Palenque Travel Answers

change location

Tour Guide

by AEWALT711 Online Now Dec 5, 2011 at 7:42 PM

A small group (6)of us will be visiting Palenque in April 2012 and would like to arrange for a tour guide prior to our arrival. I have searched a number of webpages for names of personal guides, but have learned only that we can wait and get an official guide when we enter the ruins.
Any help in finding a tour guide for one day will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Arch

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • DSwede's Profile Photo

Re: Tour Guide

by DSwede Online Now Dec 7, 2011 at 7:34 AM

If you are only looking for a guide in the Archeological Zone (Ruins) of Palenque, I personally would say that you need not organize anything in advance.

In the parking and ticket area of the ruins, there are official guides (visible with identification tags) which offer good services for fixed rates. Then there are unofficial guides and other kids who will give variable degrees of service for cheaper. IMO, arrive to Palenque, pay the ~50peso entrance fee for foreigners and hire one of the official guides who will be near the front gate. Nearly all the guides speak English, but a few may also speak some Italian or French.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Tour Guide

by AEWALT711 Online Now Dec 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Yes, we are looking for a guide only for the archeological zone. It's good to hear that we can count on the official guides, so I will just be patient and get a guide when we arrive.
    Gracias.
    Arch

• Travmad's Profile Photo

by Travmad Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I've just returned from a day trip to Palenque and totally true the tour guides will find you in the car park. I couldn't see the point in paying for one since I had only a short period of time there. Out of curiosity I ask the price for the guide and the number was 500 pesos. BTW I took the day tour from San Cristobal for 400 pesos that included transportation and park fees to two water falls and Palenque. More than half of the tour departed the van at Maya Bella Hotel within the ruins so they could walk to the ruins from the back of the hotel the next day.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Online Now Jan 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Good to know I'm not alone, thanks for sharing

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines