Paraguay Travel Answers

change location
DSwede's Profile Photo

Comments on General Itinerary

by DSwede Online Now Mar 4, 2012 at 6:04 AM

I'm in the early stages of planning a ~7 day trip to Paraguay and want to set some priorities. Keeping in mind that I do 'not' want to add Iguazu to my itinerary (I've already been there from Argentina & Brazil), what recommendations do any of you have? I'm not looking for detailed specifics, but rather comments to the general itinerary:

a) 2 days Asuncion
b) 2 days circuit - Itá, Yaguarón, Piribebuy, Caacupé, Itauguá, Luque
c) is it worth visiting Encarnacion/Posadas (Argentina) for a day (?)
d) is Filadelfia worth visiting (?)
e) 1 day in Villarrica (?)
f) 2 days driving through north Chaco area (?)
g) Recommended national parks, etc. along the way

I'm assuming I would need my own transportation to make this happen unless you tell me public transit sufficient even in these small/remote places.

Thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Re: Comments on General Itinerary

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I have traveled quite a bit in South America but never to Paraguay. I always thought that the political situation was unstable there. From what friends tell me the best park to see is Ybycuí National Park. Some cool forests, streams and lots of water falls.

Ciudad de Este waterfalls are about 325 km east of Asuncion, close to Iguazu Falls.

For bike riding I understand that Lake Ypacarai which is about 30 km. from the capital is a good place to go and camp as well.

Have a great but safe time there!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Online Now Mar 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Thanks! Ybycuí National Park is duly noted and I'll read up on it and try to fit it in somewhere.

As for you comments about the political situation, those too are noted. I believe state of mind, precautions and expectations play a factor. I'm not a stranger to going where many don't.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Online Now May 3, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Well, I survived my trip and had a great time. I'm actually going back tomorrow since I was basically adopted some new friends and they are having a wedding and family bbq... My pages will follow shortly.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Paraguay Travel Answer Locations