Panajachel Travel Answers

change location

Traveling from Panajachel to Quetzaltenango

by marywood Online Now Jan 16, 2007 at 7:20 PM

I plan to go to Guatemala in March, and I need information about how to travel from Panajachel to Quetzaltenango on a Sunday afternoon. Most of the shuttle information I have seen shows shuttles running from Panajachel to Antigua or Guatemala City, but not to Quetzaltenango. The one shuttle schedule I was able to find showed a morning departure from Panajachel. If there is no good shuttle service, is there a first-class bus? Or only a chicken bus running between the cities? Is it difficult to take luggage on the chicken buses?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • rachipoo2's Profile Photo

RE: Traveling from Panajachel to Quetzaltenango

by rachipoo2 Online Now Jan 17, 2007 at 3:24 PM

hI I am in Xela and I am sure there are shuttle buses going all the time from Pnachjel, as this is a very touristy place. There are travel agents in Panachjel or maybe ask the place that your staying to organise something for you. Chicken buses you can store your bags on the top be wary of your stuff as I have heard of a few incidences of stuff being stolen out of hand bags. But enjoy they are both fantastic places.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Traveling from Panajachel to Quetzaltenango

by Srechko Online Now Jan 17, 2007 at 9:36 PM

Hello,
    I travelled from San Pedro (just across the lake from Panajachel) to Xela but without luggage using chicken buses and collectivos. Yes, luggage can be stored on the roof which I agree might not be the safest solution, but a friend of mine did that and his luggage arrived safe. It also depends how big your bag is, my backpack of an average size they usually stored on the racks inside the chicken bus, or by the back door - never on the roof. I was ok all the time - don't worry chicken bus is safe and fun - and sometimes quite fast as well - depends on a driver.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines