Paris Travel Answers

change location
Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Pere Lachaise Metro stop

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I know that there are several metro stops close to Pere Lachaise cemetery. What I need to know now is which one would be the most suitable for me as I do have some mobility problems and would prefer not to have to walk uphill more than I need to. Thanks for your help.

Quote & Answer
27 Answers
  • wabat's Profile Photo

Re: Pere Lachaise Metro stop

by wabat Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Gambetta is best stop. Mainly downhill if you start here. Great place to visit.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • iaint's Profile Photo

by iaint Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM

The Pere Lachaise one. About 100m to the cemetery entrance.

1 member found this helpful

• wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Yes Pere Lachaise is closest and stop at main entrance. OP wishes to walk downhill as i did . Gambetta is best stop for this with pere lachaise being exit.

3 members found this helpful

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Wabat has it right, for the walking downhill, Gambetta is definitely the best. Start from the others and you'll have to go uphill after a while

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

by alyf1961 Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 1:08 AM

A map (printed from the internet) is a must for bearings and to pinpoint the main graves at Pere Lechaise.. The atmosphere and history of the graveyard is amazing and well worth a vist.

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

by tango_jd Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Be aware that it is quite hilly inside the cemetary with , for example, the Oscar Wilde grave at the top and Chopin's 3/4 of the way down.
    The idea of starting at th etop and working down may prove more suitable.
    The "main" path leading-up from the main entrance is up a moderately steep slope

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Regarding a map, I've included a live link to a PDF of the same map the cemetery office provides in my review:

"Cimetière du Père-Lachaise: Find the Famous" - Cimetière du Père Lachaise Tip by goodfish

Click on the blue "here" in the text "A map of locations can be downloaded here and printed out before your trip:" to pull it up. It clearly notes the location of the metro stops as well. Let me know if the link doesn't work for some reason? I just checked it and it opens fine for me but browsers can react differently.

I'll agree with Tango that exploring the cemetery will involve some hills and steps: it's organized in levels so is not a flat piece of ground.

by goodfish Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Sorry - forgot to add that this site gives you the opportunity to "walk" some of the cemetery virtually so you can see some of the paths in advance:

pere-lachaise.com/perelachai...

Click on any of the little white dots and a 360 -degree view pops up in the window in the top left of the page. Clicking on the red arrows in that window will "walk" you forward. You'll be relieved to see that there are plenty of flat-ish paths that won't cause you trouble - although you may have to go uphill/downhill or manage some steps to get to all of them.

by tango_jd Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 4:54 AM

goodfish wrote: Sorry - forgot to add that this site gives you the opportunity to "walk" some of the cemetery virtually so you can see some of the paths in advance:

pere-lachaise.com/perelachai...

Click on any of the little white dots and a 360 -degree view pops up in the window in the top left of the page. Clicking on the red arrows in that window will "walk" you forward. You'll be relieved to see that there are plenty of flat-ish paths that won't cause you trouble - although you may have to go uphill/downhill or manage some steps to get to all of them.

That'a smashing link - I wish I had known about it before I visited last November! I enjoyed the visit - I did find it a little slippery with lots of fallen leaves and the rain on that day and thought it best to mention th ehilly nature of the site. But, as you say, it is perfectly walk-able with care.

As an aside I was REALLY disappointed with Oscar Wilde's tomb - a lump of stone with  a face carved on one corner.... and half-hidden by graffit-covered-perspex. Chopins grave was beautiful and the mausoleums were really interesting! Just like walking through a miniature village! My own Paris page has a photo of me (in the rain) there!

by goodfish Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:21 AM

It is a great resource, isn't it? I'd run across it when doing our research for Paris and thought it would be a good one to share with the VT gang. It was also nice arriving with a map already in hand, and the monuments I really wanted to see already determined and circled for quick location.

But it's not a place to rush: some of the best of the monuments and sculptures belong to persons no one has probably ever heard of! :O)

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:41 AM

yes many plans for a popular place, been there done that and up I go. here is another site in French with tapping the name of the person tells you about it;range by division or rows, and good for most cementaries of France
    landrucimetieres.fr/spip/spi...

and this is an app that can downloaded to pdf file
    appl-lachaise.net/appl/artic...

and this one is from the city of Paris in French but all of them can be help translate with google at least
    equipement.paris.fr/Cimeti%A...

then , it would be sensible to start from the top down as indeed as others said it is hilly and can be tiring. downhill seems to work best than uphill ::)

hope it helps

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:43 AM

That depends if you are French or not, Kate.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by goodfish Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:47 AM

Very true, Paul. I was just going on the amount of deterioration on some of them.

• wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:56 AM

tango_jd wrote:

As an aside I was REALLY disappointed with Oscar Wilde's tomb - a lump of stone with  a face carved on one corner.... and half-hidden by graffit-covered-perspex. Chopins grave was beautiful and the mausoleums were really interesting! Just like walking through a miniature village! My own Paris page has a photo of me (in the rain) there!

I was there in September and Im sure I read somewhere since that Wildes tomb had been renovated and cleaned up ... not sure of its current status. That said there is a history behind the lipstick kisses - Wilde himself would have loved it.

Perhaps I should mention I went to the same school as Oscar Wilde - albeit it some years later  LOL.

All in all I consider it a must see in Paris.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Thanks everyone, you have given me some very interesting and helpful replies. I'm taking my son and daughter in law and my two very young grandchildren with me on this trip to Europe and I will have the perfect opportunity to visit Pere Lachaise on the day that I parcel all of them off to Disneyland. It's a place I never seem to have had time for on all my previous visits to Paris.

by goodfish Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 3:35 AM

An excellent choice, Kate. :O)

I spent around 5 hours wandering about the monuments and could have spent longer: fascinating place, and a very good one for the camera!

by tango_jd Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM

If it helps, I have just created an "off-the-beaten-track" page in my Paris pages.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM

ahh now I get it ,for you first timer its good to visit. Have a good quiet good day ::)

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Haha Pedro, generally it's not very noisy in cemeteries...... >>Have a good quiet good day

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM

you got it ::)

• iaint's Profile Photo

by iaint Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM

If it's cold (as it often is in cemeteries), the cafe opposite the Pere Lachaise metro does a great hot wine.

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I am really enjoying all your comments on Pere Lachaise and I will certainly look out for the cafe with the warm wine. Any other suggestions whilst I'm in the area?

• wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Thats the nice thing about VT .. You ask about a Metro stop and you find out about a whole area.

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 1:10 AM

If you walk down the steps at the exit on the south side towards rue de la Reunion, just at the exit there is a lovely public natural garden. Follow rue de la Reunion down (if you are there on Tursday or Sunday you'll find an ethnic market plus the usual) at the place. Another 100 metres and you'll find rue des Vignoles. Here to the left or right there are lots of small cul de sacs with strange names, eg Satans impasse. Just round the corner is Gods impasse, so no jealousy. These were originally the pathways between the different vineyards that used to be here. If you want a little walk take rue de Vignoles to the end left at rue des Orteaux and then right on rue de Vitruve until you come to rue St Blaise. This is the centre of the old village of Charonne and to the left a lovely view to the church of St. Germain. A rarety on a church is the sundial on the belfry. It is worth a short visit to the cemetery just to the left of the church. If you want to see some photos of the area, I have plenty on my "off the beaten path tips, 20th arrondissement"

• wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 1:31 AM

just what I meant above -- great information pfsmalo

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:26 AM

I'll certainly check out your tips, thanks for your help.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 7:14 AM

agree pfsmalo has an inmense amount of info and work in the "off the beaten track" section on Paris. Charonne oh yes another one of those villages coming into Paris in 1860 when baron Haussmann did Paris ::)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines