Paris Travel Answers

change location
EszterC's Profile Photo

Accommodation help please - mind boggled.

by EszterC Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Hi everyone,

Just trying to sort out some accommodation for myself and my husband for 4 nights we plan to spend in Paris in August this year. we are from New Zealand and our travel agent has recommended the below places. They all seem ok on Trip advisor, but then I wouldn't have a clue how much you can really trust those or not.

Anyone have any experience with these places? Or recommendations for something better at around same price range?
Citadine Montmartre
Citadines Bastille Marais
Jardins De Paris Montmarte

I've looked at a few of the Ibis/Holiday Inn options which also seem ok but a very mixed bag.

To be honest we don't mind a small room as long as its got a good bed..and we don't have to walk too far for everything.
How affordable are the metros over there if thats how you wanted to get around?

Advice is appreciated in advance :)
Thank you

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Accommodation help please - mind boggled.

by Beausoleil Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Hi. We haven't stayed in any of your hotels but for area I'd prefer the Bastille Marais. Personal preference. We usually stay in the 5th or 6th and prefer the 6th.

The Metro rates just went up the first of the year but they are still quite reasonable. A carnet of 10 tickets costs 13.30 euros, a 20% savings off the single-ticket price. There are various passes but nearly all are more expensive than the simple carnet of tickets. If you get a pass, each person in your party needs their own pass. If you get a carnet, you can share them round and they are good for a return trip when you come back. We quickly discovered that Paris is so pretty and so compact that we walk nearly everyplace.

Here is an explanation of all the passes and prices for the Metro and a direct link to the Metro web site. "Metro Passes and Prices" - Métro Tip by Beausoleil

If you look for a place with the postal code 75001, 75004, 75005, 75006, or 75007 you will be central enough to walk nearly everyplace you want to go. The exceptions are Versailles and Paris Disney and you can just buy separate tickets for those if you want to go. If I only had four days, I'd skip both and save them for a future trip.

Type Paris into the VT Search Window above and you can read Paris Travel Pages already written by VT members. There will be lots of photos, hotel and restaurant recommendations and outside web links to help your planning.

You can also click on the names of people who answer you here and check their Paris Travel Pages. It's early and given the time change, there will be a lot more answers for you within a few hours.

Enjoy Paris, my favorite city.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • aussirose's Profile Photo

by aussirose Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 11:32 PM

We stayed here and really liked it -
    Paris Hotel Tips by aussirose

I just loved Paris!! It has always been my dream! ... and I am sure you will too!!

I would have no hesitiation in staying again.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

by wise23girl Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I just love Hotel Saint Jaques...
    http://www.paris-hotel-stjaques.com
    it is a really old style French Hotel and you can walk to Notre Dame...see some photos....
    Hotel Saint- Jaques: "A Truely French Hotel" - Paris Hotel Tip by wise23girl

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

by tango_jd Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 12:28 AM

You'll get loads of hotel tips I am sure and my own Paris page is no exception.
    One thing i do recomend though, is to stay in the Latin Quarter near St Michel/Notre Dame or Luxumburg stations.
    The Latin Quarter is my favoutrite area because it has "life" and at night, when returning to your room you are not walking through boring dark street but those where the activity is still happening.
    Most importantly, (assuming you are flying to CDG airport) these stations are direct off Line B RER so not humping suitcases around the metro!

• penny_g's Profile Photo

by penny_g Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 1:33 AM

In my own opinion, the best place to stay in Paris in terms of price/quality are all the hotels from the Accord chain, especially the ones located in the north of Paris, just outside boulevard Peripherique. Those are Ibis budget, Formule1, Mercure, etc. It's true that they are not centrally located but they are close to a metro station which brings you wherever you want. Meanwhile they offer the best price in Paris and they're quite well furnished.

I know that it's something new on your list but just wanted to share my preference and maybe you might consider it, too.

• Re: Accommodation help please - mind boggled.

by arnelsr Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 4:11 AM

we stayed at the pullman hotel during our short stay there:

pullmanhotels.com/gb/hotel-7...

it's near the eiffel tower. there are many hopon-hopoff buses that stop at the eiffel tower, so you can use hopon hopoff buses to get around. u can buy tickets there also.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

by GentleSpirit Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 5:23 AM

I stayed at the Hotel Familia on Rue des Ecoles
    http://www.familiahotel.com/

If you get a double facing the street its simple, but comfortable.
    Location is super..maybe 5 minutes walk to Notre Dame,
    close to the subway and RER stations
    i enjoyed it, its a bit of a budget hotel, but it the location was wonderful

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

by tango_jd Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 6:09 AM

Yep - Rue Des Ecoles is our favourite location also.
    Hotel Moderne St Germain is a nice 3-star, as is the Hotel Quatier Latin.
    We've been to both.
    To be honest they all look ok there and it is a super spot to get to and from - not far from RER Line B as well as metros St Michel, Maubert Mutualite, and Cardinale Lemoine.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 8:04 AM

A good, clean, reasonable hotel in the Latin Quarter is hotelfrancequartierlatin.com... We stayed there recently and were very happy. We took the Roissybus from CDG and then the Metro on to the hotel. It's a block from Metro to hotel. Great location.

Have fun in Paris.

• EszterC's Profile Photo

by EszterC Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Thank you everyone. Sounds like the Latin quarter is the best (or at least one of the best) areas to stay in. will look at my options for there :)

• aussirose's Profile Photo

by aussirose Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 4:58 AM

Yes that is where we stayed in my tip above. A few other vt'ers stayed at the same hotel for the big Paris meet in 2011 and we all recommend it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines