Paris Travel Answers

change location

Paris in June

by RollenD Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Hello All,
I raised questions on this forum last year and received good replies but unfortunately I still haven’t been able to visit Paris but I intend to do that soon.
I need your opinion on Paris in June. I wish to see the following attractions; Eiffel Tower, Bus Tour, Seine cruise, Sainte Chapelle, Arc De Triomphe & Champs Elysees, Latin quarter, Sacre Coeur, Montmarte, DisneyLand, Jardin Du Luxemborg, Cite Des Sciences et de L'Industrie, Saint Ouen Flea market, Printemsp or Galeries Lafayette malls.
Now let’s say we divide June into 2 parts of 2 weeks each; so first 2 weeks of June and then last 2 weeks of June. Which part of June should I choose to visit Paris? I can tolerate hot weather, but not rainy. I prefer fewer crowds, and reasonably priced room rates. I’m not that interested in festivals.
All advices and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
19 Answers
  • Kaaskop85's Profile Photo

Re: Paris in June

by Kaaskop85 Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Weather is very unpredictable in West-Europe. Sometimes June is hot, sometimes cold (14 degrees) and rainy. If you want to chose I would suggest the last weeks because temperature should be higher, but nothing is sure.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Like Kaaskop says, weatherwise there is no difference between beginning or end of June, at all.
    It can be hot or completely wet and anything in between.
    What you want to see (apart from Disneyland) will take you about 5 days.
    I see you do not mention the museums. To enjoy the Champs Elysées and views fully, I suggest you start walking at the Louvre pyramid, towards Place de la Concorde onto Champs Elysées and Arc de Triomphe. It's a good stroll. I like it in the evening.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM

"I can tolerate hot weather, but not rainy". - Let me say first that it is Paris and it will rain. We have been to Paris twice in the past couple of years, once in early October and once in late April/early May and it has probably rained a bit at least 1/2 of the days we have been there and sometimes several times during one day. June is probably more known for quick thunderstorms from what I've read. The reason Paris has so many gardens is that it does rain a lot and keeps the vegetation well watered. That being said most rains that we've encountered have been brief and we have seen some wonderful rainbows. Bring an umbrella and shoes that you aren't afraid to get wet. You could leave the hotel, bed and breakfast, etc. early in the morning to bright sunshine and and hour later it could cloud over be raining. The weather systems come in over the Atlantic Ocean and pick up the moisture which then turns into rain.

As far as which part of June to visit for crowd purposes I would tend toward more of the beginning of the month as American visitors are more likely to come in the later parts of the month as the kids are all out of schools by then (I'm an American so know when the kids go to school here). I don't know about other countries school vacations (holidays).

Reasonably priced room rates. Paris is like most major cities in that the hotel prices will not be inexpensive and I think you will find June one of the higher priced months of the year. I would suggest looking at booking.com for dates you want to be in Paris and compare places to stay and their rates. The closer you are to the "Heart of Paris" the more expensive the room rates will be. On our last trip we stayed at 2 different places. We actually stayed outside the city center for the first part and right in the heart of Paris for the second part. Our very small room in the heart of Paris during the first part of May was about 110 Euros a night. It was small but comfortable and we don't spend much times in hotel rooms to worry too much about the size.

Here is one of many websites you can visit that will give you an idea of weather conditions in Paris throughout the year. meoweather.com/history/Franc...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

by Nemorino Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 11:54 PM

On the longest day of the year, which this year will be June 21, there is a big music festival in Paris, with free concerts all over the city.

After reading your list of things to want to do in Paris, I suggest you read some of the tips here on VT about how to avoid standing in lines (queuing) for hours at a time.

Have a great trip!

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 12:01 AM

And to get you started with a page follow this link to my tips and pictures from our 2 trips to Paris.

"Went by the Eiffel Tower but Didn't Go Up" - Paris by riorich55

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

by Nemorino Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 12:26 AM

In 2006 I spent ten days in Paris in June. There was a heat wave on, and it only rained once the whole time:
    "Mozart in the rain" - Jardins du Luxembourg Tip by Nemorino

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

by pedroswift Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Nemorino wrote: On the longest day of the year, which this year will be June 21, there is a big music festival in Paris, with free concerts all over the city.

Was in Paris for Fete de Musique (http://www.fetedelamusique.culture.fr/) two years ago. All of the Ibis hotels (dozens) were fully booked for the festival. Other options had increased their prices. We paid thru' the nose for lesser standard accom. So it's worth avoiding that period unless you book accom well in advance.

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 1:52 AM

>>The reason Paris has so many gardens is that it does rain a lot Wrong Rich. The reason Paris has so many gardens is that they give us loads of room to doss about when there's a heatwave on......

• Karlithus's Profile Photo

by Karlithus Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Hi!

I've been in Paris in June about 3 years ago (or was it 4?), all the zones you mention including Disneyland.

It rained only once, when we were getting up champs elysée to get to Arc du Triumph. It rained for 15m, but it sure rained like hell!

The other days it was always foggy, excluding the day we went to Disneyland, the sun was shinning and it was warm!

It was my second time at Disneyland Paris, and at June I thought it was pretty good! Not too much lines to the attractions, you could move around, etc.

Anyway, don't be scared about my comments about the weather in June. Although it was always foggy, Paris still was a beautiful and pleasant city to visit and to taste!!

Karl

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

by Flying.Scotsman Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 3:01 AM

You've missed out the best "thing to do" in Paris: wandering about discovering things as you go. Having a list of things you want to see is a good idea, but always allow lots of time to walk from one sight to another and you will discover all kinds of things that weren't on your list. "Walking around" is one of the best "things to do" in Paris. There is always an interesting shop window, or interesting person, or perhaps pairs of shoes hanging from a telephone wire!? See "Just walking around" - Walking Around Tip by Flying.Scotsman . Les passages are 19th century shopping arcades, with some unusual little shops and cafes: "Les Passages" - Galleries & Passages Tip by Flying.Scotsman
    Have a look at the many members' travel pages about Paris to get more ideas about things to do. As far as weather is concerned, I would agree with the previous answers as to the unpredictability of Paris weather. As I come from Scotland, I think the weather in Paris is generally better than Glasgow, but that isn't saying much! Buy an umbrella and enjoy Paris. If it rains it will look like those paintings people bring back that from Paris which always seem to be on rainy days. Enjoy Paris; it's our favourite city. Bruce

• Re: Paris in June

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 6:23 AM

Hah! reasonable answers all... well once I fell in love in Paris in June, it was lovely!! :) (the good weather didnt last forever, but that's life!) In any case, it is a very romantic time to be there or anywhere in France. Yes, fewer crowds in the beginning of June, but probably slightly more chance of rain. Qui sait?? There are so many indoors things to see and do - museums, restaurants, etc - that a rainy day might not be all that bad after all....

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 7:03 AM

pfsmalo wrote:
    >>The reason Paris has so many gardens is that it does rain a lot Wrong Rich. The reason Paris has so many gardens is that they give us loads of room to doss about when there's a heatwave on......

Same thing in Chicago.  We have our one park now in downtown Chicago (Millenium Park) with 2 huge glass fountains that squirt water out of the portraits of mouths every 10 minutes or so.  Kids galore and some adults enjoying that all summer long.  But it does take rains to make parks around the world look their best!

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Here in France everybody knows the answer to the question "Why is Normandy so green ?". Whicn makes your answer a pretty good one Rich.

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I just wanted the original poster to realize he/she will probably have some rain when they visit. I don't know how intolerant they are with rain, but that actually makes it part of the Paris experience.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 8:26 AM

You're fortunate you're not going in November. ;^)

We had rain nearly every day one year in November. In June you will probably have some rain but certainly not every day. The nice thing about June is the long days. It gives you more time for daylight sightseeing. We've been there for the music festival twice and once a loud rock group across from our hotel kept us awake way past our bedtime. The other time we had a really fun experience at St. Sulpice Church where a local school or music school was in charge of the entertainment. The kids and their teachers gave a really fun concert and even enlisted is to help move equipment from the church. I wouldn't plan my trip for the festival, but if you go then, do some research and hear music you enjoy rather than leave it to change. There is every type of music available so you just need to know where to hear your choice.

There will be lots of tourists any time you go and you will be among them. Enjoy the experience. There are passes and entrances that help you avoid long lines. More research.

Check hotel rates for your dates. They might be slightly lower early in the month but June is really tourist season. We've looked lots at of hotels over the years and decided long ago that the center of town was what we preferred. You save on transportation of you're in the center and, best of all, you can walk out of your hotel into a Paris street scene. We enjoy walking to most of sights and staying in the center lets you do that. There is a hotel for every budget in the center; you just have to look for it. Here's a list of budget hotels we've found to get you started. Budget hotels in Paris: "Cheap hotels do exist in Paris" - Paris Hotel Tip by Beausoleil
    Here's our latest favorite and I haven't put it on the list yet but we've used it really liked it. Hôtel de France Quartier Latin: "Clean, pleasant hotel in the Latin Quarter" - Paris Hotel Tip by Beausoleil

I hope you make it this time and have a wonderful time.

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Beausoleil wrote:
    You're fortunate you're not going in November. ;^)

We had rain nearly every day one year in November. In June you will probably have some rain but certainly not every day. The nice thing about June is the long days. It gives you more time for daylight sightseeing. We've been there for the music festival twice and once a loud rock group across from our hotel kept us awake way past our bedtime. The other time we had a really fun experience at St. Sulpice Church where a local school or music school was in charge of the entertainment. The kids and their teachers gave a really fun concert and even enlisted is to help move equipment from the church. I wouldn't plan my trip for the festival, but if you go then, do some research and hear music you enjoy rather than leave it to change. There is every type of music available so you just need to know where to hear your choice.

There will be lots of tourists any time you go and you will be among them. Enjoy the experience. There are passes and entrances that help you avoid long lines. More research.

Check hotel rates for your dates. They might be slightly lower early in the month but June is really tourist season. We've looked lots at of hotels over the years and decided long ago that the center of town was what we preferred. You save on transportation of you're in the center and, best of all, you can walk out of your hotel into a Paris street scene. We enjoy walking to most of sights and staying in the center lets you do that. There is a hotel for every budget in the center; you just have to look for it. Here's a list of budget hotels we've found to get you started. Budget hotels in Paris: "Cheap hotels do exist in Paris" - Paris Hotel Tip by Beausoleil Here's our latest favorite and I haven't put it on the list yet but we've used it really liked it. Hôtel de France Quartier Latin: "Clean, pleasant hotel in the Latin Quarter" - Paris Hotel Tip by Beausoleil

I hope you make it this time and have a wonderful time.

Actually the weather chart that I referred the poster to in my original answer shows more rain typically in June then November.  And bottom line it will probably rain in Paris especially sometime over a 2 week span.  I say plan for it and if you don't want to walk around in the rain go inside to a museum or a cafe.  

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Hi Rich. We've been there quite a few times in June and not run into any huge amounts of rain, but the one time we went in November, it honestly rained every day except one. When we woke to sunshine, we hopped on the train to Versailles to see it on a nice day.

You're right, though, it probably will rain at least once and I've always thought Paris was pretty in the rain. It brings to mind all those lovely black and white photos from my parents' days. It's misty and lovely. The only thing I didn't like was discovering autumn leaves are very slippery when wet. ;^)

If you want to see the lights at night and you retire early, November is good because the sun sets earlier so the lights come on when you're still awake. We decided to stay up for the "city of lights" to light up once in July and I was nearly asleep before they came on. Of course, the bright side of that is in June, you have a lot more daylight sightseeing time and if you're a nightowl, you'll see the lights no matter what time the sun sets.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM

weather is not easy to determine, it snow just past couple of days, and never had snow in march, then, you can check
    meteo france for weather google it, its fun
    cheers

• Re: Paris in June

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I arrived once in Paris in May - this was a long time ago, 1977!! goodness!! and - it was snowing....Impossible to second guess the weather too much - especially in France!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines