Paris Travel Answers

change location

Paris Apartment for 3 nights

by mustasa Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Hi! I will be in Paris with my husband and 2 children (12yo&8yo) from May 18-21. This is our first time with the kids, I would like to ask for recommendations on the best area to stay in (or if you can recommend of any apartments for rent) if we want to be in the center of the places we want to go to namely, louvre, notredame, seine river, eiffel tower. I know these are all super far from each other, but I am hoping an expert of Paris can tell me the best area where we can enjoy walking to the sites. And a grocery nearby. SOrry for being vague as I am really clueless as where to begin!! Thank you in advance!!
Catherine

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Re: Paris Apartment for 3 nights

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM

It sounds to me like the Latin Quartier or St Germain des Pres would be perfect for you. I have booked an apartment later this year in St Germain des Pres through the following agent:

parisapartmentsbynumbers.com...

The apartments are very well located and seem to be of a good quality. So far in dealing with them I have had no problems at all. By the way I have booked the one that is coded STGER22, it would suit you very well, not only for facilities but also for location. You could walk to many of the Paris attractions from there.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Paris Apartment for 3 nights

by mustasa Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Maryimelda wrote:
    It sounds to me like the Latin Quartier or St Germain des Pres would be perfect for you. I have booked an apartment later this year in St Germain des Pres through the following agent:

parisapartmentsbynumbers.com...

The apartments are very well located and seem to be of a good quality. So far in dealing with them I have had no problems at all. By the way I have booked the one that is coded STGER22, it would suit you very well, not only for facilities but also for location. You could walk to many of the Paris attractions from there.

Thank you very much! Im checking the site now :-) 

• lnrs's Profile Photo

by lnrs Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Two adult members of my family travelling with three children stayed in a very convenient apartment on the Louvre-Palais Royal area (1st arrondissement). They rented it through Paris Attitude: http://www.parisattitude.com . They found the area vibrant and very safe as well as surprisingly quiet at night.

They were truly in the center of the places they wanted to go and could walk to almost every place of interest. In addition, there were tourism offices, coffees, various shops, pharmacies, banks, restaurants and a small grocery ("superette") in the immediate vicinity of the apartment.

The owner of the apartment was a very friendly and helpful gentleman and explained the apartment to them, besides giving them some useful tips where and how to go, etc.

Good luck!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Bookmark

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Sinjoor's Profile Photo

by Sinjoor Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

hello Catherine,
    this just came up here on VT a few days ago. I checked out the location on google earth and seems like a really nice street. And it is within walking distance from such places as The notre dame , the louvre etc ...
    breaks-in-paris.com/the%20ap...

The best way to get from one place to another in Paris is the metro. that way your kids won't have to walk exstensive distances. It's very easy once you get the hang of it. Ofcourse you don't see anything of what's above ground. If you want that , a good alternative is to take the bus. My wife and I were there on our "engagement honeymoon" three years ago and used both alternatives. And we walked from the entrance of the Louvre through the museum (above ground) and the Tuileries Gardens to Place de la concorde from where you have a magnificent view down Champs Elysees towards Arc de Triomph. There's lots more to see obviously, so have fun

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM

You want to see the "louvre, notre dame, seine river, eiffel tower." Except for the Eiffel Tower, these are easily within walking distance. You want to stay in the center of Paris and that's a great idea. We always do because we like to walk as many places as possible. You can walk to the tower too, but an 8-year-old might get tired. Take the bus, the Metro or for a change, the Batobus, a bus on a boat along the Seine. There's a boat stop right at the tower. batobus.com/english/index.ht...

We actually prefer hotels in Paris but did once get an apartment when our daughters were with us. We used Paris Attitude and you have their web site above. For more choices type Paris apartments into the VT search window above and pull the little arrow tab beside the word Destinations down to Keywords to do a general search. There are lots of good apt. Agencies recommended here on VT.

I think you'll be happy to discover that Paris is pretty compact and many tourist sites are within walking distance. For places to stay, things to do, restaurants, fun for kids, photos and external web links, type Paris into the Search Window and check member Travel Pages. You can also click on the names of people who answer you here to go to their Home Page where you can then check their Travel Pages on Paris. It's a great resource here on VT and lots of fun.

Enjoy Paris.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 1:33 AM

maryamelda , Kate enjoy your Paris vacation!

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Just agreeing that Latin Quartier or St Germain des Pres are great areas: lively, central and lots of cafes and shops nearby.

As Sally mentioned, almost all the attractions you have on your list are easy walking distances from each other (Notre Dame and the Louvre are right by the river) and you may hop a metro to the Eiffel if you wish - although that is a nice walk as well. Buy a carnet (book) of 10 metro/bus tickets at one of the stations and share them among you.

Walking is absolutely the very best way to see Paris as you'd miss a lot if taking public transit from location to location.

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

by Flying.Scotsman Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM

In addition to hotels and apartments you could also consider suite hotels / aparthotels such as Citadines or Adagio and Suite Novotel (the last 2 part of the Accor hotel group). When looking for a place check the postcode. If it is 750018 then it is in the 18th arrondissement (district). Although many sights are far apart 3 of the 4 you mention (not the Eiffel Tower) are quite close. The 20 arrondssements (where most things to see are located) are all within the periphique (circular road). This area measures about 10km by 12 km so isn't that big an area. Have a look at the map on my page "Downtown Paris" - Paris Off The Beaten Path Tip by Flying.Scotsman which gives an idea where each district is located. Postcodes of hotels in this area will be between 75001 and 75020. For a short stay you are probably best to stay in the inner districts such as the 5th and 6th on the Left Bank. These are often cheaper than those in the Marais or other areas in districts 1 to 4. Hope this helps and gives an idea of where things are when looking at hotel recommendations you have received. Enjoy Paris, our favourite city. Bruce

by mustasa Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Flying.Scotsman wrote:
    In addition to hotels and apartments you could also consider suite hotels / aparthotels such as Citadines or Adagio and Suite Novotel (the last 2 part of the Accor hotel group). When looking for a place check the postcode. If it is 750018 then it is in the 18th arrondissement (district). Although many sights are far apart 3 of the 4 you mention (not the Eiffel Tower) are quite close. The 20 arrondssements (where most things to see are located) are all within the periphique (circular road). This area measures about 10km by 12 km so isn't that big an area. Have a look at the map on my page "Downtown Paris" - Paris Off The Beaten Path Tip by Flying.Scotsman which gives an idea where each district is located. Postcodes of hotels in this area will be between 75001 and 75020. For a short stay you are probably best to stay in the inner districts such as the 5th and 6th on the Left Bank. These are often cheaper than those in the Marais or other areas in districts 1 to 4. Hope this helps and gives an idea of where things are when looking at hotel recommendations you have received. Enjoy Paris, our favourite city. Bruce

Thank you for the tip Bruce! CHecking out your page now... my only concern in staying in a hotel is that I will have to get 2 rooms to accomodate my 2 children :-( I actually prefer a hotel room (esp like the citadine with a kitchenette)

• lovina's Profile Photo

by lovina Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:11 AM

I'n in Paris right now with my wife and have booked via airbnb.com and found a nice and interesting flat. My second experience with airbnb.com
    and I could recommend this site for finding a flat to live, instead of an hotel room, in most places in the world.
    Just filter the search for an entire apartment/house and read through the recommendations. Carefully, I think it is important. Also look carefully through the photos to better understanf what you are booking.
    I hope you will be able to find a nice place for your family!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:28 AM

you have my favorite place over the years
    www.homelidays.com
    or the Paris expat magazine with good apartment ads, all reliable use by those that lives here too for visitors and family visits
    www.fusac.fr
    hope it helps

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:31 AM

ahh the local take is to indulge in new areas but most reading the travel books stayed by the marais area of Paris, veery touristic. grocery stores are all over see Franprix for good selections.there will be one near your location.
    http://www.parismarais.com/map/uk.php
    plenty there by locals like me
    hope it helps

by mustasa Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:57 AM

lovina wrote:
    I'n in Paris right now with my wife and have booked via airbnb.com and found a nice and interesting flat. My second experience with airbnb.com and I could recommend this site for finding a flat to live, instead of an hotel room, in most places in the world. Just filter the search for an entire apartment/house and read through the recommendations. Carefully, I think it is important. Also look carefully through the photos to better understanf what you are booking. I hope you will be able to find a nice place for your family!

Thanks for the tip! I am liking the site! Ive sent messages to some flats i am eyeing already, awaiting their replies..  do you mind sharing your flat, even after your stay so as not to compromise your security :-) and give me feedback on how you like it.  Thanks you and hope youre enjoying your stay there!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines