Paris Travel Answers

change location
Neilzonwheelz's Profile Photo

Paris from 28th Oct - 3rd Nov 2011

by Neilzonwheelz Online Now Jul 17, 2011 at 6:41 AM

I have deliberately decided to visit Paris on the cusp of winter hoping to discover more locals than tourists, fingers crossed!
I have the following questions;

Will there still be huge lines at major attractions?
Does anyone know where I may be able to find oil painting reproductions of Tamara de Lempicka works.

Thank you for any information.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Paris from 28th Oct - 3rd Nov 2011

by leics Online Now Jul 17, 2011 at 7:01 AM

Possibly not 'huge lines', but certainly queues. Probably still best to book tickets in advance online for anything which you really must see (and which offers the facility) and get there early for non-bookable sights/sites.

Paris is anyway a popular year-round destination (like London, Rome, Ametrdam etc) and remains intensely popular for short city breaks throughout the year because of both the numerous European budget airlines which serve it and the under-Channel Eurostar train from London. But I think there are always more far more Parisians than tourists in the city, even in August. :-)

Can't help with the paintings, sorry.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Jul 17, 2011 at 4:27 PM

There are always tourists in Paris. After vacations, the conventions start. There will be lines at the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay, but probably not long lines at the other attractions . . . except for the Eiffel Tower if you want to go up to the top.

If you use one of the Louvre entrances besides the main one at the Pei Pyramid, you will not have a line. There is one out by the Arc du Carrousel and another at the Lion's Gate that will have no line. Another entrance is down in the subway and there may be a short line but it will move quickly.

Going in the autumn, you may want to pack an umbrella and rain coat. Also remember days are shorter for sightseeing. On the positive side, it gets dark earlier so you can see Paris with lights. Gorgeous!

If you do a web search for Tamara de Lempicka, you will find a number of online galleries selling reproductions and even one (Soho) that will paint one to your order. I don't know of any galleries in Paris that sell them. Bonne chance.

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Jul 18, 2011 at 7:09 AM

If you want to meet locals and not tourists you shouldn't be visiting the major attractions. Get out to the 11th, 19th and 20th arrondissements (districts). Take a walk from Bastille through faubourg St. Antoine and then head n-e up rue de Charonne to the St. Blaise/rue Vitruve area.Then follow the rue des Pyrenees through Gambette to the streets between rue de Menilmontant and rue de Belleville. There you'll find local artisans still at work in the cobbled courtyards and alleyways and still find people who have lived in those same places for 60 years. But you won't find those locals at the Eiffel tower or the Louvre.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines