Paris Travel Answers

change location

metro

by superpop Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I know this may seem a silly question, but i do get confused when using the underground and metro. could you please tell me the best route to take from gare du nord to argentine, what changes i will have to make etc. any other information will be most welcome, thank you.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: metro

by leics Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM

The Metro is the Paris underground system.

If you use the route-planner in English on

ratp.fr/itineraires/en/ratp/...

it will give you detailed info in English about how to make the journey (with or without including buses), at the time of your choosing, with a choice of the fastest route, the one with fewest changes or the one with the least amount of walking.

My own choice would be to take Metro line 4 (direction Porte d'Orleans) to Chatelet then change to Line 1 (direction La Defense (Grande Arche) for Argentine. It should take around 30 minutes, all being well.

The lines and their directions are clearly signed within the Metro stations.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM

There is a neat interactive map. Click on your starting point and then on your ending point and it will route you. The nice thing about the interactive is that it will give you warnings about work on the lines. http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/

The underground is easier in some locations than others. Argentine is only served by one line so you don't have transfer options. However, that one line takes you right into the center of touristic Paris and you will learn to love it. You can go directly from Argentine to Place de la Concorde or the Louvre or the Hotel de Ville. It's a great metro line. They have been automating line 1 for a couple years but so far haven't interrupted service to do this.

If you go to the Metro web site and look around a little, there is an app for your mobile (cell phone) that might be useful if you plan to use it a lot.

Enjoy Paris.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM

well for a guy who prefers above ground, the metro de Paris is very easy, and well post it. It has directional panels and maps inside and it is best to ask for a map from the information desk in any station.
    the official metro,tram,bus for Paris and surrounding areas is already given above as RATP.

as to your question, go over passage ways of metro at gare du nord follow la Chapelle line 2 direction Porte Dauphine, and stop at Charles de Gaulle-Etoile, there take line 1 direction La Defense and stop at Argentine, but its only one station so might as well walk under the arc de triomphe to ave de la grande armée (not that you may want to cross the circle going all around the arch is great !)

hope it helps

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines