Paris Travel Answers

change location
autumn918's Profile Photo

Cheap hostel in downtown paris & museum entry

by autumn918 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Hi fellow VTs,

I will be in Paris from 9-11 June, & travelling to Provence, & coming back to Paris again on 23, & 24 June.
I have a few questions that I need help in.

Firstly, does anybody have any recommendation for value for money hostel below 25 euro/pax within walking distance from Louvre & Orsay Museums, because I Intend to visit mainly these 2 museums whilst i paris.

Secondly, is it worthwhile for me to buy the paris museum pass, because I intend to visit Louvre one day & orsay the other day, & the entrance for Lourve is 15 Euro for all exhibits, & Orsay is only 9 Euro.
But if I don't buy the pass, how should I get in to avoid the crowd in summer season.

Thanks,
Rebekah

Quote & Answer
22 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: Cheap hostel in downtown paris & museum entry

by gwened Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 7:11 AM

try www.paris35.com
    and St Christopher's by Canal st Martin and la rotonde for entertainement great up and coming area of Paris
    st-christophers.co.uk/paris-...

hope it helps

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Hi Rebekah -
    I can't help with a hostel but I wouldn't recommend investing in a Paris museum pass if you're only going to visit two of the attractions it covers. I'm a big fan of that pass but only if you have enough time to break even on the cost: which means visiting enough of the sights it covers to break even.

There are some ways to get around the queues at the Louvre. One is to go directly to one of the lesser-used entrances a little before the opening hour. Galerie du Carrousel is the one we used and it worked particularly well for us as it's indoors, and it was raining that morning. The Passage Richelieu entrance is also good. Whatever you do, just avoid the main Pyramid entrance as the worst of the crowds will be there.

The other thing you can do is pre-order a ticket: that puts you directly into the security line (which everyone must pass through). You may find information on how to order here:

http://www.louvre.fr/en/advance-tickets

It looks like you may also pre-order a ticket to the d'Orsay through the same tickets outlet you'd use for the Louvre (provided in the website above).

I'm sure there will be an upcharge for both but probably less that the cost of the museum pass.

1 member found this helpful

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM

yes goodfish is right, no need for a museum ^pass to see a couple of museums, I have it on my Paris page that it takes 3 museums minimum to make worthwhile. For crowds just be there early and wednesday mornings on average by the local press seems to work the best.
    the pre order ticket is good, you still go thru security lines but less than with the ticket in hand.
    hope it helps

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM

The easiest way to get in the Louvre without a line is to go in the Lion's Gate on Quai Mitterrand along the Seine. You'll see two green lion statues. Walk to them and you'll see the entrance . . . and no line.

I've written a Tip about it and if you click on the second photo underneath the main photo, there is a map of the Louvre to show you exactly where the entrance is. "Avoid the lines at the Louvre" - Louvre Tip by Beausoleil

The other two entrances mentioned above are also good but you may find a small line. The advantage there is they are more obvious if you are following the crowds. Avoid the Pyramid entrance; it is always crowded.

You may find a long line at the d'Orsay but it usually goes quickly. Honestly, the Museum Pass is not worth it for two museums.

The hostel mentioned above is not within walking distance as you requested, but it is a highly regarded hostel and you can take the Metro to get where you want to go. It might be your best bet.

We stayed at a relatively inexpensive hotel a block from the Louvre and I'll give you the web site. The hotel was okay but some Saturday nights can be very loud because there is a private apt. nearby and there are extremely loud (and long) parties there on some Saturdays. If you won't be there on a Saturday, it's a great location and the staff is excellent. http://www.montpensierparis.com

Enjoy Paris.

by goodfish Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Sally, I only didn't mention Porte des Lions as the website didn't list the open hours for that entrance. They note it's open on Mondays - when I'm guessing our poster is most likely to visit - but to call for exact times.

Odd, that!?

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM

All the entrances to the Louvre can be crowded or not on different days, I drive and walk by there for many years when lived nearby in Versailles, and of course visited the louvre, heck my father was treated at the clinique du louvre just by the church of St Germain l'Auxerrois lol!,and watching the crowds in the afternoon was awful . If you just happened to come and is ok then be glad. Wednesdays statistically for all museums is best because its school day off in the afternoon so if come in the morning most folks from here avoid to be able to come with their children later in the afternoon. Its a ritual. So at least you avoid the school crowds.

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Kate, their web site lists the following: "Porte des Lions entrance: open on Monday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Opening hours: please contact us at +33 (0)1 40 20 53 17 (except Tuesday)."

The entire museum is closed on Tuesdays so the Lion's Gate would not be open then either. We were there once on May Day, a huge holiday, and we walked right in behind one other couple at the Lion's Gate. Later discovered kids (honeymooners) of friends had waited over 2 hours to get in at the Pyramid entrance. Think I would have found something better to do on my honeymoon than wait 2 hours to get into the Louvre.

http://www.louvre.fr/en/hours-admission

by goodfish Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Yes, I know it's closed on Tuesdays. :O)
    It's the "Opening hours: please contact us at +33 (0)1 40 20 53 17" that threw me. Makes it sound as if it's open odd hours (call to find out what those are) as hours were clearly listed for the other entrances.

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM

It's a very strange web site at the Louvre. They list the museum open on
    "Monday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday: from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Wednesday, Friday: from 9 a.m. to 9:45 p.m."

Then you look at the hours the entrances are open and they are completely different. The entrance hours are longer than the museum hours. Perhaps it's so people can get out after closing?

But the Lion's Gate entrance is open Monday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday according to their web site..

I think I'd make the wild assumption that the entrances are open when the museum is open. It might also be wise to leave by the main exit if you are there until closing.

I did notice they won't be open on May Day this year. Wonder why? It was packed the May Day we were there, wall-to-wall people.

by goodfish Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Very strange indeed, Sally! I just thought it was really odd that they'd specify hours for all entrances but that one: as if maybe they were shifting hours around due to, well, who knows??

Call me Confused! HA!

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 8:24 PM

It's a special entrance for Friends of the Louvre so perhaps they assumed everyone knows the hours. They let anyone in and there is security and a ticket office, but it is for Friends of the Louvre although they also have two other entrances. I suspect most use the Lion's Gate just for speed and privacy. The Louvre web site has improved over the years, but it's always had quirks, especially the English version. It keeps getting better.

by goodfish Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 2:45 AM

AH!! Thanks for shedding some light on that oddity, Sally.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:55 AM

yes indeed les amis du louvre is preference, I am ::) ,and they have always functions there that now unfortun cannot come to all of them; but porte de lions is open to the public too on some days. May 1 is labor day here, and the time beausoleil got in might be a special weekday that it was open, this one is on Monday so we take the pont or bridge off from work so it will be close.

amisdulouvre.fr/avantages/av...
    you too can become a friend all can help keep as it is beautiful ::)

ahh yes entrance hours, museum hours, yes you need time to empty the louvre lol!!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 6:10 AM

oh yes and before we go on, sorry, I missed the Orsay, I am not there but know it well ;my son worked just across from it for a year, great area. that one is popular too,and you have crowds, best again is wednesday mornings as most locals forgoes to go to be there in the afternoon off school with their kids so at least you take some crowds out. Never sure thus.

Some days I would go there and is almost no line and some days it is packed outside. Just come and enjoy them both are worth the wait. At Orsay if you have to purchase on site you enter on A and if you already the ticket you go by C, I suggest if sure, to buy ahead of arrival
    musee-orsay.fr/fr/visite/bil...

Hope it helps

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 8:47 AM

gwened, You're right; I looked it up and that year May Day was a first Sunday and, of course the museum is open and free on first Sundays. That would also explain the incredibly long lines that day. There is no way we would have stood in the line at the Pyramid that day.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

ahh there you go glad you find out ::)

• Re: Cheap hostel in downtown paris & museum entry

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Where is that hostel mentioned? 25 euros a night in Paris is a miracle - however you might try airbnb, for a reasonable room - I was looking recently (although I didn't make it) and found some nice rooms in that area - If they are beyond you modest budget, you can make upt for it, by saving a lot of money eating at "home" sometimes and not out....

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM

The St. Christopher`s Hostel is on the Canal St. Martin so not near the two museums the poster wants to visit, but the random date I put in had a price of 28 euros. That is a great price in Paris and it's gotten excellent reviews. The Metro or bus makes it easy enough to get to the museums. It also might be a fun place to meet fellow travelers. Good suggestion from gwened.

• Re: Cheap hostel in downtown paris & museum entry

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Thanks for the tip!! my Paris days date from decades ago, but I know that the Canal St Martin has become a really hip/chic area, and the photos of the Canal look lovely - so it is a great address!!

• autumn918's Profile Photo

by autumn918 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the great info, I now have a rough idea where I want to go n stay. tempted to stay at st Christopher, but it's quite x actually, 29 euro for a 12bed dorm. I actually found a 1 star hotel called Luna park hotel on Paris35.com. It costs only 21 euro/pax for a double room. Anybody have heard of this hotel? Is it clean n near to metro?

Cheers,
    Rebekah

by goodfish Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Haven't heard of it myself but you can check out the reviews on Hostelworld.com:

hostelworld.com/hosteldetail...

And Trip Advisor:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review...

It is in the 11è - Bastille/République Area, close to the Parmentier metro station.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM

yes paris35 has cheap accomm but for 21€ I won't be able to say anything ::)
    cheers

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines