Paranaque Travel Answers

change location

Guests

by Anamericanman Online Now Mar 26, 2009 at 6:35 AM

I am a US citizen residing in the Philippines. Upon arrival I can shop duty free for 2 days. What about bringing my wife who is a filipina, local national? Is she allowed to shop with me? What if she brings her mother along also? Are guests allowed and if so how many?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • asianbelle's Profile Photo

Re: Guests

by asianbelle Online Now Mar 26, 2009 at 7:27 AM

You can shop within 48 hours upon arrival and can bring along your wife and her mother. For more info, you can visit their website: www.dfp.gov.ph

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • edwinic's Profile Photo

by edwinic Online Now Mar 26, 2009 at 7:52 AM

Seriously, why should one consider shopping in a duty free shop?

• Re: Guests

by Anamericanman Online Now Mar 26, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I agree, but often locals are taken in by the term, "duty free". Actually, most of the items can be purchased cheaper at SM or else where. I enjoy shopping at Rustans or Rockwell Center.

by edwinic Online Now Mar 26, 2009 at 7:54 PM

In the old days, duty free means product made "stateside" but now with globalisation....

• bongski's Profile Photo

by bongski Online Now Mar 28, 2009 at 10:58 AM

You can bring as many as you can as long as 1 of you is qualified to do do duty free shopping.

imported whisky and other alcoholic bottles are a little bit cheaper and if they still have the same promotion gimmick before, it will be not by the liter but by the promo package. if they have a promo of 3 bottles in a bag, you can bring out 2 bags with 6 bottles instead of just 2 1 liter bottle.

Duty free shopping was a big thing before when there was a big disparity in prices and goods available, but now there is little difference. Its just the mindset of some that when its from duty free shops, its originally imported as compared to bying it in sm, rustans or malls.

bong

by edwinic Online Now Mar 28, 2009 at 7:03 PM

I recall in the 90's when Dr Marten shoes was a big hit and the Duty Free Shop in Clark, Pampanga was flourishing. Being an OFW, I could not help comparing prices. The DFS price is 50% more as compared to prices in the Middle East. That is also true to perfumes. Candies are higher by 20% are well as tobacco. And the television models being displayed then are phase-out.

Duty-free shop reflects the captured mindset by the Filipinos. I guess we should unlearn, if we still can. Fortunately, it is a dying business (it probably is taking another form).

• cyndymc's Profile Photo

by cyndymc Online Now Mar 28, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Yes, you can bring along your wife, mother-in-law and relatives to the duty free shop. I've seen van-loads of relatives joining travelers in the shopping.

Like others, though, I'm not very excited about shopping at the duty free shops nowadays. There's a tendency for some to go there only because of perceived "lost opportunity" to buy "stateside" items within 48 hours. Others simply want to please their relatives from the provinces who tend to make a big deal about shopping at duty free shops... Unfortunately, there's not much variety in the branded merchandise that you can't buy at popular malls here at comparable prices.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines