Paris Travel Answers

change location
Florida999's Profile Photo

Another Paris Hotel question

by Florida999 Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I still have yet to book a hotel in Paris. We were thinking about booking one at Versaille, but it costs almost as much as being in Paris directly.
My question: what is a reasonable price to expect for a fairly clean hotel room with a double bed for 2 people ( we will need 2 of those), in the area around most of the tourist attractions in July during the week?
There are thousands of hotels ( worse than Orlando!!) and when you go to some hotel booking website, none of the advertised room prices end up being what it really costs when I put my July dates in, so it is really hard to figure out what my expectations should be. In the U.S., we have never paid more than at the very most150 a night for a room with 2 double beds, in which all 4 of us could stay in, at a nice Holiday Inn somewhere. There seem to be no such rooms in Paris, so we will need 2. I don't want a nasty place with bedbugs and in a scary dirty area, would rather pay more, but don't know what costs are reasonable. Is 100 Euro a night per room for 2 people reasonable, or will this only get me bedbugs?

Quote & Answer
65 Answers
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

Re: Another Paris Hotel question

by Homanded Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I cannot answer for Paris in particular other than the fact that we researched it a while back when looking into combining it with Italy. All I can tell you is, be prepared for a sticker shock if you're expecting to pay USD as a comparison.
    In Italy, during July (peak time in Europe) some of the rooms we paid as little as USD69.00 or80.00/night for 2 people were as high as USD450.00/night!
    We only stayed in 3 star hotels. Even some of these 3 star hotels would've been questionable stars by US standards.
    Which websites are you using?
    We found venere.com and hotels.com to have the best rates for Italy, Spain and France.
    Again, keep in mind time of year you are planning to travel.
    For fun, do a double search...say your dates and then, using same criteria, December or January.
    I think you'll be shocked at the difference.

Homer

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I don't think bedbugs are quite the problem in European hotels that you anticipate. Nor should you worry about 'scary dirty' areas: you are unlikely to find or choose hotels in such areas, even if they exist.

However, 100 euro for a double room in Paris in the high season seems on the low side to me (for a 3* hotel).

I suggest you look at reliable sites such as www.booking.com to get a feel for what prices are like for the type of rooms you want in areas which appeal.

Rooms with two double beds are really not the norm in Europe. They are much more (possibly exclusively?) a US thing. 'Family rooms', however, with a double and one or two single beds, are quiet common in Europe. You might consider looking for those: they will be cheaper than 2 x double rooms.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Sophia, when in July and for how many nights (in case I see something)?

Leics is right about family rooms: the two-double rooms we're used to here are rare to virtually nonexistent in Europe.

• roberta2011's Profile Photo

by roberta2011 Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Hello,

Everyone has made good points here, but the other thing you need to consider is that the exchange rate between euros and dollars is not in your favor. It's sad, but true...so you will pay more than you think for a hotel room in Paris in the middle of summer, but you know what...you'll be In PARIS!!

Try this hotel...it is very conveniently located and usually fairly priced. It's clean, no bugs, and nothing is scary or dirty. You will not have the spaciousness of a standard American motel room, but you will be in PARIS so you will never be spending time there except to sleep and wash up. http://www.quaivoltaire.fr/

Good luck and you will have a fabulous time...Paris is just as amazing as you think it will be!

by goodfish Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

>when you go to some hotel booking website, none of the advertised room prices end up being what it really costs when I put my July dates in

I could be wrong but I'm thinking the advertised rates you see are for current off-season prices. Those raise significantly for high season and for holidays/special big events.

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I don't think bedbugs are exclusive to any particular rating of hotel! I can second booking.com as being reliable - the reviews can only be put in by people who have reserved through the site. I, too, would have thought that €100 per night was on the low side, in July. If you keep to central Paris you will be near enough to have easy access to most sites and you won't have to commute in and out - any saving on staying on the outskirts would probably be eaten up by trekking in and out.

Have you thought about an apartment? This can often work out to be more economical than a hotel, especially if you need two hotel rooms. It has the additional advantage of meaning that you can buy odds and ends for breakfast and have somewhere comfortable to go back to. We always rent an apartment if our stay is going to be five days or more. booking.com is a useful site - tick the apartment section. Also halldis.com and also venere.com

Two double beds is not the norm on the continent, although some times one can be surprised.

On the other hand, here in Peru, every hotel we have stayed in has had two double beds when we have booked a twin room! They also have had a sitting area. And a fridge.

I don't know whether you are two adults and two children or what combination thereof but when booking, you will need to state how many of what in the room - that is, if you find a room with two double beds. I would hunt for a chambre pour une famille, or words to that effect.

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Hotel in Paris use not to be cheap, maybe during November :(
    for 3* hotel I suggest to check if there's a lift as many times stair maybe narrows and it's not very pleasent to do them with luggage.
    As well 3* (or less) hotels in Paris have usually quite small rooms
    in July there's not so cold like these days in the morning, so check also if there's any boulangerie close to hotel and get only bed, quite a few times I found breakfast in hotel quite overpriced for what you get.
    For asame price is not worth to stay at Versaille.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM

If you use a *reliable* booking site such as booking.com or venere.com you will see *exactly* how much any particular room costs on your dates.

You will also, if you are looking now, be able to take advantage of the cheaper rates the hotels make available to those two sites at different times of year. The rooms on offer are limited in number at the rates you are given.

Of course rates fluctuate according to the time of year. July is high season, so you can expect highest rates to apply.

Walk-up rates in Europe, by the way, are almost always more expensive than pre-booked rates.

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

by Flying.Scotsman Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

As already advised, €100 is very low for a hotel room "in the area around most tourist attractions." First, Paris's main tourist attractions are spread out over a fairly large area. Second, the metro system is excellent, and makes it easy to travel around Paris so staying around the Champs Elysees, say, is not necessary. You can save money by staying near the Periphique, the highway that encloses the central arrondissements (districts) of Paris. We stayed at the Etap Paris La Villette, in the 19th Arrondissement. The hotel was modern, clean and close to 2 metro stations. The area is slightly shabby, but safe and very interesting. The price for 2 double rooms for early July is €114 (total). Look at the Accor Hotels for this and other hotels including Adagio hotels, which have suites suitable for 4 people. The prices though seem a bit higher than you were hoping for. Although 2 double bedded rooms are the exception in Europe, I checked booking.com and input 1 room for 4 people and came up with a number of rooms, some in your price range. Once you have come up with some hotels, check the ratings on the booking site, and on Virtual Tourist and Trip Advisor. Also, look at the hotel on Google Maps streetview. Let us know how you get along. Have a look at my Paris pages for some tips about what to see apart from the well known sites. Paris is an amazing city; hope you enjoy it. Bruce

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 2:52 PM

July and August can actually be cheaper in Paris than September (that I am trying to find). We've never met a bed bug in Paris so I don't think you need to worry about that. When you find something you like, check reviews at several sites. http://www.booking.com or http://www.tripadvisor.com or http://www.venere.com all have reviews.

100 euros a night per room is perfectly reasonable in Paris but you have to spend a bit of time looking. Here is a list of hotels under 100 euros in Paris that I've complied over the years. We've stayed in a few of them and others have been recommended by friends or here on Virtual Tourist. Budget hotels in Paris: "Cheap hotels do exist in Paris" - Paris Hotel Tip by Beausoleil

That said, we're favoring Hotel de la Place des Vosges in the Marais. We've stayed there a couple times and it is in a gorgeous area, near Metro and most tourist sights and is clean, friendly and very nice. Doubles start at 90 euros. hotelplacedesvosges.com/eng/...

Look at junior suites or family rooms if you all want to stay together. You'll find something; don't give up hope.

Enjoy your trip to my favorite city.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Maybe ten years ago you could have gotten a 2 star for 120E. However, most presentable 3's in Paris in July are going to be 155E per night, so you are up to about210 per room per night. I checked a few of my low/medium budget favs, (Hotel LOuvre Forum now the Crayon), Mercure in Montparnasse, and you are talking just over210 a night. That said, it seems like you also want to get 4 in a room, assuming two are kids. Unless the kids are very young, you will get dinged for an additional per person charge if you try to do four in a room. Karl

• Florida999's Profile Photo

by Florida999 Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Ok, so100 a night per room is not enough...oh well, I guess it will be the last time we will go to Paris, so I might as well get a decent hotel. We will probably spend 3 nights. I looked at some apartment rentals, but they don't rent for such a short time , or at least none I could find.
    What really gets me is that I have reserved a very nice vacation rental in Berchtesgaden for73 EU a night for all of us, 2 bedrooms, kitchen, bath and all, also in July. The lady didn't even ask for a deposit and offered to pick us up from the train station!
    I guess I am just not used to spending that sort of cash on a hotel. My daughter had better appreciate this...
    Oh, and for all of you pointing out cheaper seasons: my kids are not out of school long enough except in the summer. If they were, we would most likely be going to India and not Paris.
    I think I am going to just book a room at the Holiday Inn or Best Western and be done with it. It will have a\c , internet, and most likely be nice enough.

by Florida999 Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Beausoleil: I checked out the hotel you recommended ( des vogues or whatever) and it has a rather strange reservation form. They ask for your credit card number before they tell you how much the room will cost, and you have no way of asking for 2 rooms. I am not sure I trust this. But it does say "rooms from 90 EU". But, I am not giving anyone my credit card number unless they tell me how much I am going to pay total first.

by goodfish Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM

But Berchtesgaden, while lovely, isn't the summer top-10 destination that Paris is - like NYC, Rome, Prague, London, etc. Hotels in places people travel most often, during the months they travel most often, are at a premium. That's why they cost what they do. It's like going to the Grand Canyon in July.

• leanneedwards's Profile Photo

by leanneedwards Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Check out Paris35.com it has been mentioned before and has reasonable hotels..

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM

You can do an inquiry without putting in your credit card number. The necessary fields to fill in are marked with an asterisk.

I just e-mailed them; it's easier.

Good luck.

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 11, 2012 at 5:33 AM

I don't know where you are looking but I have just done a search on booking.com. I don't know your dates, so I did a couple of random searches for the second week and then the third-fourth week of July, asking for two rooms - and I come up with lots of choice in perfectly good hotels,in good areas, most with wifi. This was on booking.com. €100 is equal to about131. If you are planning to be in Paris over the 14th July, then this is Bastille Day and the prices will presumably be higher. Holiday Inn or Best Western does not necessarily mean the hotel is up to snuff. I have stayed in some vile HIs and BWs.......

by Florida999 Online Now Feb 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Beausoleil, thanks, I might get this one, if they have it available. One thing else I noticed, it does not say that is has a\c. If it's really hot in July, I don't want to sleep in a hotel without it.

by Florida999 Online Now Feb 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Lol, Kate, I told you , the Paris trip is mostly for my daughter. Berchtesgaden would be in MY top 10:-)
    But, yes, considering Paris is probably the top tourist destination on the planet I suppose I must accept to pay more. It's like90 Disney tickets, you can charge what you can get.
    I would just much rather spend that money on something other than a hotel.

by Florida999 Online Now Feb 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Checked out the Paris35.com, found lots of inexpensive places there, thanks! Now deciding on which one to pick....

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

by ForestqueenNYC Online Now Feb 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Can't guarantee that it wont be hot, but I have spent the last two summers here and the weather was perfect except for about 10 days. In fact, except for the brief hot spell, I never took the blanket off of my bed. Of course, the problem is that there is no way to predict if there will be hot days when you are here.

by leanneedwards Online Now Feb 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

The more central you can be the better!!!

by leanneedwards Online Now Feb 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM

On paris35 check out hotel Excelsior Latin Paris.. really great spot near Luxembourg gardens the Sorbonne and probably a 15 min. walk to Notre Dame.. the reviews on line are good from Trip Advisor any way.. sort of sparce Motel 6 I guess but Paris rentals are very minimualist unless you want to pay$$$$$$$$$$
    Hope this helps! Leanne

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 11, 2012 at 4:12 PM

We stayed at the Hotel de l'Esperance last September, the rooms are 85€-95€ per night. There were no bedbugs or mold or anything else unpleasant, I liked the location which was 5 minutes from the Rue Mouffetard and 5 minutes from a metro station. July is a popular time to visit and a lot of the more budget oriented hotels will book up, if you find one with a cancellation policy that someone has recommended you might want to book it just so you are sure to have something. I think this hotel might have made us put down a deposit...

hoteldelesperance.fr/hotel-p...

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Hotel de la Place des Vosges does not have air conditioning. We've been there in July and it was chilly enough we needed jackets. However, there have been some serious heat waves in July too. We've been lucky enough to miss them. It depends on the luck of the draw (weather always does) so if you really need air conditioning, go someplace else.

After the worst heat wave a few years ago many hotels started adding air conditioning . . . and more expensive hotels already had it. It will be listed on their web sites if they have it.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM

why what a hassle to find a hotel in Paris, lol!!! yes I hear July celebration month the equivalent of the 4th of July in the USA, so hotels book people move we have days off. Summer is arriving and vacations are planned and long here.
    the site I always give out is shown in previous comments above as www.paris35.com
    4 in a room should be ok, I do it all the time with my family heck push in 5 too ::) deal directly with hotel once you find a nice property you like. There is no bedbugs here dear, no dirty areas either ( I know what you mean come from same area ::))
    and all these hotels are under 100€ in Versailles, maybe in July they are higher,see Versailles tourist site below.
    versailles-tourisme.com/nc/h...
    cheval rouge is my nostalgic favorite there.
    hope it helps and relax.

by Florida999 Online Now Feb 13, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Gwened,
    thanks, that one looks pretty good, if we decide to stay at Versaille. I am starting to think staying in central Paris might be better after all, and just make a day trip to Versaille. We plan on spending 3 nights in Paris area.
    I tried booking that Ibis in Versaille first, but it was something like170 a night for in July.
    You've lived in Florida, tell me something, how uncomfortable can it get in Paris without A/C in July? None of my relatives have a/c ( in France or Germany) but it's not usually hot enough to bother us. We have been there in July when it was raining and cold lots of times. Paris shouldn't be much different, should it? I want the a/c on if it is above 85 degrees and humid...

by Florida999 Online Now Feb 13, 2012 at 4:44 AM

I think I found one that sounds ok in Paris ( off this website, it is listed as number 3 or something on tripadvisor: Hotel Eiffel Kennedy. Anyone been to that one? It's got a/c, is in the right location ( you can see the Eiffel tower from it), has good reviews and appears ok. Not cheap, but oh well, like I said, this will most likely be the last time we go to Paris, might as well splurge once.

by Florida999 Online Now Feb 13, 2012 at 4:50 AM

Kristy, yours looks good actually...I might do that one. Only thing I don't like is that it is further away from what we want to see ( the western part of Paris, and Versaille) but I suppose that isn't a huge problem. Hmmmm....I will have to figure out how much money it would save me.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 13, 2012 at 7:05 AM

yes most folks stay in Paris as they have more places to see, and then spent a day in Versailles. Eiffel Kennedy is a nice hotel too.
    they dont use AC because its cool most of the time. SOme years we have the canicule and it gets really hot, people fall off their windows, and drop dead on the street, really. Cant handle the heat.

Dont worry, the hotels in Paris are airy, and you will be out anyway.... I never had a problem adjusting from good ol'FLA.
    Cheers

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines