Paris Travel Answers

change location
Ines_'s Profile Photo

4 months apartment rental

by Ines_ Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Hi VT'ers

I'm going to do Erasmus in Paris and I wanted to find out if you know a good and trustworthy site to rent an apartment there or if you know someone with apartments, studios... to rent (for 2 people from late August to middle of December)

Thank you :)

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Kaaskop85's Profile Photo

Re: 4 months apartment rental

by Kaaskop85 Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

For renting apartments I always use Airbnb, although I never rented something for longer than two weeks. In Paris I stayed in this apartment which was very nice for a city trip https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/148753

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM

We've used Paris Attitude and loved our apartment, but there is an agency fee for rentals over 30 days so keep that in mind as you look at places. http://www.parisattitude.com/

You can type Paris apartments into the VT Search Window above and do a Keyword Search to find many different recommended apartment agencies in Paris. Several of our members have lived in Paris for months at a time so will have excellent recommendations in their pages. Check to rental time limits and agency fees as you look through these.

Good luck and enjoy Paris.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Ines_ wrote:
    Hi VT'ers

I'm going to do Erasmus in Paris and I wanted to find out if you know a good and trustworthy site to rent an apartment there or if you know someone with apartments, studios... to rent (for 2 people from late August to middle of December)

Thank you :)

After some extensive investigation, we finally found a great apartment at FEELPARIS.

They do have apartments available for long term rentals

1 member found this helpful

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM

lynnehamman wrote:

After some extensive investigation, we finally found a great apartment at FEELPARIS.

They do have apartments available for long term rentals

Sorry forgot to add the link

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM

lynnehamman wrote:

Sorry forgot to add the link

Darn- won't accept link- Just Google FEELPARIS studio apartments

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM

We've used homeaway.com and vrbo.com in different cities around the world (including Paris) with success. You should find some long term options available. Be sure to read the reviews. Enjoy Paris!

• Sinjoor's Profile Photo

by Sinjoor Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM

as it happens a few day ago this appeared on VT. Might be interesting but you'll have to check availability
    breaks-in-paris.com/the%20ap...

• Re: 4 months apartment rental

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Hmmm - there is always craigslist too, that I always recommend - there are a ton of announcements - with caveats - You are probably intelligent enough to discern the scams, they are pretty obvious (to me) - for instance I just flagged something vague and unrealistic for "Paris City' - huh? There was a good warning put out, I copied it - although I am not sure of her 50% - that is exaggerated - but it is still a very good resource that I have used often - Here is the warning:Ca. 50% of the ads in this section are scams: they are out to get you to send monies, get nothing in return and be unable to trace them and have them sued. This is a fact, and you should be quite careful (some ads are quite real, and even cheap by market value, but be sure to make the difference).

The text of these scams is usually the result of a cut-and-paste theft of real ads published here or elsewhere, with a much lower advertised rent so as to attract victims. Search for some of the characteristic phrases of their ad in Google and you'll be surprised to see the same ad all over the world.

Some ads are crafted by these scammers, but they don't know Paris and provide absurd details about closeness of sites which are actually at the opposite of the city: take a few minutes to check the "arrondissement" and any reference they give to landmarks. If they don't give any (to be on the safe side), and the ad looks bland and/or generic, it is also likely to be a scam. This, and their recognizable haphazard grammar, spelling and punctuation make it easier to identify with a higher degree of plausibility.

If the "owner" tells you s/he happens to be away from Paris, or "about to leave tonight unexpectedly", or any other such story, beware. They may even give you a phone number in the UK, usually starting with +44 70...: this is likely to be a redirect to the Benin or Nigeria (such redirect numbers are also available in the US). French phone numbers are safer.

If they ask you to wire money in order to see the place, ignore it.

If you are abroad and can't see the place - as is the case with many here - DON'T EVER wire a deposit to ANYTHING ELSE THAN A FRENCH BANK ACCOUNT: it is identified by an IBAN number starting with "FR", and can be traced to a real person by the police if need be. Any other means - including the infamous Western Union but also Paypal or any other "international" anonymous system - is likely to be a scam.

PS from Jean - a lot of people use paypal and you can be protected by it, so I think that she is exaggerating here too - but it is not bad advice....

• Ines_'s Profile Photo

by Ines_ Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 5:54 AM

Thank you all for the replies!! They were really helpful :)

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM

if you go Erasmus they will give some direction. They work with L'étudiant here
    letudiant.fr/loisirsvie-prat...

You can look in the paris expats magazine in English at
    www.fusac.fr
    those there have been doing it for years here.

Hope it helps

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines