Palermo Travel Answers

change location

Trains or bus

by IRISHLady1 Online Now Feb 25, 2005 at 8:29 AM

I want to get a train or bus from Palermo airport going to cataina? Is that possible?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • 12vic's Profile Photo

RE: Trains or bus

by 12vic Online Now Feb 25, 2005 at 2:11 PM

Hi
    No, it's not possible to get a bus or train directly from the airport. Best thing to do is take the bus to the station in Palermo (it costs 5 euro and takes between 40 mins and 1 hour dependent on traffic) and then take another bus to Catania (if i remember rightly it's 12.50 one way). The buses from Palermo to Catania take about 2 hours 40 mins but that's quicker than the trains. You don't really want to be getting trains in Sicily unless you are going on the east coast mainline or north coast mainline.
    The buses from Palermo to Catania leave on the hour every hour through the day (more or less). Just be aware that you need to get the bus to Catania from the Sais transporti office and ask them where the bus is leaving from because there isn't really a bus station in Palermo, more just a street where buses stop and lots of different bus company offices. You don't need to be able to speak much more italian than saying Catania a few times to people and they should point you in the right direction.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Sjalen's Profile Photo

RE: Trains or bus

by Sjalen Online Now Feb 27, 2005 at 2:05 PM

Haha, I loved going by train even across :))) Just to see the different people on board, but primarily to avoid rushing across those scary motorway bridges on a double decker coach...But yes, train is veeeery slow across the island and the main lines along the coach are indeed the only decent ones.

Have you not found a cheap flight straight to Catania?

• RE: Trains or bus

by Guilia Online Now May 13, 2006 at 5:32 AM

Well I am the same and I havenot found the answer yet

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines