Papua New Guinea Travel Answers

change location
rorojuste's Profile Photo

Australia PNG Indonesia by ship/ ferry

by rorojuste Online Now May 29, 2009 at 6:41 AM

Hey fellas,
does anybody has inforamtion about sea connection between australia PNG (then Indonesia). Are there ferries you can go with. The map shows me that there are small island between the finn of austalias north-east coast and PNG. Could you do that by hopping over the island by smaller boats for example? I dont want to travel illegaly of course, so offical ways are needed. cheers, robin

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • tropicrd's Profile Photo

Re: Australia PNG Indonesia by ship/ ferry

by tropicrd Online Now May 30, 2009 at 1:01 AM

You may be able to get on a coastal trader boat--I have not heard about any public ships/boats between PNG and Australia.I live in Cairns and people fly to and fro. Absolutley no ferries available.
    Or you might consider a legal fishing boat but I believe they are few up that way.
    Remember a lot of Islands in the Torres strait are very small and unable to accomodate a lot of visitors. Thursday Island would be ok.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • australia2's Profile Photo

by australia2 Online Now May 30, 2009 at 7:17 AM

Echo,echo, echo - Dorrise ;-)
    Annoying that you can't rub out the second one, eh.
    Yes, I've just been watching two programs on that strip of water - the Torres Strait. The excellent first one was about the very interesting and historic Eddie Marbo. Sadly, the late Eddie Marbo. Originally from Murray Island out there.
    And the other, a Ted Egan Aussie Travel very good one. It shows the huge QE2 liner being taken by special Torres Strait pilots through the dangerous gaps between the islands and reefs. From the east to the west. Pretty risky !
    I got right to the 'tip' of Cape York Peninsula. And looked towards New Guinea but could not see past a nearby lump of rock island !

I think the only way to do the journey is air travel from either Cairns or Darwin to Port Moresby.
    We don't usually use a verbal reference to Indonesia.
    This is a very good site for information on Cape York Peninsula.
    http://www.cypda.com.au/ >
    Or enter into www.Google.au 'Flights to Port Moresby from Australia.'
    Very many 'hits'.
    Good luck travelling.
    It is extremely different there to how things are in Australia.

• Re: Australia PNG Indonesia by ship/ ferry

by Anne12 Online Now Jun 1, 2009 at 3:04 AM

There is a ship you can travel on from Cairns to the Islands. It's the company named Seaswift. They have room for around 30 people on there ship, it's a cargo ship and has also cabins for people to go for this cargo cruise:)
    ( This is something I really want to do.)
    Check out there site. Google Seaswift Cairns.
    Or you can fly from Cairns to Thursday Island.
    Once you have arrived on Thursday Island, that's where you would start asking for local knowledge.
    I have asked a number of Islanders about the jump from the Islands to PNG and many have told me it is possible.
    The Islanders are such friendly people.
    One thing I would make sure of is that you have all the papers/visas etc to do this.What an adventure it would be, I would love to try this.
    Let us know how it all goes:)

• rorojuste's Profile Photo

by rorojuste Online Now Jun 4, 2009 at 7:07 AM

thank you guys for the good information!
    If its not possible to cross to PNG, just to visit the islands and meet some natives would be a pleasure. When I started to plan my journey I thought it is possible to do Australia, PNG and Indonesia in the belief they are connected by a ferry system. But eventhough Australia is so modern there are many divers countries around it, which are obivously totally different.
    So perhaps I will forget about getting to PNG mainland and catch a boat to indonesia from darwin or something to head north-west, but thats another chapter :D

by australia2 Online Now Jun 6, 2009 at 5:15 AM

Yes, ropro? that may be the wisest. Apart from Port Moresby and some larger villages, PNG is not settled in the term as we use it.
    I think the north coast may be somewhat more than the south.
    There are villages/towns which feature prominantly in Australian and American WW II heroic battle areas.
    Buna, Gona, Tarakan, etc.
    A lot of lives were lost there by all armies, navies and air forces - on both warring sides!

When I was in the RAAF in the fifties in Townsville I had the memorable experience of flying over the Owen Stanley Ranges as a 'technician passenger'.
    At ten thousand feet altitude. That in a late WW II type bomber aircraft! A Lincoln.
    From Townsville to Manus Island, up from the north coast of PNG.
    And on another occassion at low level, in the reverse direction, a search and rescue flight, in the same type of aircraft, around the eastern tip of New Guinea on down to Townsville. Breathtaking !
    I will never forget those times.

by australia2 Online Now Jun 8, 2009 at 3:34 AM

Roro (?), if you come here again - I have an interesting website.
    I was googling for Bamaga, the last town/village at the top of Aussie on Cape York Peninsula.
    Keywords, 'Bamaga Australia'
    After wasting time with google maps, (awfully slow on dial-up ), I went to the first hit and found on its internal links some statistics re the Torres Strait islands' airfields. Not much at all as we suspected.
    It's here and you might want to copy and paste the address into your browser to have a look-see, just for the fuller 'picture':-
    fallingrain.com/icao/YKUB.ht... >

Good luck there. You'll have to visit my Bamaga page and surrounds as a 'fee' !!
    Laurie ;-))

by australia2 Online Now Jun 8, 2009 at 4:21 AM

Actually, this is that site's Bamaga page:-
    fallingrain.com/world/AS/4/B... >

• rorojuste's Profile Photo

by rorojuste Online Now Jun 8, 2009 at 7:38 AM

yep, the maps are more helpfull then the google version. Looks like not so long ago australia was connected to the island of PNG and Indonesia. How much would you pay for a flight from australia to PNG? (not neccessarily in a WWII bomber, haha)
    I saw the pictures of the northernmost point of australia. good job! thanks for your support.

by australia2 Online Now Jun 9, 2009 at 6:17 AM

I'm learning a great deal more myself !!!
    This site is very good:-
    peddellsferry.com.au/ferry.h... >
    Some information re your initial query, but backs up what we thought - again.
    Yes, the Torres Strait islands were part of the 'land bridge' which the Australian Aborigines used in coming from somewhere in India some hundreds of thousands of years ago - or at least that's what the experts say !
    (Looking at the 'bottom' of Australia, the Tasmanian Aborigines - now cruelly wiped out - actually walked across what we now call Bass Strait to get there.! Not water-walking, it was dry then !)
    It seems that the Torres Strait Islanders came later and are quite a different race fron any others around the vicinity.!
    In the Bamaga village/town you can see the difference between the Islanders there and the local Australian Aboriginals. I never heard of any examples of inter-marriage while I was there.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Papua New Guinea Travel Answer Locations