Paris Travel Answers

change location
Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Taxis in Paris

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM

What is the best way to transport 3 adults and 2 very small children by taxi in Paris please? Will the taxis only take four people? Do they have what we in Australia call Maxi Taxis ( mini buses that seat 5-9 people)? Thanks for your help.

Quote & Answer
17 Answers
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Re: Taxis in Paris

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 3:35 AM

You won't find too many of  those people carriers Kate, but there are plenty of good sized cars about. Two children under 8 count for 1 person, so it'll be a matter of finding the nice driver that'll take you, knowing that in Paris a driver can refuse someone sitting next to him in the front (or inebriated.......)

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Paul, can you call a taxi service and request a van? Also, I thought small children needed to be in child seats do how does this apply to taxis? Just curious as it may affect this poster.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 8:03 AM

This is what the Highway Code says :

Article R.412-1 of the French Highway Code states that the use of an approved child restraint system is not obligatory for a passenger under 13 years of age travelling in a taxi, in a chauffeur-driven vehicle or any other vehicle used for public overland passenger transport, or in a public transport vehicle. Therefore, a person accompanying a child under 13 years cannot insist that a taxi driver be equipped with an adaptable seat for the transport of children. Similarly, a taxi driver cannot refuse to accept a passenger accompanied by a child under 13 years of age, on the grounds that he does not have an approved child restraint system at his immediate disposal.
    Most taxis in Paris are private cars, although there are 1 or 2 large firms that may have vans. Here is the largest of those (for whom I worked many moons ago)

www.taxisg7.fr/

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

by Dymphna1 Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM

You might consider the metro in Paris. It is well run and goes all over the city. It will cost you far less than a taxi.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM

There is another consideration to take the metro. You might get caught up in traffic in a taxi. If you need to be somewhere on time, metro is a safer bet (I say after a nerve racking, teeth grinding half hour in a taxi between two stations, trying to catch the TGV --- never again!).

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Thank you Paul. I knew you'd come through. ;^)

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Kate, I know you've been to Paris many times and are familiar with the Metro. Is there some reason you don't want to use it for this trip? Seems like it would be cheaper and nearly as easy . . . depending on where you want to go and when, of course. Since you know the system, I'm thinking you probably have a good reason. ;^)

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Dymphna1 wrote:
    You might consider the metro in Paris. It is well run and goes all over the city. It will cost you far less than a taxi.

Hi Dymphna, I am well versed in the Metro system having used it myself on many trips to Paris.  My problem is that I would rather not have to negotiate the turnstiles and steps in the Metro stations with two toddlers and a stroller.  This is in addition to the fact that I now have severe mobility issues and would prefer not to have to negotiate the steps myself.  I fully realise that many metro stations have elevators but not all of them do.  We will be able to use the buses for some of our activities but there are times when it would be good to simply take a taxi, hence my question.  Thanks for your interest.

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Beausoleil wrote:
    Kate, I know you've been to Paris many times and are familiar with the Metro. Is there some reason you don't want to use it for this trip? Seems like it would be cheaper and nearly as easy . . . depending on where you want to go and when, of course. Since you know the system, I'm thinking you probably have a good reason. ;^)

Thanks Sally, you are absolutely correct.  I think I have explained my problems in my reply to Dymphna above.  I certainly don't intend to travel everywhere by taxi, but there will be times over the course of the week that  we will be there, that it will be more convenient to take a taxi.  For instance, I would like to take the family to see the light show at the ET but that will be after the children's bedtime so I don't fancy battling the Metro to get them back to the apartment to bed.  I want it to be a happy time not an arduous chore.   

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM

The stroller would be enough to keep me above ground.

BTW, those Metro stops with elevators don't always have working elevators. It wasn't working when we were at Abbesses Metro so we climbed the 200+ steps passing a gasping French women years younger than I. I was surprised I made it with only one stop . . . ostensibly to admire the art. I've studiously avoided Abbesses ever since.

Hope you all have a grand time.

1 member found this helpful

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 10:05 AM

you can get personalise taxi service for that many people, G7 folks now have a share service to move people around and they do all for you ,
    its call WECAB ,more on my pages
    Paris Transportation Tips by gwened

hope it helps

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

by Dymphna1 Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM

If you are dealing with a stroller, I have to agree about finding lifts there. More than once I have seen people struggle with them. I have turned around and lifted the front end of one for someone else many a time.

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 4:21 PM

gwened wrote:
    you can get personalise taxi service for that many people, G7 folks now have a share service to move people around and they do all for you , its call WECAB ,more on my pages Paris Transportation Tips by gwened

hope it helps

Thanks Pedro for that info.  I have studied the links you gave in your review and unfortunately it seems that wecab is only available for transport to and from CDG or Orly.  The agents for the apartment that I will be renting will organise suitable pick up and return to the airport for us.  I am basically looking for taxis that I can pick up from a taxi station around the city just to get us back to the apartment quicker when my two grandchildren get tired and need to go to bed.  It is mainly for convenience when out sightseeing that we would need to take a taxi.  I was just hoping that there would be taxis available at taxi stations that would take three adults and two very small children (ages 2 and 3). Is there any advice you can give me for this?

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Kate, when you go to a taxi station, normally you would go to the first cab there. If he refuses just carry on down the line 'til you find one that will. I used to get loads of fares at tourist places, because nobody at that time could speak English, so the clients just walked down the queue 'til they found one.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:13 AM

ah yes airport, ok but pfsmalo is correct, just need to find one that is ok. I just saw a tv news special here about taxis 50000 in FRance 6000 in Paris, all struggling to make it; working 60 hrs a week sometimes seven days a week.;; if you give a good tip they will take you.
    cheers

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Yes Pedro, I think you are right about the tip. It has always worked for me in the past.

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Paul, I'll remember that. Thanks.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines