Paris Travel Answers

change location
kathymay1's Profile Photo

Metro help

by kathymay1 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I'm hoping for some pretty specific advice about the metro. I was on it once years ago and it was the worst travel day of my life. I seldom have a bad travel day so that's saying a lot! We are coming thru Paris with a tour but we are making one independent trip during a free day meeting someone at the Louvre. Here's what I'm looking for: Depart a hotel in Montmarte that is between Place de Clichy and Blanche metro stations and arriving at Palais Royal-Musee du Louvre. I'm really looking for Paris Metro for Dummies type information! I have looked at a few websites and got nowhere. One day I hope to actually spend some time in Paris and get comfortable with the metro but there is just no time this trip. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Quote & Answer
26 Answers
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

Re: Metro help

by ATLC Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Just print a map, it's really easy. For instance this one:
    media1.benoot.com/f/c/a/cart...

Get on metro at Place de Clichy direction Chatillon-Montrouge (that's the endstation of the light blue line).
    Change metros at metrostop Champs-Elysées Clemenceau.
    Take metro (dark yellow line, end station Chateau de Vincennes) and get off at Palais Royale-Musée du Louvre.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

To know which direction you are going, you always need to look at the end station of each line. Then you know you are going the right way.
    There are better metro maps on the internet. I just picked one quickly to help you. But google for metro map Paris and you can take your pick.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

by rexvaughan Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Looks to me like you get Metro line 13 at Pl de Clichy (direction Chattillon-Montrouge) about 5 stops to Champs Elysees) and change there to line 1 (direction Vincennes) and go about 3 stops to Palais Royal or Louvre. Are you meeting inside the Louvre? Do you need directions from the metro stop to the entrance?

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

by TexasDave Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM

You would take the #2 (blue) in the direction of Porte Dauphine, and get off at Charles de Gauille Etoile and transfer to the # 1 (yellow) line going towards Chateau de Vincennes but get off at Louvre.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Here is another link.

parisbytrain.com/files/2008/...

Basics: There are 14 Metro Lines. Line 1 to Line 14. On your trip you will use Line 13 and Line 1.

Get into the Metro at the Place de Clichy direction Chatillon-Montrouge. Get off 4 stops down at Champs-Elysees Clemenceau.

You will then transfer to Line 1 direction Chateau de Vincennes and take this 3 stops to Palais Royale-Musee du Louvre.

The signs are very well marked in the Metro and as long as you know the end station (direction) you will get on the Metro going in the right direction.

The map is cluttered, so what I did on our 2 trips was look at the map, write down the Line and direction along with where I wanted to get off and carried a copy of the map. Also once on the train try and take a seat where you can see the Line Map on the train itself.

3 members found this helpful

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 5:14 PM

TexasDave wrote:
    You would take the #2 (blue) in the direction of Porte Dauphine, and get off at Charles de Gauille Etoile and transfer to the # 1 (yellow) line going towards Chateau de Vincennes but get off at Louvre.

She could take this way, but it is a bit longer then using #13 and the #1 

1 member found this helpful

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM

The Paris Metro map looks complicated if you try to take the whole thing in but if you just focus on the lines you need to take, from your start point to the finish, and their correspondances (interchanges) it becomes very simple. Everything is well-signposted and it's just a matter of following the colour scheme. So don't stress it - keep it simple.

• Sinjoor's Profile Photo

by Sinjoor Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 6:56 PM

hello kathy,
    as ATLC stated ...from Plce de Clichy the line 13 due south, direction Chatillon-Montrouge. Four stops down the line is Champs Elysees-Clémenceau. There you change onto line 1 due east direction Chateau de Vincennes. Stay on this line for 3 stops and get off at Palais Royal Musee du Louvre. Both at the stations and in the trains the info is clearly marked. Depending on your time schedule you might opt for getting off at Champs Elysees-Clemenceau, surface and walk down Champs Elysees towards Place de la Concorde (with its obelisk). Looking back you'll have a stunning view towards the Arc de Triomph. At this point you can enter the Jardins des Tuileries, The Louvre's gardens and walk towards the Louvre itself. Whatever your choice , enjoy your stay in this beautiful city. Hopefully one day you'll have the time to stay longer and get acquainted with its metrosystem because it is in fact the fastest and easiest way to get around Paris.

3 members found this helpful

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Why are people making this confusing? The OP now has three different routes to take. Keep things simple and don't add further information when a question has already been answered.

• kathymay1's Profile Photo

by kathymay1 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Thank you all! I have taken a bunch of notes and am sure that with them we will manage very well. I AM trusting that there will be signs directing me into the Louvre once we are off the metro. We are meeting at the "reception desk for groups" level 2 in Napoleon Hall.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 8:44 PM

When you get there, pick up a free Metro map at any ticket desk. You usually don't even need to ask; just grab one. Use this to replace any map you already have because they extended 4 of the Metro lines the first of February so they have new ending stations and the old maps are useless. ATLC's directions in the first reply here are exactly what you need and those two lines have not changed so you're okay there.

When you are down in the tunnels, just keep looking for your end station on the wall signs and you will be fine. Don't feel rushed. If you miss a train, there will be another in just a few minutes. And if you feel truly lost, ask someone. Parisians are happy to help if you just ask.

If you wish, you can download and print the new Metro map at the following web site. Just scroll nearly to the bottom and click on Plan de Metro (in tiny letters) to download the newest map. ratp.fr/fr/ratp/c_23590/plan...

Enjoy Paris.

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Easiest way to get into the Louvre is directly from the Metro. Don't go above ground and get in the long line at the Pei Pyramid. Just follow signs to the Louvre entrance in the Metro and there shouldn't be much of a line at all. (Hate those lines!)

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I was just there at the Louvre 3 days ago. You seem OK with the information others posted. There are two stops that say 'Louvre.' You want the one that is Palais Royal--Louvre as this takes one right into the building, through security and on into what is called the Carrousel (many shops). There is a large, circular room with an information desk in the center. They will tell you exactly how to get to your meeting place.

The word, 'Sortie,' means exit and when you get off the Métro, follow that to get to wherever in Paris you are going. Many stops have quite a few numbered exits so that one reaches street level on the right side of the road. It sounds confusing, but you'll be fine. I was surprised how crowded the carriages are at all times of day and night. It's not quite like that in London.

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

by Flying.Scotsman Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Or you could walk. Using a mid point between the 2 stations to the Louvre, googlemaps makes it 2.5 kilometres, just over a mile and a half. With changes and waiting, taking the metro won't save that much time and the walk will allow you to see more and give you some exercize. And you won't worry about getting lost in the metro. Free Paris maps are available at hotels etc, but I always think it is a good idea to have a proper map before you travel. Enjoy Paris. Bruce

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:49 AM

I just would take bus 68 and not thinking about the metro at all.

No stairs to climb
    You see where you are going
    No transfers, one direct connection

PJ

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 4:29 AM

pieter_jan_v wrote:
    I just would take bus 68 and not thinking about the metro at all.

No stairs to climb You see where you are going No transfers, one direct connection

PJ

Ah yes, but the bus doesn't provide free entertainment. We had Middle East singing and saxophone men last week on the Metro. LOL!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:07 AM

the metro of paris is very easy to use, one of the easiest in the world. I worked in Paris, and avoided it, rather walk or took the bus, you see more of gorgeous Paris above ground ::)

the site http://www.ratp.fr help you play with all the options time, dates, mode of travel, and best way shortest way etc. if you insist.

The metro map is helpful as beausoleil suggested, don't use the ones by the dept stores is nothing, the best is at the airports, the leaflet is call

Aéroports de paris, Paris City & Transport map

now getting down to your question ::::: you can take line 13 at place de Clichy (direction Châtillon/Montrouge) and get off at Champs-Elysées Clemenceau, then take line 1 (direction château de Vincennes) to palais royal-Musée du Louvre.  You can  walk from the metro station C-E clemenceau to the louvre a wonderful walk of Paris along the ave topl de la concorde to rue de rivoli to louvre.

or you can take the bus, 81 from place de clichy to louvre,  here is the map of the route and you can make it bigger

ratp.fr/informer/pdf/oriente...

hope it helps

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Get a map and highlight the stations and transfer lines. Circle them and the directions that the train needs to go. Being. On that line, the only thing you need to worry about is which direction.

Cheers tommy x

• kathymof's Profile Photo

by kathymof Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Hi

here is an interactive map. You click on a station and it will show all lines for that station and then you hold down the SHIFT key and click on the station where you want to go and simply look for an intersection which is your transfer point.
    parismap.metro-passes.com/ma...

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Good map, Kathy. Some of the maps are outdated as of Feb., but this is the one on the Metro's own web site and is up to date. Four of the lines now have new stations at the end and that makes a big difference in direction. Very helpful.

BTW, the easiest way to check whether the map is updated or not is to look at Line #4. If it still has Porte d'Orleans as the terminus, it's the old one. The new one is Maire de Montrouge and it is labeled as opened in 2013.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM

yes I have said in another thread it open march 23 2013 extension of line 4 to mairie de Montrouge town in val de marne dept 94. The mayor rode it first, very happly fellow and I am sure the people that work there too...
    The metro website is the latest one.
    Cheers

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Right now, I'd trade our mayor for the one in Paris. He seems to have the people at heart.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 3:47 AM

hahaha well that is according to taste some here don't like the mayor for other reasons too. But folks are never happy, its diversity that counts. The grand water project linking Paris with all the rivers around it for 1,3B euros is stall pending EU help too lol!!! the waterways would be nice too ::)

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Many projects are stalled everyplace. It will be good when the economy starts to roll again. Housing construction is finally going again around here . . . now if we can get our high-speed rail project off the drawing board . . .

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM

yes indeed its my field finance so know it. hst will be something to cheer about in the US ::)

• Re: Metro help

by slmUSA Online Now Mar 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM

johngayton wrote:
    Why are people making this confusing? The OP now has three different routes to take. Keep things simple and don't add further information when a question has already been answered.

I really appreciate the extra information. As one poster stated, the maps were updated in February 2013: this is valuable information. It's not confusing, but clarification! I also appreciate the tip to use the underground entrance to the Louvre. Sometimes, more is better. 

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines