Palanga Travel Answers

change location
MsLena's Profile Photo

Palanga in Lithaunia

by MsLena Online Now Jun 10, 2012 at 8:30 AM

My sister and I are going to Palanga July 5 to 8. The trip was a spontaneous booking, we do not know much beyond that there are nice beaches in Palanga, so we're hoping for good weather. We will stay at the Hotel Po Kastonu on Maironio G. 34th.

What can you absolutely not miss in Palanga, and what it is advisable to miss? What's the deal on the SPA front? We are both about 40 and like bars, but do not like clubs. We also like good food, and are happy to pay extra for it to be good. We would like to test the local food in a nice restaurant. Places to shop? Nice trips to do outside Palanga?

We have previously been in Tallinn and Riga; how is Palanga compared to these cities?

Thanks
/Lena

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • 68maciek's Profile Photo

Re: Palanga in Lithaunia

by 68maciek Online Now Jun 11, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Palanga would be just another crowded Baltic resort if not former Tyszkiewicz's Palace The Amber Museum presently and Kretinga's one .
    Kursian Spite over Klapeida is far more interesting.
    Also the totally empty, extremely beautiful beaches just over the Lithuanian/Latvian border were really surprising for me as a person from crowded Poland.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • remigia's Profile Photo

by remigia Online Now Jun 11, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Hi
    Palanga is the bussiest and most crowded resort in Lithuania. And especially at the time of your visit- we have national holiday on July 6, day-off, so crowds are coming to the seaside. If you prefer less crowded beach- go to Sventoji. And of course, you cannot compare Palanga to Riga-it's like comparing small village and capital town:)
    Unfortunally, i haven't been here for awhile, so cannot recommend anything special. But for better shopping and national food you should go to Klaipeda- it's just 25km trip and mini-busses go quite often. Then also go for a trip to Curonian split, it's dunes are UNESCO landscape heritage. Kretinga is also not too far and it has nice monastery complex and palace with winter garden.
    have fun:)
    Remi:)

• MsLena's Profile Photo

by MsLena Online Now Jun 12, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Thank you for the answers.

We will for sure go to Curonian split, and to Kretinga if we get tiered of the beach or the weather is bad. But which part of Curonian split is the nicest one? How far down the split should we continue? Will we find anything but sand and beaches? (We love beaches, just want to know). Can we go there by bus or something, or is taxi the only way to travel?

• remigia's Profile Photo

by remigia Online Now Jun 13, 2012 at 12:29 AM

hi again
    Nida- that's the main spot of Curonian Split and the Grand Dune-they are most beautiful. The other 3 villages in the Split are just ordinary calm family resorts. You can check for for info and photos in:
    www.nerija.lt
    Remi:)

• aterola's Profile Photo

by aterola Online Now Jun 14, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Hello, yes, I live in Klaipeda and as Jonelis said I might give some advices. To try local food in a good restaurant - restauraqnt Vandenis on Birutes street. It has a huge terrace for nice weather dining. This restaurant is not a formal one, but keeps a good level of service and food. For national dishes I can recomend you to try Saltibarsciai (cold soup from yogurt kind with cucumber, dill and beet-root. This is the best place for this soup in Western Lithuania for me :-) Another dish can be Cepelinai, it is a potatoe dumpling with minced meat inside boiled in the water. I just want to recomend you to take half portion of soup and half of cepelinai, they do it there, no problem. Their deserts are not very special, but you can try carrot pie. This restaurant also has a concert hall with tables, so you can go to concert and have desert or drinks or other food there.

by aterola Online Now Jun 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM

www.vandenis.lt sorry I forgot the link to write in the previous comment.

Another place for possible doing is Club Ramybe, they have two buildings - one is restaurant with art events - exhibitions and sometimes live music, but it is a small place. Then on other side of Vytautas street they have a big building, where they have very nice concerts and also you get table and you can order snacks and drinks, but not a full meal. Service is a bit slow, but concerts usually very good. But sometimes they have performances on Lithuanian language as a small theater, so don't go there by mistake.
    Klubas ramybe you can check on facebook or www.klubasramybe.lt I saw the 6th July they have a concert there group Rasabasa... It is Lithuanian, but I am not sure what is it, maybe youtube?

by aterola Online Now Jun 14, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Another thing what we say is must to see is a Tiskevicius park and amber museum. Park is designed by E.Andre, a very famous French master, and the amber museum takes place in a Manor. In summer they have classic music concerts in the rose garden of the Manor. www.pgm.lt

by aterola Online Now Jun 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM

For SPA I like Vanagupe Golden Spa. Vanagupe hotel is a five star hotel, it has two SPA centers - one has a swimming pool, Jacuzzi with a hot water, dry sauna, steam sauna. The other called Golden SPA has one pool with jacuzzi side, other kind of bubbles and water massage. They have my favorite aromatic steam sauna and also traditional steam sauna, ice room, two massage showers, they also open terrace in summer. I like Golden SPA, because most of the time when I go on working day, there is nobody else there.
    www.vanagupe.lt I don't know exactly about changes for high season, but now I pay 20 euro for three hours in both SPA on working weekdays. They offer also all beauty and relaxing things... But to get to Vanagupe you should take taxi maybe... Or just a bit walking, because Vanagupe is on the very Northern end of Palanga.

by aterola Online Now Jun 15, 2012 at 12:09 AM

As advised before, maybe you can go to Nida for a day trip. From Palanga buss station you take minivan or buss to Klaipeda (30 minutes road), then from the station you can get a buss to Nida, price is 13 - 18 litas one way per person. I think it includes ferry ticket. To get back you can go by minivan to the ferry terminal, take the ferry to Klaipeda (10 minutes and 1 euro price) and you will be in the old town of Klaipeda. You can look around and then you can even walk or take a taxi to buss station to get your minivan to Palanga. It sounds difficult, but it is not, because everything is in short distances and if you want, I will tell you more detailed. There are only three busses to Nida, so check intercity times on www.klap.lt, now they have only up to 6 July, I can't check for you. But on sixth of July they have two busses on good time - one is 10:55, and another 11:15, you will be in Nida at midday.

by aterola Online Now Jun 15, 2012 at 12:13 AM

And for the end- Palanga is crowded, but still it is a small town with a lot of green areas, and small wooden houses, so you can find relax :-) The main pedestrian street leading to the SEA bridge Basanaviciaus street becomes crowded and noisy place, where all bars play music and attractions for children and shops and kiosks owners try to earn money for the rest of the year, when Palanga becomes silent village :-)
    Enjoy your stay!

• MsLena's Profile Photo

by MsLena Online Now Jul 3, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Hello Aterola
    This may be a little late since we are going to Planaga tomorrow, but I would be happy if you could tell us some more details about how to get from Palanga to Nida. From what I find on the Internet it looks like we have to take a ferry from Klaipeda to Smiltynė and then a bus to Nida, I canĀ“t find any information about a bus from Klaipeda to Nida. I think we will go this Friday.

I have problems understanding where to find the information on the site http://www.klap.lt. I have been looking at these two sites klaipedainfo.lt/en/index.php... and klaipedainfo.lt/en/index.php..., but I find it hard to figure out which ferries are corresponding with buses from Smiltynė to Nida. Should we chose the old or the new ferry terminal to/from Klaipeda?

Thank you.

by aterola Online Now Jul 3, 2012 at 11:31 AM

hello again, I hope you can see my answer before friday..
    The best thing is to get a minivan or buss from Palanga to Klaipeda and in the same buss station you change to the buss directly to Nida. I just called to information center, there wil be two busses to Nida at 10:55 and at 11:15. Friday is a public holiday in Lithuania, so busses will follow the Saturday times. Back from Nida to Klaipeda buss station you can get at 16:30 - the last buss. but there are also minivans. I wil try to find the schedule. When you go from Klaipeda buss station to Nida, the buss will go to ferry and you don't need anything, just relax until Nida. Usually you can get out of buss in the ferry to take photos, but it is only 10 minutes, so it is short. if you have motion sickness, I would inform, that the road to Nida is a bit curvy.
    Now I go to look for more schedules...

by aterola Online Now Jul 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM

The old ferry from Klaipeda old town takes only passengers, no cars. The new ferry is a bit further, it takes people and cars. If you will go from buss station by buss to ferry, it will be a new ferry. The buss will just continue to Nida, you don't have to worry about ferries.
    If you want to take ferry on your own and then to look for transportation, then you have to take the old ferry, because only there all busses and minivans stop.
    Ferries you can check here: http://www.keltas.lt/eng/Timetable

by aterola Online Now Jul 3, 2012 at 11:52 AM

So... If you take an old ferry from Klaipeda to Smiltyne, you can get these busses just in from of ferry arrival and the busses are connected to ferries arrivals. So from Smiltyne to Nida there should be these busses :visitneringa.com/lt/main/inf...

But it is in Lithuanian, so I will write times for you: Smiltyne to Nida : 8:15, 9:15, 10:15, 11:15, 12:15 and so on up to 22:14. One side road takes a bit less than one hour.
    Back from Nida to Smiltyne - I will start at 16:00, 17:00, 18:00, 19:00, 20:00, 21:00. I will not recommend you to wait for the last buss, better try to get the second last. Sometimes they make it flexible and if very bad weather and little people, they can skip one buss.
    Some busses stop in other small fisherman villages on the way, it depends if there are passengers on the buss wishing to go there, so don't be surprised, if buss will take a bit out of the main road and then will come back to the main road to continue.

• MsLena's Profile Photo

by MsLena Online Now Jul 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Thanks again, we are leaving tonight so we did see your ansvar. Thank you for all the help.

I an sure we will have i wounderful time att the Curonian Spit and in Nida.

/Lena
    ladiesabroad.se

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines