Paris Travel Answers

change location

London-Orly Airport

by lallytaly Online Now Mar 9, 2012 at 2:18 AM

My first time to Paris with my hubby, 2 kids, parents. Can anybody help us with the details of London-Mercure Hotel in Orly Airport Paris? Do I need to book the train tickets in advance? Is it through Eurostar.com? How do I get from the main train station in Paris to Orly Airport? How long is this travel? What's the best time to leave London to arrive Orly Airport before dinner time? Is there anyplace close to the Mercure Orly Hotel to eat dinner? Thank you so much.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: London-Orly Airport

by gwened Online Now Mar 9, 2012 at 2:35 AM

yes book train ahead at Eurostar. then have the reservation at mercure hotel done,nice chain I use all over. You arrive in paris at gare du nord, then take the RER B3 to station Antony, there take the OrlyVal special train to the airport at Orly,dept 94 France.
    I believe the trip knowing the one to Paris, about 2h20 then it will take you about another hour, estimate to get to Orly.so plan for dinner. Mercure hotels have very nice restaurants on site; it is not a good area to eat out, it is not Paris.

hope it helps your planning

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: London-Orly Airport

by lallytaly Online Now Mar 9, 2012 at 2:46 AM

How do we go from Mercure Orly to Eiffel tower... If convenience is priority over budget, can I just rent a Minivan at the airport? Thank you.

• Re: London-Orly Airport

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 9, 2012 at 3:21 AM

The most convenient way to get around is the Metro. it also happens to be cheap, so you don't have to make a choice between convenience and economy.

As to getting to Orly from London. Since you are actually staying at an airport hotel (why if I may ask, if the object of your trip is to visit Paris) it might be a good idea to also look in to flights from London to Orly (but not to other airports).

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 9, 2012 at 5:46 AM

I can guide you with the minivan, and www.viamichelin.com helps but if first time in paris the driving is not for novice, I a road warrior here, but mindful its not a good idea for you.

You are in Orly, dept of Val de Marne, no 94, thats where the airport is, but is not Paris. So coming into Paris, is not the most convenient way as each time you will need to get the OrlyVal or the Air France buses into the city. I undertand there the hotels are cheaper than central Paris, but not convenient.

In fact dont recommend with a family to be out very late in that south part of Orly and up to Paris.

Once you reach Antony or denfert-rochereau on the RER train than you can use the Paris metro.It does not reach Orly.
    The public transport official site is www.ratp.fr
    Hope it helps

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 9, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Cheapest tickets for the Eurostar go on sale 120 days before, once the 1st tier of tickets are sold, the next price point kicks in. So don't wait to book them if you know your dates and budget is a concern. Eurostar.co.uk or eurostar.com is where you should buy them, Raileurope will also sell but I think they put in a profit for themselves. That being said, the 1st time I used it the 2nd class tickets were very expensive and I ended up finding a deal on raileurope for 1st class for less than 2nd class on eurostar. 1st class isn't necessary, I've done both now and both are comfortable enough for a 2 1/4 hour journey.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 9, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Oh and we've driven a couple of times in Paris, once dropping off a car at Gare du Nord and once quite by accident when we got lost, it is not something I would recommend. I don't know if they have taxi vans in Paris but I'd recommend a taxi over driving in the city regardless of the cost. Public transport is quite good as well but Orly is not the best located place to be to see Paris.

• Isa&Eric's Profile Photo

by Isa&Eric Online Now Mar 10, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Hi,
    I agree with gwened, Orly is not a convinient place to stay. There are only hotels and industrial zones. There are hotels closer to Paris in Kremlin Bicêtre by example which is a more animated area and just touching Paris. In Orly you will spend a lot of time in transportation to go to Paris.

Regards

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines