I would choose Park City over Snowbird for a wider variety of activities, restaurants and shops. In addition, you have a better choice of condos in Park City (which is probably what you already learned). Park ity is where we go when we visit Utah in the winter.

I am sure you can rent tubes and sledding equipment at some of the ski shops in Park City. If not, purchase an inexpensive saucer or two. Yes, most people bring their own tubes and sleds. It's possible there is a sledding park in the area that might also supply tubes (if it is open). I wish I could give you better information, but we always ski, so I'm not as familiar with the sledding. I do know that there is a lot of sledding in the area.

I'm not sure that the horse stables will be open in mid-November, so you might want to check into that if you get the name of a stable. It's just a fact of life that the slowest season in Park City is late autumn right before it snows. If you hit it at that time, it will still be fun. It will be quiet, which is nice, but all the restaurants and shops should be open. I think at that time you can also take the gondola at Park City up to the top (I know it's open in the summer), and it would be fun to walk around up there.

Kared

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines