Palmyra Travel Answers

change location

palmyra at new year

by rbarter Online Now Dec 1, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Hi

Ive been to syria many many times with my job, but unfortunately havent been to palmyra before. What i wanted to know is that i and some friends of mine would love to spend new year at palmyra, camping, just for the night. I know it will be very cold and possibly raining but its a once in a lifetime experience to have and whatever the weather, would love to be there for the new year. Im actually staying in aleppo for the duration and Im hiring a car for a few days to sightsee. Ive been doing some research on the internet and have foud that you can camp in The Valley of the Tombs, which would be amazing. I have friends also from syria whom are looking into some details for me. Is there any suggestions you could possibly give me, thanks alot

Rachel

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • iwys's Profile Photo

Re: palmyra at new year

by iwys Online Now Dec 1, 2008 at 1:52 PM

That sounds like a great idea. I worked in Aleppo and spent a weekend down at Palmyra. The best time to visit the site is sunrise. It will be very cold, but totally deserted, apart from a handful of guides + camels. I think my main piece of advice would be get there very early - it's magical then. Then, at sunset, drive up to the Castle of Ibn Maan and look down on the whole site, with its deep pink hues and long shadows.

"Palmyra - Bride of the Desert" - Palmyra by iwys

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dariovoss1's Profile Photo

Re: palmyra at new year

by dariovoss1 Online Now Dec 1, 2008 at 2:22 PM

I have been in Palmyra but in summer, it was just a wonder to have watched the sunset from the castle, do not miss out a vsist to the tempel and the views from the tower. It is a great choice city.
    Good luck and enjoy your trip

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Palmyra