Paris Travel Answers

change location

Paris-Rome Overnight Train

by mustasa Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Hello again!
I am trying to book the Thello Paris-Rome overnight train and I think I missed the "smart" rate, only available ticket rate for now is the Flexi. Should I buy this now or is it possible that it can get cheaper again?
Thank you!
Catheirne

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Paris-Rome Overnight Train

by xymmot Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Buy now, don,t wait, better to have than have not. Savings ten euros

Cheers tommy x

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Paris-Rome Overnight Train

by WineBuffTraveller Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 11:57 PM

If you're trying to book for this week, next week, OR a busy Easter date, book now, it's unlikely to go down.

If you're looking way, way ahead, it's possible the cheapies aren't loaded yet.

Don't forget you can also travel from Paris to Rome by day, Paris to Milan from €29 at www.tgv-europe.com on the 07:49 or 10:50 departures (see video at youtube.com/watch?v=B09t_WJz... ), then allow an hour in Milan, then book Milan to Rome from €9 at www.trenitalia.com or www.italotreno.it

2 members found this helpful

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 6:16 AM

When are you taking this trip? I noticed last year that those Super Saver rates seemed to disappear for a day or two and then come back. I wouldn't wait too long especially when you are going might be a high travel time or period. We didn't take any over night trains or any trains longer then 3 hours, so I'm not sure how soon the overnight trains might book up.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by mustasa Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Hi! Mlast week of May... is this peak season? its quite expensive at 444Eu for the cabin for 4 vs 220 I expected to pay for.. But of course if I missed it then ill have to settle with this high price :-(

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 6:49 AM

The last long post of mine has disappeared.??????
    answer again and not in detail....Night time is better to see the sunset on the bay and most people wait for that moment to go. Quite frankly I think the prison is a tourist trap that shows empty cells and old toilets. The picture is one of the last prisoner from Alcatraz and the sign when you enter. You must enlarge them to read them. I have others that include the toilet and the cells, but I did not see the point since you are going there anyway.

cheers tommy x

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 6:51 AM

mustasa wrote:
    Hi! Mlast week of May... is this peak season? its quite expensive at 444Eu for the cabin for 4 vs 220 I expected to pay for.. But of course if I missed it then ill have to settle with this high price :-(

Wow, that is high!  End of May is probably tending toward peak season.  We did the trip from Paris to Rome on May 1 last year.  We took EasyJet Airline from Paris Orly to Rome.  You might want to check EasyJet out.  We took them between Paris and Rome, Milan and Barcelona and Barcelona and London on our trip last year and had great experiences.  Low cost airline, but on time or ahead of schedule on all 3 of our flights.  They will charge for everything, but if you are smart (pack light) you can get some very good prices.  And it is obviously a lot quicker then airlines. 

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:45 AM

you have sale days, so take it now
    https://www.thello.com/

hope it helps

by janejane1 Online Now Nov 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Do not even bother with Thello! Take another means of transport.

Thello do not know how to communicate and seem happy to cancel trains without notifying passengers prior to the trains expected departure time.

The cabins smell like ***. The staff are rude. The toilets are disgusting. The bed springs stick out and stab into your back. Oh and the train screeches unbearably loud against the tracks unlike any other train we travelled on in Europe (and we took a lot of trains).

If you want a nice overnight train experience, do it with the Swiss! That is freaking amazing!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Nov 24, 2013 at 4:46 AM

good opening statement janejane1 ,now would you be so kind to write a tip about it in your perso pages here.
    thanks

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines