Paris Travel Answers

change location
lovina's Profile Photo

REAL SECRET tips for Paris for next long week-end (Fri 22 to Monday 26) ?

by lovina Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:47 AM

We are staying in Arrondissement 5 Quartier Latin not too far from Rue Mouffetard
Main interests::
Photography events
Food:
- repas-fromage = different cheese in sequence accompanied by different wines
- plateau de fruits de mer
Drinks:
- Apéro bars, bar au vins
Thanks,
Mauro

Quote & Answer
25 Answers
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Re: REAL SECRET tips for Paris for next long week-end (Fri 22 to Monday 26) ?

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 7:02 AM

If you haven't bothered to read the tips you were given yesterday.........

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lovina's Profile Photo

by lovina Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 7:08 AM

I did see a reply that came in very quickly, but then when I looked later for the reply I could not find any longer my post, nor the interesting tips unfortunately.
    I enquired VT and they told me they have canceled my post.
    This because I have originally mentioned my wife photography site (no advertisment allowed).
    That's why I posted the question once again today.
    Thanks and regards.
    Mauro

• Re: REAL SECRET tips for Paris for next long week-end (Fri 22 to Monday 26) ?

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 7:55 AM

This is true - I tried to reply and arrived in "nowheresville" or whatever they call it on VT - I thought maybe the photos were kinky!! so you can reply again - My reply might not interest you, but in Travel and Leisure 2010 I(in my housesit in Guatemala!) found something near you - (and also a lot of suggestions more in your line on "Secret Places" now no longer very secret! - up in Montmartre, Canal St Martin, let me know if that is not too far to go: I will mention Quedebon in the 19th, La Verre Vole, Canal SM, La Muse Vin in the 11th) - that interested me - next to the Jardin des Plantes La Mosquee has a "charming" restaurant with "so so couscous and excellent mint tea and pastries" (yummy) - it sounds nice, with a "kaleidoscope of traditional Algerian tile" that "opens onto a wide patio" - Maybe some VT readers have actually been to these places and cah help you? have fun, Jean

1 member found this helpful

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 8:19 AM

March 23 is the first ringing of the new bells of Notre Dame. That is historic although certainly not a secret. It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

I assume you know about the rue Mouffetard market near where you are staying . . . again, no secret but lots of cheeses to try.

Enjoy Paris.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

by rexvaughan Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Also, on Sunday mornings rue Mouffetard is a beehive of activity. Music, singing and dancing start at 11:00. There will be tourists there,of course, but a lot of locals come for it as well.

2 members found this helpful

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM

yes indeed beausoleil mentioned the bells of notre dame on march 23 I will be there leaving tom lol!! the question is rather broad so much to do and see in Paris and food is all over good.the tourist office puts out info on all events in Paris and in English so there are two

en.parisinfo.com/shows-exhib...

you have tastings of cheeses and wines at O-chateau

http://www.o-chateau.com/

bar au vins are hundreds all over, here are many where i write critiques in French

cityvox.fr/restaurants_paris...

hope it helps your planning

2 members found this helpful

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Beausoleil wrote:
    March 23 is the first ringing of the new bells of Notre Dame. That is historic although certainly not a secret. It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

I assume you know about the rue Mouffetard market near where you are staying . . . again, no secret but lots of cheeses to try.

Enjoy Paris.

Oh, I had forgotten about that! As a Dutch bell ringer I am proud to say that the largest new bell in the Notre Dame was cast in The Netherlands... :-)

As for secrets.... the secret is to walk and walk till you drop... explore and find your own secrets... there may be a good few tips from us but you can't have it all laid out, there's no fun... explore !

Do you still have my recommendation for that restaurant called Frenchie?

• lovina's Profile Photo

by lovina Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Ah, that was you :-) !!
    Thank you, but no, I have completely lost my original post and the first (your) answer that came in!
    I have looked for them probably in the evening, or the next day but could not find anything any longer.
    After investigations with Giampiero and the other VTs I received a mail informing they have deleted my post due to advertisment, as I have indicated my wife photography website.
    So I reworded and reposted my answer.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Here it is again:

Frenchie is known for its affordable menu and casually correct food.
    Chef Grégory Marchand spent most of his career working at Jamie Oliver's 15 in London, where his nickname Frenchie was born, and at Gramercy Tavern in New York.
    Address: 5 Rue du Nil, 75002 Paris, France

travelchannel.com/tv-shows/a...
    Other clips on Bourdain's Paris trips may give you some more foody secrets.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM

ATLC, I've bookmarked Frenchies for a future trip.

gwened, I'm so jealous. Can you do a video of the ND bells and post it on VT?

Have a great time listening!

• lovina's Profile Photo

by lovina Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Walked until i dropped yesterday !
    Long day starting from home in Lugano at 6am.
    Walked through Quartier Latin, Mouffetard, Gobelins and more to come back in the evening for a rest before chosing a restaurant.
    Leaving the flat I saw an interesting resto just next door and tired we were we ended up reserving a place there at 9.30
    GREAT experience, really!
    L'Agrume,,,
    Not really a secret I guess,as it is in 91 position out of 9130 restos in Paris Tripadvisos, but it was full of local people and the Menu Degusation (40 €) was really terrific!!! To be enjoyed with closed eyes, with all senses.

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 5:51 AM

Glad it worked out for you - those places I gave you were all wine places - maybe worth a try?

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 6:31 AM

I don't think there were many locals paying 4O€ a pop.....

• lovina's Profile Photo

by lovina Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Locals, locals, everyone! We were the only ones non-local.

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM

40 euros is a normal, even reasonable. price to pay for a decent meal on a weekend night out - I dont get the comment - and that is an upscale neighborhood after all - costs a fortune to live there - So...I believe Lovina - I even opened up my Travel and Leisure again for him - Sunday can be quite dull in France, it says that the shops in the Marais, which is beautiful anyway, are open on Sunday and that there are cool thrift shops like the Free'P'Star - something for the lady....I will pass on the bistronomy advice - He recommends the Astier in the 11th - especially for the cheese and wine you like - 44 Rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud - sounds frlendly too - might do the trick - Further along he mentions Le Bouchon et L'Assiette, in the 17th, 127 Rue Cardinet, for darn good food; he likes the food also at La Regalade in the 14th, closer to you, 49 Ave Jean Moulin...voila some choices - hope you have a good evening and Sunday - Jean

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Jean I'm sorry to say I don't think you know what you are talking about, 40€ - normal!!!! There are plenty of restaurants around for just over half the price and as for it being an upscale n'hood. Mouffetard, you've got to be joking......

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Well, it was a Menu Dégustation and it had better be good and at least 3 courses... then I think 40 euro is at the higher end of reasonable :-)

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM

But he wanted a GOOD restaurant - and the cinquieme and sixieme - come on, they are among the most priciest in Paris!

• lovina's Profile Photo

by lovina Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:35 PM

It was a 5 courses menu.
    I checked in internet and L'Agrume is rated in Tripadvisor at place 61 out of 9130 restaurant in Paris!
    Please go and read the many recommendation and you will understand.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM

lovina wrote:
    It was a 5 courses menu. I checked in internet and L'Agrume is rated in Tripadvisor at place 61 out of 9130 restaurant in Paris! Please go and read the many recommendation and you will understand.

Don't mind us, lovina :-) We will be helpful, give tips and also discuss and disagree vehemently! Anyway, do please write a Restaurant tip about your experience and put in the address info and everything else. Next time someone else asks for a good restaurant, you can give YOUR advice too!

Glad you ate well. It's one of life's delights.

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:56 AM

OK, it was a 5 course meal, then I agree 40€ is alright, but it's an exageration to say that it is normal for the area, it is not.. There are literally dozens of little restos in the area ( you might not like Greek or Maghrebin food) including French ones that are far cheaper. The "real" locals go to these, as whatever you say about locals, the ones that live in the area do not go out and pay 40€ for a meal

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:07 AM

well just back from my working beloved paris. I must say 40€ is ok for Paris, depends on how foodie you are; but of course there is a price for everyone lower or higher in Paris lol!!!

Beausoleil, I am terrible for photos and videos, photos have improve ,videos don't take any. But the bells were great as is it Notre Dame in its 850th birthday !!! Rather it was VT who got me into all these photos taken scheme, need to be more tourist next time..cheers

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM

- repas-fromage = different cheese in sequence accompanied by different wines
    - plateau de fruits de mer

This is deemed a special experience ??

You have given the indicator for Mouffetard, now look at the 16th,17th or the 8th; You'll find that an average of 10000€ is not that upscale. My wife and I sold a 32m2 studio in rue Cochin, still in the 5th but closer to the river (300 metres from Notre Dame) 30 months ago for 305k€ so things haven't moved on that much.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM

"- repas-fromage = different cheese in sequence accompanied by different wines - plateau de fruits de mer"

Yes, for a non-French person who enjoys culinary delights, this is a special experience. I've eaten such meals in France countless times because I can't have them in my own country. My country is also famed for its great seafood but the whole experience of a plateau fruits de mer is just something they do best in France (to be honest, I prefer such a platter along the coast in Normandy or Bretagne).

As for cheeses: years ago I fell in love with a Marc de Bourgogne drenched red crust cheese called Soumaintrain. I can buy it in my country but it is never the correct ripeness, flavour or taste as when sitting on a terrace in Burgundy (Bailly, to be exact), along a softly flowing river, with a glass of white wine, mulling over the excellent lunch I've just enjoyed.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I have said my share,and its enough to stop the overaction of one. I am sorry to the original poster from taking over his question. If you need to know about France let me know in another manner such as vtmail.
    cheers

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines