Paris Travel Answers

change location
Raimix's Profile Photo

Paris public transportation

by Raimix Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Hello :)

If I visit Paris for 6-7 days and stay all the time in Versailles how much I could expect to spend for public transportation? (I think I will be visiting Paris for everyday or will spend one day only in Versailles).

Is it better when to buy separate tickets or a week ticket? Is it possible to spend time and see places in Paris just walking, without public transportation (as in Berlin, Prague)?

Greetings and thank you,
Raimundas.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • bugulma's Profile Photo

Re: Paris public transportation

by bugulma Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 5:14 AM

I like walking around the cities, so my answer based on my experience in Paris is yes, it is possible to see the main sight seeings by walking (of course, if you're not planning to go inside of such museum like Louvre or Museum d'Orsey :-)).
    for transport, check www.ratp.fr

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 5:48 AM

the trip from Paris to Versailles is about 3,25 € per trip per person individual ticket. Within Paris zone 1 you can buy a carnet of 10 tickets for about 12,70€ which comes out cheaper then individual tickets and give you more freedom to just going in rather than stop at counter to buy a single ticket each time.

Walking is the best way to see a city and Paris is wonderful to walk its really a small city and all is within the center with a radius of 2 kms. you see everything of importance.

Staying in Versailles is wonderful,I used to lived there for almost 10 years and worked in Paris. Now in Brittany but visit often.
    Cheers

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Competely agree with Gwened, Paris is very walkable once in the centre. Montmartre and Sacré Coeur are the only places among the main sites you'll need to take the metro or the bus, unless you want to go out to the "off the beaten path" places such as the "Puces" flea market or the Pere-Lachaise cemetery.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 8:07 AM

January first the Metro carnet went up to 13.30 euros but it's still a bargain. You can also buy a carnet of 10 tickets from Versailles to Paris at a 20 percent discount. Be sure to keep the packets of tickets separate so you don't waste a Versailles ticket. Paris is very walkable so the two carnets will probably be all you need.

Enjoy Paris.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM

good info beausoleil, I can't keep track of all those rates hikes every year,and now even in summer they do it.

of course ,walking is better except going to Versailles lol! Unless they want to hike the old king louis road up D1O it does still reaches the castle.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Might take a while to walk that one gwened. ;^)

They've raised rates twice within 12 months on the Metro. That's a bit much. It is still a bargain and is a terrific system but if they raise prices too much more, people will stop using it and then the whole thing will fall apart. Once a year is okay and once every two years would be better. ;^)

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM

hehehe ::) well some hikers do it and the mini marathon paris versailles lol!!! tourist walking will be a nice day in the streets lol!!!

of course I am kidding poster, dont do it...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines