Paris Travel Answers

change location
Dabs's Profile Photo

Hotels in the 5e

by Dabs Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I'm going to Paris the 1st week of June and I contacted the hotel that we stayed at last time in the 5th and they said they don't take reservations for June until late March!!! Seems to me that's too long to wait to book for early June especially since I'm hoping to book a twin room. I've made a tenative reservation but am willing to check out a few more. I'm not looking for a lot of frills, just a clean comfortable place to stay that is close to a metro station. I've stayed in several Paris hotels so I already know that my bathroom is likely to be the size of a closet :-) The hotels I'm finding so far are in the 95€ (the one I can't book until March)-121€ range, I'm finding a lot that are higher than that of course but as we'll likely only be sleeping there I don't want to spend much more than 120€ per night.

BTW I started at booking.com and every hotel I've looked at so far is more expensive on booking.com and in a lot of cases booking.com says it's sold out but the hotel lists availability. So it always pays to double check!

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • tango_jd's Profile Photo

Re: Hotels in the 5e

by tango_jd Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 7:55 AM

I've stayed at two hotels in this area - both very nice and in a convenient location (10 mins walk to Notre Dame)
    They are both on Rue Des Ecoles - the Hotel Moderne St Germain, and (just last November) the hotel Quatier Latin.
    You can Google Street-view them easily enough if that helps.
    We were very content in both - and they were quite reasonably priced.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 8:07 AM

We recently stayed in the fifth and really liked it. Here's the web site. hotelfrancequartierlatin.com...

Enjoy Paris.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM

yes that is normal for reservations 3 months in advance, and if really like be there on March 20-30 to get the room you like.
    plenty of hotels on the central 5éme arrondissement close to metro stations. In that price range yes on the sizes, they go a bit higher in Paris. I know, work in the business in deluxe hotel just posted one tip on Le Grand Hotel..;::)

I have many in my page that I stayed alone or business, and all over Paris. I have been using them more as my world home office is there and need to report once in a couple months now from Brittany,before I lived next door so never need it them. You can see if they are what you are looking for. Its really a personal choice.
    "Le Grand ICH Paris" - Inter-Continental Le Grand Hotel Paris Tip by gwened

hope it helps

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Thanks John but I checked and both of those are over what I want to pay for my stay.

Beausoleil, that's the hotel I have currently booked as my backup. I'm waiting until the Eurostar tickets are on sale so I know my actual dates and then I may book that one as my real hotel (website is much cheaper than booking.com but there is a small reservation fee on their website)

The other hotel I was eyeing was the Familia which I have to guarantee which is coming in at 121€

http://www.familiahotel.com/

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM

For info: booking.com shows hotels as 'sold out' when the rooms that hotel has made available to the site are booked for those dates.

Hotels do not automatically make all rooms avaiable on booking.com (or other agency websites).

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Another reason (which seems to vary substantially according to location) is whether hotels are prepared to accept booking via agency websites outside x months in advance. If they don't that will also make them show as 'full'.

It seems from what Gwened has posted that 3 months or so is usual for Parisian hotels?

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Yes, I just posted that as an FYI, booking.com etc are only useful to a point. I recently booked a hotel in Florida via the hotel's website even though booking.com said they were sold out. Which some people might think means it's actually sold out as opposed to booking.com just not having the ability to book the room. And this was the 1st time that I've seen hotel rooms being significantly higher on booking.com, not just one hotel but literally every hotel I checked.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I am surprised at that (which won't surprise you :-) ). It's certainly not my experience. But I've not used booking.com for Paris and I wonder if the sold-out/higher prices thing is location (or even country) specific, perhaps related to Gwened's point?

I've occasionally seen venere with higher rates than booking.com, though not by much, but I really have only found one hotel so far which offers lower rates (not by much) on its own website.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM

This is the 1st time I've had that experience actually so it was a little bit of a surprise. Every other time I've used booking.com every website including the hotel had the same price more or less. In this case for a 6 night stay I'm averaging100 more for the entire stay. Maybe because booking.com has free cancellation and the hotel's websites typically have a booking fee or a 1 night guarantee? Or they want to encourage you to use their direct website? Whatever the case it's a good reminder to check directly with the hotel before booking with a 3rd party website

Both Premier Inns in London, on the other hand, were exactly the same and for some odd reason it wouldn't let me use my US based credit card on Premier's site (I'm sure I've booked directly with them before) so I booked on booking.com

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM

all booking sites buys in from hotel chains on the expected room revenue they made not do themselves therefore need help filling the vacancy rates, if hotels do 70% full over a specific period they are ok if not they will eventually close or be sold out. 90% is the ideal world so booking,venere,expedia all gets a cut.
    once the cut is out,they are full, so you need to look elsewhere, however ,hotels themselves always have some rooms just in case you are willing to pay or they are willing to discount prices.
    its call room revenue...

cheers

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Travelfrosch experienced the same issue a couple of weeks ago with a PI (not London) and US cards. It seems that they are having issues with US cards not being accepted at the moment (not a direct choice by PI). Glad you were able to get round it by using booking.com.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 5:19 AM

yes part of the tight USA security worldwide, Credit/debit cards from US banks sometimes dont work. My father had to replace his with BOA and I had to help as the verification process is long and old details he can hardly remember.He lives here with me but still uses his US bank account the old men dont want to get rid of.....lol!!!

So for it is well advice to let your US bank know in writing what countries you will be visiting next and the use of which card.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

by GentleSpirit Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I have stayed at the Familia Hotel. Its nothing fancy really, I would advise against the single rooms. The double rooms, facing the street are nice. Hotel was a bit small, bathrooms were fairly good sized. Tiny elevator. Location is outstanding, like 5 minute walk to notre dame. You can also check their sister hotel, i think its called Minerva, which is right down the street, it has one star more. I personally was happy with the double room facing the street,

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

by Flying.Scotsman Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Hotel le Vert Galant in the 13th near Butte aux Cailles is near the top of your price range but is a simple hotel with lots of character with rooms looking onto a courtyard garden. It is near 3 metro stations on a quiet street but near lots of cafés and restaurants. We stayed there for our 40th anniversary and found it just what we wanted: cosy, comfortable with friendly staff. They have their own website in several languages and they are on booking.com etc. Hope this helps. Bruce

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

by shrimp56 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM

A hotel we have used in Hotel des Mines. It's located in the 5th at 125, boulevard Saint Michel . The south exit of the Luxemburg RER B stop is a block away. You'll want an upper floor as you do feel the train. I've reviewed it here on VT. Here's their website. They are showing 113 euro per night for the at least 3 days rate and is cancelable up to 2 days before. http://www.hotel-desmines-paris.com/

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines