Paris Travel Answers

change location

How much time from airport to Gare de Paris-Est?

by blissful_hope Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM

My flight from Canada arrives at CDG airport at 9:45am so I'm wondering how much time I should leave to clear customs, get my luggage, etc and travel to Gare de Paris-Est.

There's a train leaving Gare de Paris-Est at 12:55pm which I was hoping to catch since it's the cheapest fare of the day. Do you think 3 hours is enough time?

The next train is 1:55pm which should be more than enough time but it costs significantly more. Any input would be much appreciated!

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Re: How much time from airport to Gare de Paris-Est?

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Paris Est is just a couple of blocks away from Paris Nord. So you start by taking the RER to Paris Nord (takes 31 minutes). Add to that the time you will need to clear immigration and get your luggage, and 10 minutes to walk from Nord to Est. I think you can do this, if you're used to finding your way around airports and train stations. What is your final destination? You might have a direct train with a good fare staight from the airport.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by maniksread Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Hi this is nice information. Thanks for provide the Canada Flights information

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

Re: How much time from airport to Gare de Paris-Est?

by Flying.Scotsman Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:55 AM

There should be plenty of time to connect with your train...however....flights can be late, customs and immigration and baggage collection can be slow. Depending on the time you have and where your final destination is, I would leave more time and if everything runs smoothly, you can spend an afternoon in Paris and catch your train the next day or perhaps later the same day. I suppose my attitude to travelling slowly has a lot to do with my age. The older I get the slower I want to go (arthritis plays a part in this!). Unless there is a pressing need for speed, I would advise taking more time and enjoying your travelling rather than worrying whether you can catch your train. Enjoy your travels whatever you choose. Bruce

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I think you would have enough time, but.... when the plane actually departs and lands is something one can never, truly predict. So much depends on weather, the airport etc. If all goes well, and I hope it does, then I wouldn't worry too much about the time for getting to the train you want.

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Generally you'll easily have enough time, I would say between 60/75 mins to clear customs and walk to the RER station. You will still have at least an hour spare for your plane to be late, although obviously sometimes that will not be enough. I would bite the bullet on the price and go for the 13h55. There's nothing to stop you going to the counter at the Gare de l'Est and changing your ticket back if you find you are in plenty of time for the 12h55, although whether they will re-imburse the difference is another matter.

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 5:27 AM

If Strasbourg is your destination (which the 12:55 departure seems to suggest) you can also take the 12:36 train from the airport directly to Strasbourg. That saves you the hassle of having to get in to Paris etc... Cheap tickets for that trains start at 33,- euro, so that is quite good value.

3 members found this helpful

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Good idea KVB!!!

by blissful_hope Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I didn't even realize there was a train station at the airport. You're correct - I'm going to Strasbourg. The 12:36 train from CDG is perfect! I'll book that one. Thank you :)

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM

blissful_hope wrote:

I didn't even realize there was a train station at the airport. You're correct - I'm going to Strasbourg. The 12:36 train from CDG is perfect! I'll book that one. Thank you :)

Glad to help. Make sure you follow "TGV" and not "RER" signs at the airport. There are three railway stations at CDG. 2 for RER, and one for the TGV. The TGV station is under Terminal 2. 

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM

you wont have a problem and the direct train is good too. so you are all set,enjoy strasbourg.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines